Home General Discussion

3D modelers replaced by A.I.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
neverland polycounter lvl 3
Hey there guys...
Is it true that soon 3d modelers will be replaced by A.I.??

Peace

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    neverland said:
    Hey there guys...

Peace
    Id say "soon" is a strong word, but yes.

take a look at this thread if you want to know more.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Yes.
    its the end.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    "Soon"  not just 3d modelers but everything will be replaced with AI.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    It's still a while but there's a catalyst coming.

Look at some fast food places or mini markets and they're switching to self serve kiosks instead of cashier help. Employers don't want to pay higher wages so they'll get robots to do it instead.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    For some subject matter sooner than others i would say. For more creative work it might be harder to systematize it, but for those artists whose portfolio consists of a mailbox, fire hydrant and a wooden crate....id be looking to get comfortabl with far more complex subject matter ;)
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    for those artists whose portfolio consists of a mailbox, fire hydrant and a wooden crate....
    I dunno why but I found that incredible funny.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    After 9 years of development at Google, AI can barely drive on a road. 
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Self-service checkouts = robots taking over 

fucks sake 
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Me punching a bunch of buttons on a kiosk still gives me a 50/50 chance of them fucking up my order, so I'm not exactly worried about any real sense of AI taking over. AI sex chat was not as erotic as I was expecting it to be.

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    This is definitely going to happen at some point. Especially with the fire hydrant people as it was mentioned before... From what I see its also exponential. I give fire hydrant people a few years, but later even "high level" programmers might loose their jobs. Not sure what humanity is going to do other than fapping in like 50 years. Sorry if that sounded obscene but lets face it.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    To be fair, after 40 years in the world, many people can barely drive on the road.
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    When will AI replace politicians?
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    AI won't replace modelers for a long time; don't believe the hype.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

neverland wrote:

Hey there guys...

Peace

Eh...?! news too me! 

As a mechanical hardsurface modeller I'll declare here and now that we're at the very least light years away when automation is even within shouting distance generating excellence in artistic/design level fidelity finessed by human input, let alone inflict redundancy upon highly skilled artisans with experience typically attained over many years.   

EDIT:

Oh!...and by the way what makes you think so in the first place??   

• Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Actually this will happen at the same time the Euclideon Inifinte Detail Engine replaces all polygon based engines.
  • derphouse
    Offline / Send Message
    derphouse polycounter lvl 4
    Tools we use now are already automated and have been for a long time. I'd agree the pace of what can be automated is increasing exponentially, and maybe faster than we can properly adapt, but I still think the result is the same; we re-define our occupation to accomodate new tools. Our ability to abstract to a higher level is a difficult task to solve for AI. Due to the fact that our desires and needs are not very logical, and can be impulses driven by bodily desires.

disclaimer: I am not saying AI is limited, or can't in some sense replace a lot of occupations completely. To be honest, some of the papers I've seen on it is such a mind blowing experience that I really have no idea.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    For some subject matter sooner than others i would say. For more creative work it might be harder to systematize it, but for those artists whose portfolio consists of a mailbox, fire hydrant and a wooden crate....id be looking to get comfortabl with far more complex subject matter ;)
    Hahaha, Some people should have taken a hint with this post...

• Alchemical
    Offline / Send Message
    Alchemical polycounter lvl 6
    Like with most things, even if this were to happen, I'm pretty confident there'd be a sizeable purist-culture for someone to work in regardless due to a rising novelty in "man-made"-creations as technology moves forward.

• JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Like with most things, even if this were to happen, I'm pretty confident there'd be a sizeable purist-culture for someone to work in regardless due to a rising novelty in "man-made"-creations as technology moves forward.

I agree with this.

I never saw automation as the end all to everything. Instead, automation means services are being traded in favor of productivity and efficiency. 

It's like traditional animation. 3D animation mostly took away all its revenue, but the talent still finds life in TV shows, anime, and Indie video games. Even big budget 3D movies still turn to it when creating a sort of pre-vis. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR-jIpZlvvc

It's very possible in an automated 3D world, a camera would be responsible for creating 99% of all digital models, and for the 1% that remains, the specialized hardsurface or character artists would create designs that either can't be taken from nature, or requires a modeler to block out scenes for the computer to learn from and then render instantly.

• Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    AI still has a problem being creative. I wouldn't mind ai taking over the retopo & UVW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY7x2Ihqjmc
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    by the time we are "replaced" the rest of the world will have already been, so it doesn't strike me as a particular concern as society will be forced to address it way before we ever reach the chopping block of redundancy as it were .
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    by the time we are "replaced" the rest of the world will have already been, so it doesn't strike me as a particular concern as society will be forced to address it way before we ever reach the chopping block of redundancy as it were .
    That kind of makes sense, all of the businesses based on public or private systems which provide a very clear set of prescribed functions would probably go ai based first right? eg buying a car or a house or using a bank, applying for a passport or booking a flight, shopping for food etc. Only once all those are working with ai would ai start to be at a point where it is getting intelligent enough to handle a creative task like for example - design a logo for a vintage styled audio tech company. - even then it would have to take a vast number of perameters into consideration, the human reaction to shapes and colours, cultural meanings based on who wants it and where they are from, other popular media that have these shapes or styles etc etc
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ^ That's probably true.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    you know if Ai replaces us, I think people will get bored and choose to switch it off. Then the Robos will catch on and kill us all.
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    When will AI replace politicians?
    Twitter bots already exist.
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I think AI driven kitbashed models with procedural textures should be already possible, even though inferior than human art direction at this point. AI field is more interested in other branches than 3d modeling for now.
  • mspalante
    Offline / Send Message
    mspalante polycounter lvl 6
    sziada said:
    you know if Ai replaces us, I think people will get bored and choose to switch it off. Then the Robos will catch on and kill us all.
    Sad but true!
  • battlecow
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    Since we all live in a simulation we all are AIs :smile:
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Keep in mind that 3d animation is a form of automation. It's a way to make animation using machines to simplify the process. Computer animation has already replaced a lot of traditional animation. 
  • CompanionCube
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    AI and automation will mean jobs won't be necessary in the future, we will only do things we enjoy. so if you want to 3D model in retro software or most likely in the future your desired XR then you can do it, but an AI will probably do it better.

We need to discuss what people are going to do with themselves in the future. Hoping for a Star Trek future where we explore the universe and there is no money.
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Yes but these algorythms will be developed once, and then it takes a very short amount of time to alter their function and improve it to something better. Science leaps expotentially
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    @Larry That's a religious statement, an expression of faith. Even conflating programming with "science" reveals a worldview centered on empiricism. Logic and math are not empirical disciplines. Speaking as a programmer, it has more to do with logic than with any science. 
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Even though it's not 3D Modelers, I just saw a new video from Boston Dynamics where they taught robots how to jump and do backflips.

So if you're an athlete, I would watch out.  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRj34o4hN4I
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
      They can't  do truly convenient,  logical and intuitive CG  tools  for  just a human being, both 3d and  texturing .      We wouldn't need armies of  CG artists working like Chaplin in "Modern Times"  if they could.   

Yeah, we saw a few tries recently but neither of them still even close to make "convenient software"   be no more an oxymoron in CG field.     
     I bet it would be same way as with  simple paint tubes which took centuries to be invented   all the way while poor artists  used pigs bladder to keep their oil paints from drying.       

We will see  that AI stuff on ipones  first   doing something  absolutely useless  as usual. 
  • Bigg__D
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigg__D polycounter lvl 4
    Maybe 3d modeling can be automated by AI but what aspect? Certainly AI is FAR away from generating original concept designs...right? Like if I tell an AI to model some real world object then ok, if I feed it an original of some fresh new character or weapon drawing then sure maybe AI can figure out to model it but how can it create some original designs? Thats why I've been learning traditional pencil & paper concepting 
  • Eric Chadwick
    we've looked at replacing all you fuckers with chat bots, believe me.

:D
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    we've looked at replacing all you tfuckers with chat bots, believe me.

