Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Solaire Character Model looking for feedback please!

JonBick0
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
JonBick0 polycounter lvl 3
Feedback is encouraged, please help me!

Im looking for a critique of my modeling and topology, is it okay that i modeled certain parts seperate to the base body mesh?
such as the helmet, wrist armor, belt, cloth, and greaves. With this poly count could this character be used in a video game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64iEpK9cisw 

Replies

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    A couple points that will help people give you feedback:

• We don't need to see the bones if we are going to critique your modeling, it just makes your geometry harder to see
    • More renders of the wireframes and textures, your renders are really zoomed out and small.
    • Be more specific, what would you like feedback on? The polyflow? textures? final renders? What kind of specs are you targeting? Something like a 3000 triangle hand painted character has different thigns to focus on in comparison to a current gen 100K triangle PBR character
  • JonBick0
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thank you im new to this website, should i remove this post and come back with a better one, or should i just update it?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Update it now.
  • JonBick0
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i updated it with some closer pictures, and some questions about what im looking for in a critique
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Floating separted geo is fine; at best , you're looking at problem solving with the rigging.

168k polys is more likely than not to be used in a video game.  There's a lot of polys you could be saving, like on the helmet and other non deforming objects.

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    high poly counts are fine, when called for. This looks like a lot of wasted polygons though, very dense with very little detail.
  • JonBick0
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright thanks for the reply i had a lot less geometry before i went and smoothed everything is there anyway i can get geometry more like the preview smooth in maya?
  • MisterWolfen
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterWolfen polycounter lvl 8
    @JonBick0 With your PolyCount, a good way to look at it is by having the model levels of detail. You should be splitting the models polycount density into Small, Medium, and Large areas. In areas that have a lot of detail or are the focal point, you can make the mesh really dense, this is for areas like the head, where people are going to be looking, or the hands since they need the extra geo. Medium detail areas are places like the torso, since that area will move a considerable amount. Lastly the feet and legs, and generally areas that you don't need all that much detail can be fairly low poly. 

Try to look at your model as a whole to distribute it nicely, and you'l be good :)
  • JonBick0
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the advice!