Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

B0lly's system shock 2 environment thread

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
b0lly polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys! 
I'm currently studying 3d art fulltime, and on the side I'm gonna build a system shock 2-environment in Unreal. I'm still kind of a beginner both with modular environments and also with working in Unreal so I'm hoping I'm gonna learn lots from this! I hope someone is gonna enjoy watching the progress :)

I've decided to make the room where you start off the game after you've done the training. What I've gotten so far is a blockout in Unreal and a couple of modular placeholder wallpieces. I'm still trying to figure out things like the hight of walls/roof and width of floor etc. Probably gonna have to tweak it a bit in my version for the sake of modularity.

my blockout:
https://i.imgur.com/D0AMiLu.gif

original game:
https://i.imgur.com/gJvR0qV.gif

Gonna keep posting in this thread as I progress. Feel free to give feedback and comments!

Replies

• b0lly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5
    Oh and I forgot to add a pretty important detail - I am gonna try and make it as modular as possible and with a more contemporary style that fits todays standard better. Some juice PBR texturing coming up!
  • b0lly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5

Been tweaking the scene a bit the past couple of days. I've made modular corner wall parts and generally just been moving around stuff to use as little modules as possible in the scene.
    Its hard to get a 1:1 scene, not only because the difference in display resolution but also FOV and stuff. Also the old game isn't modular and mine is so that obv poses some problems when it comes to mimicing the scene :D

Today I'm gonna start making floor modules placeholders!

• b0lly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5
    A short vid of todays progress:

I've made modular floor parts, and tweaked, polished and fixed blockout and what pieces are gonna be needed. Tomorrow I'm gonna go over the environment to make sure all modular parts are used that I've made, if not, I'm gonna delete them out of the library etc. 
  • b0lly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5

So I've gone over all the modular parts and I think they're done for now. Time to start making stuff look good! Started off by making a super fast version of how I think I'm gonna make the cryotubes. Next step is to figure out how I want the walls to look. I've made a pretty basic and clean scifi-environment before so now I'm thinking I'm gonna make it a bit more messy/cyberbunk/generic cool spacestation with actual geometry on the wall sections and not just a flat surface. If that makes sence. 

• b0lly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b0lly polycounter lvl 5

here are some pieces that i made for the scene last week! A big window, a small window, a ladder and a roof-piece with monitors. Dont mind the wall textures in the vid, they share the same texture atm with some wall pieces i baked AO on so thats why they look messed up. 
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    I have not played the original game so I cant comment on anything with that. But I think you already at this stage can block in your lighting and try to set a mood.

What do you want the focal point to be? Try to highlight that and make it pop out. And also your blockout is really blocky (no pun intended), I would personally like to see you blocking in some medium shapes as well to try to set the level of detail you would like to achieve. As it right now just looks like a basic BSP blockout, and not like you have used modular pieces.

You can push this further and make it really good easily!

Good luck.