Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

collapsible apothecary cart (updated) + night mode update

EVF
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
EVF polycounter lvl 3
First time using 3D to paint over a render... I feel dirty XD
So there is a concept I had in mind for a while, a collapsible cart that opens into a corner store.
Let me know what you think :)
Thanks!

Sketches

Closed, I will detail it more, this is just the lines I got from the 3D render, this is where the merchant sleeps at night, there will be a tent, a futon, and a ladder.

Replies

• Greg Westphal
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    This is such a cool idea and a very hard one as well.  I've done something similar for a client back in the day and my advice would be 2 fold.  First, think about the cart as a whole first.  How does it get pulled? What does its suspension look like? Are there special kinds of breaks?  Is there additional seating on the back?  I think if you were to do a bit more research and find some functions inherent in cart design (specifically with the Vardo) you'll be able to push read so much further.  

Second I would consider how it locks together a bit more carefully.  Think about Legos for this one.  Right now you have shear faces like the smooth sides of legos and no visible  locking mechanism on the front or top and as such when you would pull it the two sides would be constantly torquing out of form.  Because the functionality of this appears to be that of a vault or safe (keep the valuables locked inside) I would maybe thing of adding forms that suggest strength internally.  If you look up woodworking there is something called mortise and tenon type joints.  By suggesting some sort of interlocking between the two sides it'd also give a way to break the really smooth plane you have on each shop face and add some character. Last kind of thought on this matter is if you did some sort of suspension that too could create some sort of structural bed to provide support and some really cool functionality.  

Love to see people tackling such hard designs.  
  • EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @Greg Westphal :) thank you for this awesome, technical, feedback!
    Thanks for the "vardo", that's one reference I did not come across when looking at carts and carriage on google.
    As far as the lock, I did not render it :/ it's on the sketch but it slipped my mind...
    Anyway, I agree with all your points! thanks a lot for the technical terms that will allow me to research the right refs.
    Cheers!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    really interesting idea!
  • EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @lotet Glad you think so! thanks :)
  • EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    A tiny update:

• EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    One more... I feel like I'm hogging the 2D showcase frontpage :/
    Sorry all, you spoiled me with your good critiques :)

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    EVF said:
    I feel like I'm hogging the 2D showcase frontpage :/
    Sorry all, you spoiled me with your good critiques :)

well someone got to do it :)

also the 2D section needs way more love and trafic anyway, so keep up the good work!
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Agreeing with lotet :)
  • EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
  • KerryAislinn
    Offline / Send Message
    KerryAislinn polycounter lvl 3
    This is a really awesome concept. It is nice seeing all of the thought you have put into its function. 
  • EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3