Home Career & Education

Jobvite Application Process

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
Hey,

So I applied to a gaming studio via jobvite. I just noticed that the job application status has changed to 'closed'. I haven't received a rejection letter yet.

I've applied to this company before and it usually changes to 'Not Selected' if I'm unsuccessful.

Should I be worried or does the 'closed' status means thet're not actively looking for more people and they're reviewing the ones they already have?

The job listing is still on the games studio website, though. 

Replies

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Here's what Jobvite themselves say:
    Here is the breakdown on the meaning of all the different job application status options:
    New: Application received.In Process: The company is reviewing the application.Not Selected: The company has not selected the applicant for the position.Hired: The candidate has been selected for the position.Closed: The job has been closed. No further information is available.Perhaps it just hasn't been delisted yet? Or maybe they're on a hiring freeze but leaving open the position in case something changes?
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Just noticed the job posting has been taken down on the website. Is this a good sign? Maybe... maybe not.....

I'm sooooo nervous and anxious.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most recruiters don't send rejection notifications. This thread might help explain it
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2353223/#Comment_2353223

The best thing to do is not to hang all your hopes on one particular opening, or even one particular studio. Just keep improving your portfolio, keep making contacts, and keep applying to places.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry#How_to_Get_In
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while since I've applied but when I was doing blanket applications to anything and everything 1 in 10 emailed me a rejection. Game dev companies in particular get a lot of people that have no business applying for positions. When I was at Bethesda I talked to someone who did some of the hiring and they said they easily got 25-50 garbage resumes for every serious candidate and I doubt they emailed them all.

I'd say don't get too hung up on any one position. 
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I'm kind of in the same/similar boat. 
    On jobvite, my application still says "in Process". Which normally wouldnt mean anything to me, just that they're taking their time to tell me no, but this time i heard from a friend of mine that he already got a rejection from them after taking the same test. So it sounds like they havent gotten around to telling me no yet. I'm not sure whats taking so long, but I took the test earlier than my friend, so I'm not sure what thats about.
    Either way instead of getting hung up on it, i just started working on new pieces for my portfolio.  
    Have any of you had a similar experience? 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    @samnwck By garbage resumes, do you mean portfolios which didn't stand up to the 'serious candidate', or do you mean people who were unequipped to apply (i.e. no portfolio, no game art, etc)?
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically the ones that just had no business applying,  no serious art portfolio/ any portfolio. A lot of dreamers want to be in game dev, but it's work like anything else. 
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    SO wondering what you folks think right here:
    I applied to a studio in September, got an art test in October. After, the people in charge said they'd get back to me in a few weeks. It's a month and change later and no response. Others tell me to forget it and move on, and I say no, because I'd rather not bust my tail for a week just to get ghosted. Jobvite application still says in process. SO i email back the HR manager asking if I can get some feedback. HR manager gets back to me within a day saying that they are still undergoing the reviewing process. 
    Has this happened to anybody? What could they possibly still be reviewing? Ive had a few friends give me their theories but I'd like to know what y'all think. I know they've said no to other people already, a few of my friends applied and got rejections pretty quickly. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep applying elsewhere. There are a bunch of reasons why they could be holding onto it, none of which they're going to tell you.

For example, maybe they have another applicant they like better but there's some kind of hold up (work visa is still in process, etc.). So they're keeping your application in reserve in case the other one doesn't work out. The recruiter thread I mentioned before lists a few of these scenarios.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Yeah I hadnt let this hang me up. I was mainly curious to see if anyone else had experience that same thing. Gracias Eric