I laughed so hard at this! You cannot copy my persona into an AI no matter how much you try...!
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    something related from GDC (presented by a forum member, no less):
    https://80.lv/articles/4-technologies-to-change-art-production/

it would be interesting to hear about it all from someone working for DICE as they are referred to in the article in particular (check the relevant links in the paragraph as well!) but i guess NDAs would put a stop to that.

personally, like probably many here i've seen LOD generation and texture layout (for export) getting automated with pretty nice, reliable results. it shaves time off that you tend to spend elsewhere.
    overall i'm not a fan of these predictions for enormous future savings in asset production time though since to me it reads as if they assume the visual standard will somehow just remain stagnant.

• CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    AI won't replace modelers; at most there will be less modelers having to model more; studios get more bang their buck if you can't keep up, you're replaced.

Instead of embracing all this non-sense about flying cars and robots taking us over; you all should have shouted it's bull crap.  Another generation they can fool.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Eric Chadwick wrote:

we've looked at replacing all you fuckers with chat bots, believe me.

Lolz...nearly choked on my cereal this morning after I clapped eyes on this li'l ditty and yeah maybe on too something there... ;)

• CompanionCube
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Short answer: No. AI will simply have you doing less manual labour shifting verts around and more design/creative decision making.
  • swann
  • Bumblebee
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumblebee polycounter lvl 3
    AI will never exceed the creativity of the human mind though.
  • Sterling_MLS
    Offline / Send Message
    Sterling_MLS polycounter lvl 3
    The role of the artist will focus more on creative direction and overseeing the AI. There is still a lot to be said for human creativity.
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Bumblebee said:
    AI will never exceed the creativity of the human mind though.
    Never say never. The whole universe is composed of patterns, that's all.
  • Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    They will, but by that point all other jobs will already be replaced and we'll be deep in civil war with all labourers, drivers, managers, admins, cashiers fighting machines on streets and at that point AI taking your job will be the least of your problems.
  • glapp
    I was wondering if now that is possible to create concept art with an acceptable quality with stable diffusion, if it is allowed to post it in this forum to receive feedback but not to pretend is own art but to ask if they should be considered useful for a storyboard or as a concept art to create 3d models based on them..
  • Michael Knubben

With current image generation all being based on datasets scraped from sources that never consented, we can’t endorse it. If ethical datasets become available, we will allow members using these as inspiration or a base to paint over, but the work done must be transformative. We will also expect users to mention that the image or its source is generated.

We’ll always side with artists, and there’s no shortage of them that have been personally harmed by this development. We should not give big companies power and money over small artists.

• Matt Fagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 9
    The idea of "AI" ever "replacing" us 'Artists' or anyone. Is utter rubbish to be said simply. That would be like saying your computer no longer needs you to use it, for it to use itself. The human race would see this miles long before it could ever come to fruition. I don't think a single human being really wants to surrender their sensory input to "interact" with things with the life they've been gifted to have.

AI will be absolutely a blessing to make "work" easier & less of a "grind". If you can't fathom or wrap your mind around this. Then you need to touch grass, because the world we know and built, requires oversight & maintenance by humans. Even if it is automated. The very least it would require is sight through observation by monitoring what the AI/Computer outputs. That in itself is a job, and what a delight it would be to execute on your ideas without having to put the physical & mental gymnastics to do so. Therefore, giving you the "artist" the opportunity to open your day to create & put new ideas to the test for research. Or have the spare time to simply create things, just as you would do. You probably can tell by what I've written that I don't buy into the "fear" every individual from the art scene is promoting, that's just short sighting your prospects for potential. When there is a will, there is always a way. My guess, is these individuals don't have as much of a will for the work they slaved themselves to. Because in the end, its the paycheck they want and not the craft they enjoy.

I was always an artist before I ever knew I would get into games, or the industry that pays my bills. It doesn't worry me to any degree. Why? Because we build "products" first & last. If you are an "illustrator" or "classical artist". You actually have literally nothing to fear, or worry about. Because everything you do, is marketed by you, and you alone. The whole "AI is going to take over" is just doomsday talk at this point, and doesn't help but poison impressionable minds, and the minds that espouse such rhetoric. Have faith, and know everything will be fine, and so will you.