Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mobile Game prototype, feedbacks needed for a poor 3d artist getting back to 2d!

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Olingova interpolator
Hello Polycount!

I'm a 3d artist, mainly working on environment, but i recently started a 2D mobile project. I've never really did any important 2d project, so here i am to seek some crits or feedbacks on the first sketches!

Since we are still prototyping the project, those are just some raw temporary sketches: here are the first try to get my drawing skills back (didnt succeed tho :p)

I'm really new to the photoshopp painting, more used to maya and substance designer and painter :p So i tried a quick colorizing with hue saturation layer is it a viable way to go?

Every character would need 2 artwork: one for the overall character view (such as above) and one for the fight screen as i quickly started below

Since those will be used for a mobile game, i won't need an incredible level of detail (luckily for me :D). I work on this project on my spare time but i will post updates everytime i can. I realize it can be difficult to judge or give feedbacks since those sketches are not finished at all yet but any crits is really good to take for a newbie like me :)

Thanks girls and guys!

Replies

• EricElwell
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Don't be discouraged by getting back into drawing. It's partly maintenance. Keep at it daily and focus on good habits. Drawing from the shoulder, checking shape relationships, using ref, etc. as far as coloring via HSL adjustment layers. While I do incorporate them often, they aren't effective without a good informational base (color already present, so you can be very selective about targeting your edits to underlying hue and value ranges), and additionally shifting color via Color Balance or Curves. In your case I would recommend zoning out your shape design in different sets of value, then use Gradient Mapping. Then maybe you could Color Balance to fine tune some lighting info. Will you be animating these guys? 
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator

Don't be discouraged by getting back into drawing. It's partly maintenance. Keep at it daily and focus on good habits. Drawing from the shoulder, checking shape relationships, using ref, etc. as far as coloring via HSL adjustment layers. While I do incorporate them often, they aren't effective without a good informational base (color already present, so you can be very selective about targeting your edits to underlying hue and value ranges), and additionally shifting color via Color Balance or Curves. In your case I would recommend zoning out your shape design in different sets of value, then use Gradient Mapping. Then maybe you could Color Balance to fine tune some lighting info. Will you be animating these guys? 
    Thanks man for the cheering :D Yeah, it actually feel really good to start drawing again, i try to draw smthing everyday but with work, friends and stuff it's not always easy... Yeah i feel like i lack of reference (anatomy or clothes folds) when drawing i started using more, but i dont really see what you mean with frawing from the shoulder? :smile:

We planned to dynamic light those guys with a 2d normal map so for the moment i dont really know where should i stop the lighting strenght, gotta make some test (hopefully tomorrow). Yeah i totally got to zone out my shapes with different values that4s a great tip! Too bad i didn't read before keeping up the drafts below haha

I did some mushrooms for first ground texture test, i kept drawing the first draft for the dwarf (gotta apply the feedbacks tho :) )

• EricElwell
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    "Drawing from the shoulder" means that you lock your wrist, and all rotation should happen in your elbow and shoulder. It forces you to take bigger more deliberate strokes. Mechanically, you should be getting smoother arcs with it (just think how many joints are at work when you use you fingers and wrist). It's also less damaging to your body. Carpel Tunnel is no joke. 
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    How yeah ok, haha i thought it was a conplicate concept or whatsoever :p ok thanks for thoses advices i ll definitely pay attention to that! Yeah i'm always scared of ending with a broken back aswell with all this time spent on a chair... 
    I'll use my shoulder as a natural lazy mouse !