Home Career & Education

Giving the wake up call: Yes/No?

JoeToll
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
JoeToll null
So in this little group of friends, about 90% of them have graduated from a Games development course and are aspiring to work in the industry as Artists. We started weekly catch ups to help each other stay motivated and/or productive on their folios, which for 50% of the group, isn't helping.

I see such potential in these guys, but they are simply not putting in their 10 thousand hours. I want them so badly to succeed, my door is always open to them and I'm always offering to help.

Sadly, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Should I give these guys a wake up call, saying that they are not doing enough?
Is it any of my business?
Should I keep my mouth shut, despite how painful it can be?
What would you do in my position?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

(A bit of context: Most of these guys recently graduated from the same course, in the same class. I however graduated years before, I've already had my wake up call, and I'm working hard to make it overseas as a character artist).

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    If you want to say something out of genuine goodwill but are afraid to offend your friends you could politely ask after their portfolio and offer a critique.  If they're not interested I wouldn't push it, but that's just me.  They're adults, they shouldn't need someone holding their hand or prodding them every step of the way if it's something they really want.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

^ yeah spot on.

Plus goes both ways, ask them too critique your work? never know might instil some motivation in one...two or maybe all extracting the digit, by eyeballing what you're doing.

• JoeToll
    Offline / Send Message
    JoeToll null
    I do occasionally ask them for critiques, but I tend to get responses from the other 50%, the ones doing the work. 

You are right though, they are adults, and they're young and sure to figure it out sooner or later.
    Thing is, I've already learned that lesson and I know they're wasting time (god knows I was guilty of it).
    I just wish I could get it in their heads - they could be amazing artists!

• CrackRockSteady
    Another idea, maybe encourage the 50% not doing anything to collaborate on a small project.  They'll likely be able to produce something more impressive as a group, plus they'll be (at least sort of) accountable to each other.  They might feel more incentive to get work done and put forth some extra effort if they feel like other people are looking forward to their next thing.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

...'kay! just another thought, why not get together and do a collaborative effort, be it game, mod, cinematic animation...whatever? could quite possibly kickstart something with potential by going indie - who knows...?! 

EDIT:

Ha!...too slow typing @CrackRockSteady beat me to the 'punch' :)  

• JoeToll
    Offline / Send Message
    JoeToll null
    Yeah, collaboration might work. There is a couple in our group, a programmer and an artist. There was talk of them attempting to make a game together. Maybe I can suggest getting the whole group involved. Thanks!
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    I would personally let them have their breakdown first and tell later on tell them "why the hell they cannot find a job in the industry" this way you can be as truthfull as you want with your critique, and they will hear you. You can then tell them about their strengths and.weaknesses. Otherwise you are wasting your time and energy. In they end they do what they want in their life and not everyone is willing to try as hard as you do.

Not just in this subject but generally in life, people do not take advice for help if they dont think they need it and for your case, people might be gathering only because they enjoy each others company, not that they want to listen to critiques.