Home Career & Education

Blizzard Internship

node
Offline / Send Message
Savven node
Once again Blizzard internships are open. Is anyone applying who would like to show their portfolio? I never get much when searching on google so I figured I'd ask here. It's very interesting seeing other people's work.

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    how about you start with sharing what you intend to apply with? :) 
  • Savven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Savven node
    Neox said:
    how about you start with sharing what you intend to apply with? :) 

Unfortunately I don't think I will be applying this year. But it's always motivating to see others post their work,
  • Savven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Savven node
    JoshuaG said:
    You should still share your portfolio.
    Well my portfolio is kinda non existent the moment ^^;
    I am working on it though...A lot of my works are really old and don't represent my current skills. I've been on a pretty long art hiatus.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I get that it's old, but it's still your work.  Think of all the poeple YOU'LL be motivating by showing how much better you've gotten over time by showing how far along you were.

The shorter, meaner response would be "That just sounds like an excuse," so I'd say use this opportunity to give to others instead of listening to your fears.

YOU make the first move.
  • Savven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Savven node
    I get that it's old, but it's still your work.  Think of all the poeple YOU'LL be motivating by showing how much better you've gotten over time by showing how far along you were.

The shorter, meaner response would be "That just sounds like an excuse," so I'd say use this opportunity to give to others instead of listening to your fears.

YOU make the first move.
    Wow thank you, I truly appreciate that. I've been pretty afraid to pick up my pen cause I fear failure but I guess I won't improve if I don't continue. :)
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    If you don't pick it up how will you improve? (improving means failing and learning, and doing it right the next time etc etc)

if you just ask people to share without giving them back something, people might start getting a bit defensive.
    start by showing yours (whether or not you're applying doesn't really matter in this case), and asking for what other people applying have in theirs, what people think about the level, or any feedback they might have.
    As you're improving and replacing your old files, you'll show progress which is equally important to just having a nice portfolio... 

Yes, the art in your portfolio might not accurately represent your current level (no one's portfolio actually does as you learn with every new art piece you do) but there is always things to learn from it. And if you are aiming to work in a studio, you need to start to learn to show your work to others :)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Embrace failure. It means you are taking action, which is the most critical thing. Lack of action kills dreams and that is far worse than failing. 

Learn to love the process of creating art and not just the end result and your journey will be much more enjoyable. 

Sometimes it just comes down to self dicipline and getting started even if you dont feel like it, thats what seperates the pros from hobbyists. There were plenty of days during my time at different studios that i didnt feel like working, or the work i was producing wasnt perfect, and i gaurentee if you get that internship you will have those days as well. You just sit down and get to work and dont let your fear or feelings hold you back.