Home Career & Education

Architecture to studying Game Design

ArAnish
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ArAnish null
Hi everyone, I recently graduated from a 5-year bachelor course in Architecture. Right now I'm freelancing as an Architect and a Graphic Designer. Now that I'm thinking of advancing my studies to masters, I wanted to know if there is any suitable masters or equivalent degree I can apply for that is related to game design with my B.Arch degree.

I know that video games aren't the real world. Video game levels don't have the same kind of constraints. More than anything, the most important function they serve is the game play and a lot of knowledge of a real architect is extraneous.
But I believe that video games allow us to abandon our preconceptions of what is a building or space and reinterpret architectural language as we see fit, that is what I want as my final direction.

And also, I am more than a bit overwhelmed by the amount of new things I have to learn to have more than a passing knowledge in how a game works. All the forums I have seen until now have people screaming 'nope' at everyone who even proposes a career in gaming after architecture.
I'm not trying to build a career just yet, I know I'm little more than a complete amateur when it comes to game design right now, but I want to try my hardest to do so, through learning it properly as a degree, masters preferably.

Sorry for the long post.
I think most people would think of my decision as stupid, but it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

TL;DR : Suggest degree courses related to game design to a recently graduated architect, preferably masters.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Can you clarify what you mean by game design?

Right now it sounds like you're strictly talking level design, but I might be mistaken.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

An architectural background shouldn't I would think preclude a crossover too game design, given that both disciplines share an aesthetic element conceptually speaking when generating their respective output/ideas.

EDIT:

I can't recommend a formal edu stream but there are online alternatives with industry accreditation, so the Gnomon school perhaps? just check them out for yourself if a feasible option for consideration.

• ArAnish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArAnish null
    Brian: By game design I mean courses related to the industry, where my skill sets might be useful. I don't think I have enough knowledge in the field to specify exactly what kind of courses I'm looking for.
    Sacboi: I would like suggestions for a possible degree course. I want to properly educate myself in the field before I try making a career.  But I will check out your suggestion. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Do you really want to spend another 5 years into mastering another craft? My wife is an architect and from what I can suggest you do, is learn a little bit about 3d and how you create game assets, only to boost your creation of architectural visualisation with a realistic feel. And earn to render better.That being said, you so not need a degree in this field, nor you would need if you want a career out of it. People here look at portfolios 95% of the times. 

I would suggest you take some onlike courses like gumroad or pluralsight ( I recomend pluralsight as I learned alot from there with a very little amount of money) it is 30$ per month and u watch unlimited video courses which are very helpfull. It also has skill level paths. Worst case scenario you lose 30$.Why not try?
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    the first ever level designers where architects. That's why I think old games like the first Halo has such unique art style and level design. I mean some of those levels where pure art. 

These days it's just greebly everything and copy the hot trend. I think an Architect would make a very powerful environment designer.