Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Luke Neubaum

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Luke_Neubaum polycounter lvl 6
Moving over to the forum because I'm really starting to get tired of my blogspot. (Especially the way it looks) My names Luke Neubaum I'm a 3d Environment Artist and recent graduate. Starting up a new project, and going a bit more on the stylised environment side. This means more exaggerated sculpts and less specular variation. I've posted the reference and my art test. (My art tests are just where I do a quick run through of a few assets and mess with the lighting, just so I get a feel of what I'm going to create. This is even before blockout.) I'm always open to critiques, it's how you get better as an artist. Sorry the reference is so tall. 

Replies

• Luke_Neubaum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More work on the some of the tree's today. Also finalizing a lot of substance painter custom smart masks. 
  • Luke_Neubaum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got picked up for an undisclosed game doing some freelance assets, and I'm allowed to post my WIPS! A lot of zbrush work for this project, while still making it modular. 
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Cool! I'm love'n that first image with the terraces. Definitely push this stylized stuff farther! Thanks for sharing :) 
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I agree with @EricElwell - first image is really cool.
  • Luke_Neubaum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EricElwell @lotet Thanks my dudes. I have to put the terraced scene on the backburner while I work freelance, but I am itching to get back on it. Here's freelance stuff that I can show. 
  • Luke_Neubaum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

More work on another project, much more stylized than my other works. Worked a great deal more on color and movement. 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/enJnD
  • Luke_Neubaum
  • Luke_Neubaum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Luke_Neubaum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been taking a break from Environment Art contracts to work on some personal stuff. I've been really thinking of expanding my own universe, along with writing a novel about it. I loved Allegories as a kid, and it would be kind of fun to make an allegorical game. The would require me to brush off 'ye olde code' but it would definitely be rewarding. This was rendered in Marmoset.  

• Piffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piffles polycounter lvl 5
    I really like the colors of the bot and how it contrasts with the background!
  • Luke_Neubaum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beginning work on a new project....

Really been influenced by Simon Stalenhags work recently, and I thought I'd pay homage with a little 3d scene. (I'm sure there many people who have done it before, but that doesn't mean I can't have a go at it!) 

I'll be poasting a lot of WIPS and if anyone has any questions or critiques, feel free to engage, it's always appreciated. I'll give a general outline of my workflow. I'm going to be using a standardized real-time workflow focused on a solo environment artist modeler. That is Maya------>Substance-------->UE4.  I'm going to be using SpeedTree, Marvelous Designer, World Machine, and Reality Capture to assist me along the way. 

To start things off- here is the reference image of Simon's Work
    https://www.simonstalenhag.se/

• Luke_Neubaum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the modeling and UV's already wrapped up. I did some changes to the model as I had to work off just one image. 

Current Tri Count is I would say relatively high, but I'm trying to cut as many corners as possible. I'll do some more re-topology later when I'm less sleepy. Cylinders are expensive. But on the other hand, this is a high fidelity hero asset, so 130k is horrific. I'm on the fence about this, should I retopo some more and bring it down, or keep it at its current fidelity? I'd love to hear what you guys think. 

• Luke_Neubaum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a little break to spend time with the girlfriend and family. Now I'm back on this project for about three hours(ish) a day. I switched over to generating the background terrain for the scene. The inspiration was the High Sierra's here in California. I've hiked them multiple times, so I thought I would add them in. 

I went a bit more lower on the snow, like it's just starting to melt, so you get all this criss crossing snow melt, and even the color of the soil is different. I would say I went to 80% accuracy of the reference images, because whats the fun if you can't exaggerate some rock formations here and there. 

The actual height information is pretty easy to create. Just adjust some perlin noise generators, and then run them through erosion filters. The key to get believable rocks is through Rock hardness and soil flow. Water and snow break down rock in different ways, so don't just put one erosion filter on you generators. Here I had two filters, one for the soil carry in the valley, and the other for the jagged mountain peaks. 

The rest of the graph is creating your texture height maps for UE4. It's mostly grabbing the height, slope, and erosion carry masks and blending them together in a believable way. If you would like me to create a more in depth tutorial on some World Machine techniques, let me know!