Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Attic Environment

joejoe20
null
Offline / Send Message
joejoe20 null
Hi, I am starting this forum for a project I am making which I am hoping to get some advice and critique on my work as I am an aspiring environment artist. so for this project, I was looking at making an attic environment which will be loosely based on the uncharted 4 attic environment as you can see from the mood board below. I will be posting some modelling which can be critiqued but for now I'm in the planning stage for this project I would appreciate some advice on anything I might have missed or any suggestions on what I could add to this environment if I don't talk about it in the planning stage or if there is a better way of making something I have planned out please feel free to comment below.For these moodboards, I have collected some images of the attic environments which would like to use for reference images for the modelling stage for this project and I have sourced these images on google and I have also gathered images of other artists work I have been looking at for inspiration.    

Replies

• joejoe20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joejoe20 null
    https://i.imgur.com/E1bSwF1.jpgnow that I have collected some images for the general look of the environment I have also gone on to gathering some more images for the individual assets in the scene and also what sections of the environment will look like the walls of the environment and for the individual assets I am making some artefacts models because this has an archaeological element to this scene I have gathered images fro those models as well as items which might feature in an attic environment owned by an archaeologist like globes, books and painting just to name a few

Walls 

Lamp

Ropes

Boxes

BoardGames

Chair

Gun

Wires 

Maps

Books 

Bikes

House Hold Items

Filing Cabinet 

Documents

old Furniture

Journals 

Artefacts

Chests 

Desk 

Covered Items 

Shelves

Paintings and pictures

Weapons Cases

Wood Beams

LapTop

Work Light 

Climbing Gear 

Book Shelves 

Crates 

Globe 

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    The amount of references you've collected is insane. I'm not sure why you need 9 references for filing cabinets, but each to their own! Good luck on this project.
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Well if the environment creation is as in-depth as the reference collection then I'm looking forward to seeing this develop!
  • joejoe20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joejoe20 null
    AssetList
    From the research i have collected i have constructed an asset list to keep track of the modelling throughout this project.

Modelling 

since my last post, I have done some other research into how this will all come together in terms of modelling , texturing and presenting but I won't be posting this research on here as there is to much and i feel this take away from the models as you will have to scroll down far to see my models so I will just start this post with the block out to show the end result of the research and move straight into the modelling of the environment. now with the modelling, I will be doing the modelling in passes to speed up the production of the project. 

now that I have done the block out for the scene I will be starting the low polygon modelling pass in the modelling stage of the environment here are the renders of the models I have modelled so far for my project. 

Once the low poly models are finished I will be making the high poly models for these low poly models by using 3ds max for and swift loops to add detail and for the other i will be using ZBrush to sculpt detail for the main high poly models.

• joejoe20
  • Tetranome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    Very organised. I like the assets.
    I think you could keep a better eye on polygon density. Those paper rolls vs. the vases show it best.
    Staying tuned :)
  • joejoe20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joejoe20 null
    now that I have modelled the assets for the scene I have now gone on to texture my models some I'm really proud of but others need some more work done to them but happy none the less with the assets I have produced.

• CrackRockSteady
    There is obviously a lot of thought and planning that has already gone into this environment and that's a good thing.  However, you've chosen a scene that contains a lot of assets, and most of the assets that you've posted need more work on modeling, baking, and texturing.

Before diving headfirst into creating the rest of the scene I would suggest taking a step back.  Choose one of the props from your list and take your time making it properly.  Make a high poly and a low poly model, bake proper maps, and texture it, posting progress here for feedback at each step of the process.  When you have a good looking asset and a solid understanding of the pipeline, repeat the process on the remaining props.

It seems like a lot of work (and it is) but it'll be a lot more rewarding to slowly output quality work while learning proper techniques that will culminate in a better final product.  If you put together your scene with the assets as you currently have them you'll spend a lot of time and effort on a scene that won't be very impressive and you'll likely learn bad habits along the way.  I know it can be exciting to start a new project and you want to get things finished as quickly as possible and see your scene come together but it's important to understand the asset creation process so you can make things that are done properly and look good.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    You have so many wood and metal objects with grain that do not follow their construction. (ladder is prime example). Shows you either didn't bother to learn how to fix, or didn't see as an issue. Any AD worth a damn would conclude you don't have attention for detail, and pass on you.  Substance is a tool, and this shouldn't be paint by numbers.....you can layer stuff, you can add detail in zbrush or other sculpting programs, you went the lazy route across the board and it shows. While there is quantity, none of these speak to a high quality bar. I would suggest finding a smaller project, or focusing on bumping the quality bar up on A LOT of these assets. (facets shouldn't be visible on some of these, polycount doesn't need to be that low). Not a dead end, but it's a pretty big reset if you want to hit the quality and craftsmanship of your inspiration.
  • joejoe20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joejoe20 null
    You have so many wood and metal objects with grain that do not follow their construction. (ladder is prime example). Shows you either didn't bother to learn how to fix, or didn't see as an issue. Any AD worth a damn would conclude you don't have attention for detail, and pass on you.  Substance is a tool, and this shouldn't be paint by numbers.....you can layer stuff, you can add detail in zbrush or other sculpting programs, you went the lazy route across the board and it shows. While there is quantity, none of these speak to a high quality bar. I would suggest finding a smaller project, or focusing on bumping the quality bar up on A LOT of these assets. (facets shouldn't be visible on some of these, polycount doesn't need to be that low). Not a dead end, but it's a pretty big reset if you want to hit the quality and craftsmanship of your inspiration.
    thanks for the feedback i know it looks like the lazy route and for some of them it is but i plan on improving these assets over the summer ready for when i start applying for jobs. you feedback is appreciated i hope you keep an eye on this thread when i post the improvements on this work.

Thanks joe stenning 
  • joejoe20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joejoe20 null

There is obviously a lot of thought and planning that has already gone into this environment and that's a good thing.  However, you've chosen a scene that contains a lot of assets, and most of the assets that you've posted need more work on modeling, baking, and texturing.

Before diving headfirst into creating the rest of the scene I would suggest taking a step back.  Choose one of the props from your list and take your time making it properly.  Make a high poly and a low poly model, bake proper maps, and texture it, posting progress here for feedback at each step of the process.  When you have a good looking asset and a solid understanding of the pipeline, repeat the process on the remaining props.

It seems like a lot of work (and it is) but it'll be a lot more rewarding to slowly output quality work while learning proper techniques that will culminate in a better final product.  If you put together your scene with the assets as you currently have them you'll spend a lot of time and effort on a scene that won't be very impressive and you'll likely learn bad habits along the way.  I know it can be exciting to start a new project and you want to get things finished as quickly as possible and see your scene come together but it's important to understand the asset creation process so you can make things that are done properly and look good.
    Thank you crackrocksteady i really appreciated your feedback and i will be looking at improving this work before i start putting the scene together in UE4 i hope you keep an eye on this thread for when i post improvements you input would be greatly appreciated.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    As Pixelpatron said, my biggest critique so far is the wood grain is always going the wrong way on your props. Also, the silhouette of the chair shows that it needs more polys.