Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017

Riot Creative Contest 2017 - QA

admin
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
cheeseplus admin
Hello! If you are participating in the Riot Creative Contest and have some questions in regards to the contest, please ask them here.

As a reminder, the important dates for this contest are:
  • Contest starts November 6th, 2017
  • The deadline for entries is January 31st, 2018 @ 23:59 PST (GMT -7)
  • Winners will be announced March 1st, 2018

Replies

• praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Not seeing character or environment for categories. Is this overlooked in description or is it being left out for some reason?
  • cheeseplus
    Offline / Send Message
    cheeseplus admin
    Character Art is back! It was not supposed to be missing in the first place but either way it's back :D
    praetus said:
    Not seeing character or environment for categories. Is this overlooked in description or is it being left out for some reason?

• praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Ignore me.  This was changed in the main thread and answered.
  • cheeseplus
    Offline / Send Message
    cheeseplus admin
    Environment Art is back on the list as well!
  • gurznoble
    Offline / Send Message
    gurznoble polycounter lvl 6
    Sad I missed the last one but happy to try out some arts this time around! I'm guessing there's no concept art category for skins right? I'll try to implement skin ideas in the Illustration category then!
  • Bao92
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    In terms of animations and posing. Is it possible that I create a character and I let a friend rig my character to pose it?
    If yes... then could an animator take that model and rig to create his/her animation?
  • Sotatsu
    Offline / Send Message
    Sotatsu polycounter lvl 4

I have an idea for a new champion. Can I use this for this competition?

No. This is a fan art competition.

I would like to know if this rule apply to the animation category too. 
    For the 2014 edition, animators were allowed to create new champions with their own set of moves. Is that different now? Do we have to create animations for existing champions in LoL?

• Captain_Marvelous
    Offline / Send Message
    Captain_Marvelous polycounter lvl 3
    Can you explain a bit more about what narrative entails? Is it writing a story? Telling one via comics/art? etc.?
  • ChrisIsOssim
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisIsOssim triangle
    How would the Sound Design category work? Would I take in-game footage and just redesign the sound for it? (Champ abilities/Monster camps/Turrets/etc.)
  • sidneyc323
    Offline / Send Message
    sidneyc323 RIOT Games
    We will provide assets for you to use to create your sound design.  All guidelines and assets will be ready for action when we go live on November 6th.  Thanks!
  • bopx
    Offline / Send Message
    bopx null
    Does a character art entry have to be 3D or does a 2D skin concept qualify?
  • JCG
    Offline / Send Message
    JCG null
    Hi good day! I have 2 questions.
    1st, I like to join the Illustration category, but does my entry have to be 2D? Or is it ok if my entry is 3D?
    2nd, I might join Character art too, but does my entry have to be in the same art style as the game has(freestyle, semi realistic)? Or can my entry have a realistic art style?
  • cheeseplus
    Offline / Send Message
    cheeseplus admin
    These are all good questions, most of which the guidelines will clarify and those will be posted closer to the starting date (don't want to give anyone too much of a head start) 
  • Blooregard
    Hello
    Does it matter if its Simulation VFX (for Film/Cinematic) or its required to be for video games (real time) only?

Thank you

Your VFX need to be presented in the game engine of your choice, i.e., realtime VFX only. -Nate
  • arusso1351
    Offline / Send Message
    arusso1351 polycounter lvl 4
    Hello,

My first polycount contest. Where's the sub forum for the WIP thread? The announcement mentioned there's be one by November 1st.
  • doomeddane
    Offline / Send Message
    doomeddane polycounter lvl 3
    What are the art restrictions? Ever since Tencent took over Riot I know there have been a lot of artistic changes to character and splash art. 
  • _adamturnbull
    Sotatsu said:

I have an idea for a new champion. Can I use this for this competition?

No. This is a fan art competition.

I would like to know if this rule apply to the animation category too. 
    For the 2014 edition, animators were allowed to create new champions with their own set of moves. Is that different now? Do we have to create animations for existing champions in LoL?

Hey man,

You're allowed to use any rig as long as it isn't copyrighted or ripped from another game so go wild! The animation will be judged on the animation quality and creativity and not on the model/rig that you use.

Good luck!
  • _adamturnbull
    Bao92 said:
    In terms of animations and posing. Is it possible that I create a character and I let a friend rig my character to pose it?
    If yes... then could an animator take that model and rig to create his/her animation?
    Hey @Bao92

For the animation category you can use any rig as long as you acquired it legally and it isn't ripped from another game so the animator could definitely enter using a model / rig you created for them, they will only be judged on the animation quality, not the model.

