Home Technical Talk

Blender - Edge pinch alternative?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Deforges polycounter lvl 11
In 3ds max there is an option when adding an edge loop to control the spacing inbetween loops. This functionality does not seem to exist in Blender. After googling around it seems like a lot of people request it but the conversation doesn't go anywhere. In a lot of cases you can simply scale the edge loops after placing them, but if the geo is irregular then you're screwed. This is one thing still on my wish list after having a very positive experience with Blender so far.

Placing edge loop, cannot scale the spacing between the loops with disrupting the geo.

This is what I want. My current work around is to add more loops than I want so it spaces out correctly, commit, and then remove the extra edges but this seems pretty hacky. Is there anything that can help me?

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    There is "Offset Edge Slide" with a hotkey Ctrl+Shift+R. At least as I tested it now, you create one middle loop with the Ctrl+R, keep it selected, then press Ctrl+Shift+R and you'll get two new loops going away from the center loop, like that "pinching" you do in Max.

This is a somewhat new feature in Blender, so before that I either added as many loops to tighten the outer edge loops and deleted everything else in between like you did, OR I used incremental snapping to place supporting loops one by one, and they still were placed as if they were pinched, because of exact values. BUT, the new offset edge slide is your friend now. ;)

EDIT: When adding new loops in general, you can activate temporary incremental snapping (set by default) by holding Ctrl while sliding those newly added loops, or/and holding both Ctrl+Shift to have smaller increments. It's a bit more precise.

EDIT2: Once you've confirmed your loops, remember that you can still tweak your settings of your last action from the operator panel on the lower left corner of the Tool Shelf, or press F6 to bring it to the location of the mouse cursor on the viewport.
  • Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks @FourtyNights ! That is helpful. I also found you can select the edge ring in-between your new loops and scale by individuals. All of these options helped
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    No problem, and yeah, so many ways to achieve same results.