Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Callum Tweedie-Walker

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
tweedie polycounter lvl 4
Hey!

Thought I'd get one of these set up, in an effort to start documenting whatever I happen to be working on more regularly and just to broaden my sources of crit :) 

This has been a small project I've come back to every couple of months; taking work that was pre-rendered and moving it to realtime, seeing how far I can take it in a couple of hours. I've been particularly enjoying lighting recently so most of my tinkering revolves around that. For anybody interested, this is a Ferrari Dino 246 GT, with wire wheels because I felt the original wheels were a bit clunky.

Rendered in Unity with the new post and realtime area lights. The HDR I'm using is a bit janky so some of the reflections aren't as pretty as they could be, but I think it's mostly ok. At some point I'd like to have a go at making a good paint shader for it, as currently this is essentially glossy plastic. It also needs some spec breakup, and the headlight casing glass is nigh invisible at the moment. Anyways, art spam:

And just some colour variants for fun:

Thanks for looking, feedback of any kind is welcome :)

Replies

• tweedie
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with a planet shot for a project I'm working on (Unity)

And a shot in motion, still need to fix some particles popping

• tweedie
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on a mech / environment piece, based on a concept by Simon Stalenhag, but I've chosen a setting more akin to another of his concepts. Only really worked on the mech so far, the rest of the scene is just cubes and cylinders. I think I'll start on the ground next, as some nice features on that should give the mech a better sense of scale. I'm also thinking of having him wired up to a charging station by the building. Any feedback is appreciated! :)

• mine
    Offline / Send Message
    mine polycounter lvl 3
    Another Simon Stålenhag inspired project, I love it! :)

Your robot is looking great, I can't wait to see more.
  • tweedie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @mine! :)

Quick update, given a first pass on the buildings and threw together a couple of shots. 

password: bigbluemech

• tweedie
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty minor update with a few changes and a new shot closer to the ground to have some screen time for that shader.

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    tweedie said:
    Pretty minor update with a few changes and a new shot closer to the ground to have some screen time for that shader.

Wow this work is amazing! you should post it in here as well - http://polycount.com/discussion/181595/what-are-you-working-on-2017 
  • ultimateSpleen
    This is insane! The atmosphere of your work is just so cool and the materials are on point. Not to mention the actual modeling hahaha
  • tweedie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words guys! :) 

Here's another scene Ive been working on recently, still very WIP (lots of stuff not even modelled properly or textured) - spent most of my time working on design and the larger forms/shapes. It's inspired by an amalgam of different destiny concepts (love that art direction!), with the room shape / composition mostly based on this awesome concept: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ybNa9

I thought it'd be a fun exercise to put a different spin on it

At this stage it'd be great to get any crit on composition, scale and any of the larger design choices. Thanks for looking!

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, haven't I seen your work on the Unity forums as well?

I'm no expert to offer useful critiques, but I was admiring some of your scenes here and thought I'd share a few opinions since you asked:

I like the angularity of this corridor -- it instantly grounds me with that classic sci-fi look.

The color scheme isn't as engaging as it could be. Now, I really can't say what you could do different, but perhaps because this is an indoor corridor with a few bright lights illuminating it, the shadows should be sharper? But then, it looks like some bright ambient light is coming through those roof slats, so maybe that wouldn't be as realistic.

Another thing about that, perhaps some of the metal pieces could use more shininess? And that could also work to bring out by contrast those billowy insulation type pieces in the wall and ceiling.

All that said, please don't take my opinion very seriously. To be honest, if I was playing a game and I ran through this corridor, I wouldn't think anything of it. It could fit right in with most AAA games in my mind. Except I'd expect it to have more clutter perhaps. Maybe some layers of dust, or if it is to be a very pristine environment, a little more specularity in places to really sell that.

• tweedie
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Thanks for the feedback, all good stuff :) 

You've probably come across it haha, I post on the Unity forums from time to time (and both of these scenes are Unity). The colour scheme is something I've been playing with for quite some time. Originally it was in a cooler blue cast with the large doorway illumination emitting red light, but that was just too similar to the Stalenhag scene I'd done immediately before ! So I scrapped that, but I'm thinking of weaving in a few blue details (trims etc) to compliment the orange. 

Those are meant to be bright, chunky LED panels but because they're currently low poly cylinders that might not be reading too well (if that's what you thought were the roof slats), but I agree a lot of the shadows are likely too diffuse. Some of that may be the GI / indirect being a bit soft, so I'll have a play seeing how it looks a bit sharper, but when the two overhead light sources were casting sharp shadows, I found it a bit distracting.

Yeah you're totally right on the metals, currently they're not reflecting much, so they're very dark and don't read well, this is something I'm hoping to fix soon - especially, as you said, to contrast the fabrics. 
    All that said, please don't take my opinion very seriously. 
    All crit's worth listening to! Everything you said is completely valid. Clutter / props are something I need to start working on soon, should help it feel more used and aid the scale of the scene. I've also been thinking about having some sand/dust being blown in from the left, collecting in some floor panels etc, so I think I'll start on that too. Thanks again for the comments, I really appreciate it. :)