If you wanted to enter that same model into the character category it would need to be an already established League of Legends champion or skin for a champion. You would only get judged on the character art so rigging it wouldn't get you any extra points
  • Merricat
    Offline / Send Message
    Merricat polycounter lvl 3
    For VFX, can we do an animated login screen?

This contest will be for realtime VFX only, with entries presented in a realtime VFX engine. -Nate
  • maiaemille
    Offline / Send Message
    maiaemille polycounter lvl 3
    Hi! I would like to know if I can use one of the rigs from body mechanics by Joel Daniels https://gumroad.com/l/xhRK . I bought a pack, but I'm unsure if I can use them for this contest since in the license it says that it's for non-commercial use only. Does that include a contest like this?
  • _adamturnbull
    Hi! I would like to know if I can use one of the rigs from body mechanics by Joel Daniels https://gumroad.com/l/xhRK . I bought a pack, but I'm unsure if I can use them for this contest since in the license it says that it's for non-commercial use only. Does that include a contest like this?
    Hey @maiaemille

As far as I've been told you should be fine to use the BodyMech rigs as long as you state which rig you're using at the start of your WIP thread and don't use it for any commercial or profitable reasons :)

Adam
  • Seta_Triandi
    • A WIP (work-in-progress) thread must be made and maintained in the contest sub-forum for your discipline (link live on November 1st)
      How about that's point,i'm still not understand,because this my first I join contest on polycount?
  • vonboe
    Offline / Send Message
    vonboe polycounter lvl 12
    Once the contest starts all you have to do is create a new topic in this thread ( RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017 ) with the name of the character and/or category you have chosen, and just keep it updated with your progress. 
    Not sure if they will make sub threads for each categories - For now just wait for the official contest rules which will be posted later today.
  • cyanidin
    Offline / Send Message
    cyanidin vertex
    Will the technical guidelines for character art be posted as the contest starts?(texture sizes, target poly count range, and etc) or we aren't limited and these characteristics are just a nice plus to the finished model?
  • GravityBwlast
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    @cyanidin if I remember correctly, there were no such things as polycount range or texture sizes in the 2014 contest; part of the contest was also to see how you made decisions regarding polycount, edgeflow for animation, texture size/symmetry, ... Cause you won't of course have the same texture sizes and polycounts on Teemo and, let's say, Azir, or Ornn, for instance. But of course you are not supposed to make a 30k tris model with 4 x 4096 maps. :) 
  • Yaztory
    Offline / Send Message
    Yaztory null
    From watching the winners of the last contest, I'm guessing that the Character art category implies a game model that could fit in the game? A cinematic version of a champion that could fit into one of the trailers is not accepted? :)
  • StormyBA
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    This looks like a fun competition! 

I'd be intrested in getting involved in an ENV but I'm not having much luck finding any information about some of the workflow that is used to create the kind of art style you guys have in your games. 

where can i find some information to get me going? 
    Thanks
  • EraiViolett
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    I made concept art for two skins for Kalista and Illaoi previously on my own. (Here's the link in case you need to see it first: https://www.artstation.com/eraiviolett ) Can I make a splash art based on these concepts and use that splash for my entry? Similarly, I created a few sketches for Inktober that resulted in nice skin ideas for other champions, can I make illustrations based on those? I ask because I see the "The art work submitted to this contest must be originally made for this contest. No existing art work will be accepted" and I am not sure if I'd need brand new concepts instead
  • Thermal_Kitten
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermal_Kitten RIOT Games
    Can you explain a bit more about what narrative entails? Is it writing a story? Telling one via comics/art? etc.?
    Hi @Captain_Marvelous

The full details for the Narrative portion of the contest can be found here.

GLHF!

• CLASHatDEMONHEAD
    Offline / Send Message
    CLASHatDEMONHEAD polycounter lvl 5
    Hi @Captain_Marvelous

GLHF!

The link showing permissions problems and not allowing us to view.
  • cheeseplus
    Offline / Send Message
    cheeseplus admin
    This is because we haven't opened those forums to the public just yet! Moderators and Riot Staff can see them now so sorry for the confusion!

Hi @Captain_Marvelous

GLHF!

The link showing permissions problems and not allowing us to view.

• YBourykina
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    bopx said:
    Does a character art entry have to be 3D or does a 2D skin concept qualify?
    hey! @bopx

the Character Art category is 3D based, concepting can be a part of it but the final does need to be 3d.
    Illustration might work a bit better for you because it is all 2D!
  • YBourykina
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    cyanidin said:
    Will the technical guidelines for character art be posted as the contest starts?(texture sizes, target poly count range, and etc) or we aren't limited and these characteristics are just a nice plus to the finished model?

they will be posted once the contest goes live later today! :D
  • YBourykina
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    Yaztory said:
    From watching the winners of the last contest, I'm guessing that the Character art category implies a game model that could fit in the game? A cinematic version of a champion that could fit into one of the trailers is not accepted? :)

i cannot 100% answer this without giving away the rules, but the guidelines will go live later today and they should answer everything! :)
  • Captain_Marvelous
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, one more question:

I help moderate the official boards for RIot. While not technically contracted, partnered or paid (It's a volunteer position), I wanted to ask in advance if there'd be an issue with this in submitting my entry. 
  • cheeseplus
    Offline / Send Message
    cheeseplus admin
    THE SUB-FORUMS ARE NOW OPEN AND INCLUDE A STICKY WITH THE GUIDELINES FOR EACH DISCIPLINE 

• angelinawu
    Hi there! The guidelines don't mention this, so I wanted to ask: for the narrative writing, can we write stories set in the alternate universe of a champion's skin? Like the Star Guardians or Blood Moon skins, for example.
  • Blooregard
    Hello,
    Can we use Maya Fluid (simulation) or does it have to be real-time vfx?

Final presentation needs to be in-engine and should represent modern day video game VFX. That being said, if you use flipbooks or animated sprite sheets in your work the actual source of the bake doesn't matter. -Nate

Thank you!
  • Joopis
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopis polycounter lvl 2
    Hey, quick question. I have an old skin concept I did about 2 years ago. Am I allowed to use that as reference to make a new image?

• kiranraj
    Offline / Send Message
    kiranraj null
    For sound design I read we have to use our own sounds.
    If I use a sample to create textures or ambience, will it be consider as original?. Or still I have to record those sample by myself?
  • Yooleeoosh
    Hello,

I have a question regarding the VFX Guidelines. We have to make two effects on two spheres, but should the second part - the status effect - be a response to the first attack and explosion, or are they two seperate parts of submission, which just play one after another?

Thanks for this contest, can't wait to begin :)

Good question. The effect plays as one. Sphere "A" casts the effect, it travels and hits sphere "B", causing a status effect of your choosing on sphere "B". Let me know if that answers your question! -Nate
  • Archanex
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    Is the expectation that animators would create animations for an existing champion and NOT for a new champion of our own design?
  • _adamturnbull
    Archanex said:
    Is the expectation that animators would create animations for an existing champion and NOT for a new champion of our own design?
    Hey man, for the animation category you can base it on an existing champion or go for something original. Try to aim for a similar animation style and consider the league of legends style camera view when animating. You can see the full guidelines here - http://polycount.com/discussion/193131/animation-guidelines

Hope that helps!
  • Bodio
    Offline / Send Message
    Bodio polycounter lvl 3
    Hello,
    For environment can we use alpha? And if it's possible what kind of alpha ? Is it possible to have additive ? half transparency? 
    Thx =)
  • Trik
    Offline / Send Message
    Trik polycounter lvl 7
    For Character Art:

"A fully-textured character model of your favorite League of Legends champion/skin

Take any champion in LoL and create a high-poly sculpt (optional) and low-poly fully textured model"

Does this mean, for us to make a visual update of the champions? or recreate them as close as possible?
  • YBourykina
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    Alright, one more question:

I help moderate the official boards for RIot. While not technically contracted, partnered or paid (It's a volunteer position), I wanted to ask in advance if there'd be an issue with this in submitting my entry. 
     hey @Captain_Marvelous  
    we looked over things and you should be fine to enter since you are not officially employed! :)
  • YBourykina
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    Trik said:
    For Character Art:

"A fully-textured character model of your favorite League of Legends champion/skin

Take any champion in LoL and create a high-poly sculpt (optional) and low-poly fully textured model"

Does this mean, for us to make a visual update of the champions? or recreate them as close as possible?
    hey @Trik

it also says "You can recreate the base champion, an existing skin or create your own design"

so you can re-create base, a current skin, or something new that you designed! they don't have to be one to one, if you decide you want to do base Lux and keep the design, make her with our current 3d/texture standards or better! :)
  • Captain_Marvelous
    Offline / Send Message
     hey @Captain_Marvelous  
    we looked over things and you should be fine to enter since you are not officially employed! :)
    Thank you very much!
  • Shelest
    Offline / Send Message
    Shelest polycounter lvl 7
    Hello there!
    Can I radically change the proportions of the champion? 
    for example, to take a fat and short one and make him tall and skinny   

• Leo91
    Offline / Send Message
    Leo91 polycounter lvl 3
    Yaztory said:

i cannot 100% answer this without giving away the rules, but the guidelines will go live later today and they should answer everything! :)
    I am also interested in a Cinematic version of one of the characters, Would that be possible to do?