Home General Discussion

EA Shut's Down Visceral Games

R3D
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
R3D interpolator
https://www.ea.com/news/an-update-on-the-visceral-star-wars-project

Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe. In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.

This move leads to a few other changes:

A development team from across EA Worldwide Studios will take over development of this game, led by a team from EA Vancouver that has already been working on the project. Our Visceral studio will be ramping down and closingand we’re in the midst of shifting as many of the team as possible to other projects and teams at EA.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Ah man, this sucks. Sorry to all those affected.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    It's a shame that this title isn't going to be made, sounded interesting indeed.
    Being torn from a dream title seems completely out of  sorts for those interested in this sort of thing

This one seems to be a better ending  than though, most of the fellows are just being shifted instead of layed off right? That doesn't seem to happen that often.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I imagine it'd feel pretty bad putting so much effort into a game then getting switched off it part way through development.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    That star wars game is literally the only game I've been excited about in the last 3 years. I am so unhappy and disappointed right now it is unbelievable. I hope everyone manages to land on their feet - we have a ton of open positions at Rocksteady currently so get in touch if you're looking.
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    Never good news when a studio goes especially with the heritage of Visceral :/ Best of luck to all affected.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D said:
    https://www.ea.com/news/an-update-on-the-visceral-star-wars-project
    In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. 

Man they actually say that like its a bad thing. Does not bode well for single player focused games over the next wile :( Sounds like they want a Destiny like game in the star wars universe. 

Visceral was an awesome studio I really wish the best for all the staff. 
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Ah that really sucks, I was super stoked for an uncharted style star wars experience. And I have always been rooting for visceral since the original dead space, another of my fave franchises. Best of luck to anyone effected, hope you all get sweet severance packages and are nabbed up fast!
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    deja vu?

what a shame! my sincere apologies and thoughts to the people affected by this^..Its crazy to tihnk that a company a talentuous as Visc.Game, those beinhd the dead spaces series would go so soon...
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    My hatred for EA cannot grow any bigger...it is already infinite.
    May they get what they deserve.

Here is the proper Soundtrack for this thread:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

It may seem less than favourable outcome from an artistic standpoint, but at the end of the day these hard nosed business decisions are made time and again in the corporate world, plus it's not as if Visceral's staff are not without backup options employment wise going forward, their expertise after all will be farmed out across EAs group of companies. So that said, what would really suck if this closure had resulted in layoff's, which no one in their right mind want's too see.

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    valuemeal said:
    This one seems to be a better ending  than though, most of the fellows are just being shifted instead of layed off right? That doesn't seem to happen that often.
    Big companies like EA or Activision almost always make some effort to relocate people after closing a studio. We'll see how many people actually end up getting offers.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Their new direction hopefully is fun.

I really do just want a Star Wars adventure worthy of the quality KOTOR was able to reach.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    This sucks hard :( , Hope everybody land on their feet =/

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What is EA's studio kill counter up to these days? 
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    According to Wikipedia and with Visceral and Bioware (Montreal) it is 28.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Ryusaki said:
    According to Wikipedia and with Visceral and Bioware (Montreal) it is 28.
    Jesus Christ. Do studios have a choice in being acquired by them, or is it a public trading thing?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They have a choice, most people who start up studios, dream of being bought out some day. It's a big payday for most of the people who put their own money on the line to get things going. Often they burn through their own cash and still can't get the project out the door. So they take the buy out, get a nice check and the project gets finished, or shut down... Either way they get paid.

Sadly, being bought out is the beginning of the end for the majority of studios. Publishers don't see talent they see IP that can be placed anywhere that it is cheaper. 
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    What i don't get is their business model...they want to make money right?
    So in the case of Visceral's Dead Space 3,  they shoehorned Co-op player in the game, swamped the game with Micro-transactions and then where surprised it wasn't as successful as the other ones....
    Did these Idiots ever thought about the possibility that their meddling with the game is the reason why it didn't perform so well?
    Are they that dense and arrogant?

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It's different this time.

It's Star Wars.
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    So who bites the dust next?
    Respawn?
    Bioware?
    EA is like a sociopath serial killer who kills its victims, eats them up and shits them out.

Their new direction hopefully is fun.

I really do just want a Star Wars adventure worthy of the quality KOTOR was able to reach.
    Never gonna happen. Don't you see the pattern?
    How many Star Wars single player games have to be cancelled before it is obvious for everybody that the only thing they will ever do is Multiplayer games so they can nickel and dime the consumer with their shitty micro-transactions.

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Seems strange I'm "defending" EA but there's a whole wack of "grey area" regarding all of this.

This is EA Redwood Shores:
    Visceral Games merely occupied the top floor of the EARS building.

Last time I was there, 3rd floor was EA Sports (Tiger Woods)
    2nd was Maxis (Sims)
    1st was EA Play  

One particular project being developed at Visceral was set to be made with 12 people onsite. The rest was outsourced (insourced?).

When that project was cancelled all 12 of those staff members were absorbed by other teams/floors.

So Bioware Montreal I guess closed its doors, but I know a lot of guys over there, and I don't think there was a single layoff. Everyone was either xferred to Edmonton, or move to EA Motive (aka the other side of the office).

• Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    I  have no doubt that the talented people at Visceral get another job, be it with EA or without.
    But tons of gamers , me included wanted to play that single player SW adventure game written by Amy Hennig and not another boring Destiny clone.
    These kind of games are empty and soulless IMHO.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Ryusaki said:
    I  have no doubt that the talented people at Visceral get another job, be it with EA or without.
    But tons of gamers , me included wanted to play that single player SW adventure game written by Amy Hennig and not another boring Destiny clone.
    These kind of games are empty and soulless IMHO.

Money talks. If people didn't buy them, corporations wouldn't make them. Vote with your wallet.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sorry to hear the visceral games office has now been turned into ... dead space. :s

i've met a couple of guys from there a few years back when they were over in the UK, working on a tie-in for the DS series. do we know if anyone from polycount has been affected?

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    I know if one that has been a long time lurker here, but I'm not sure if he'd actually written anything. 
    He just joined Visceral a month or so back, was really happy about it. And is now looking for places. 
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Elithenia said:
    I know if one that has been a long time lurker here, but I'm not sure if he'd actually written anything. 
    He just joined Visceral a month or so back, was really happy about it. And is now looking for places. 
    They didn't transfer him, then?
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Grimwolf said:
    Elithenia said:
    They didn't transfer him, then?
    Not that I know of. He posted up on his network that he was looking for places... 
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouch that sucks, I hope he finds a good studio that sticks around.

That reminds me of when I got my first job in the industry. From the time I interviewed and accepted to the time I was going to start, the publisher swooped in and pulled the plug on two of the studios projects. I still ended up working there but it was crazy weird interviewing and seeing the entire place up and running, then going in to start and the place had been left almost as is but no one was around. People had to schedule times to come back and pick up their personal stuff, most didn't bother. It was a really weird way to lay people off. 
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was actually working as the lead texture artist on this project over the last couple years...it's sad to say the least. The closing definitely came as a shock but there were a lot of factors that led to it. 

It's particularly sad that we won't be able to show off any of the art we had done for the Star Wars project, I believe we were really pushing the bar. The concepts, characters, creatures, ships, droids, environments, animations and tech were all coming together really well. Our group of concept artists are total badasses and it's a shame the world won't get an art book out of them.

I remember how excited I was just to show this short clip, which was actually one of the first things we worked on for the project, before we had stuff "figured out" on the art side.

• Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    What a shame, it looks gorgeous and feels very atmospheric.
    I would really like to hear the factors that led to its cancellation. And with that i mean the truth not some marketing bollocks, and company double-speak.
    Until then I'll go with my gut instinct which tells me the EA overlords found no method of shoehorning microtransactions and lootboxes into the game, which equals to greed.

If EA thinks that following the "trend" is the right way to go i would like to remark that if you follow, you do not lead and make trends.
    Trying to make it right for anybody only leads to pissing off everybody.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I was actually working as the lead texture artist on this project over the last couple years...it's sad to say the least. The closing definitely came as a shock but there were a lot of factors that led to it. 

It's particularly sad that we won't be able to show off any of the art we had done for the Star Wars project, I believe we were really pushing the bar. The concepts, characters, creatures, ships, droids, environments, animations and tech were all coming together really well. Our group of concept artists are total badasses and it's a shame the world won't get an art book out of them.

I remember how excited I was just to show this short clip, which was actually one of the first things we worked on for the project, before we had stuff "figured out" on the art side.

From what I've been reading in articles, I think they'll be reusing most of the visceral art, so hopefully people will at least be able to show what they worked on. It's always sucks when you spend time on art that is never shown.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator

I was really excited when I saw this the first time, especially after 1313 has been cancelled.
    I'm sure people who worked on this will have no trouble to find a job outside of EA if necessary, still it must be a shitty feeling when a project is cancelled.

The project itself has been moved to a different studio, so let's see what they will do with it in the end.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Really sad to hear about Visceral closing, huge fan of their games. We are hiring a World Artist/Level Builder if anyone from the closing is looking. https://www.ghoststorygames.com/careers/

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter

Hey that looks pretty good Sean. Thanks for sharing. 
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ugh, when we had the big layoffs at EA Mythic they said we'd have opportunities at Bioware & EA Montreal but afterwords it just felt like we were thrown into the general job application bucket. Hope things work out better for you guys.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Ugh, when we had the big layoffs at EA Mythic they said we'd have opportunities at Bioware & EA Montreal but afterwords it just felt like we were thrown into the general job application bucket. Hope things work out better for you guys.
    fuckin' brutal man.

WAR was awesome, still my fondest gaming memories. I even play on the emulated server that's out there from time to time still :D
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

EA Is Buying Titanfall Developer Respawn For Over $400 Million:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/11/ea-is-buyingtitanfalldeveloper-respawn-for-over-400-million/

Mega-publisher EA has purchased a new studio -- Respawn, the developer of Titanfall. The news comes just weeks after the publisher shuttered Visceral Games.

EA said in a press release that the deal is worth $US455 ($592) million, a number that includes cash, equity, and performance milestone payments.

Respawn staff have spent the past few weeks exchanging whispers about a potential sale, two sources said, although there was no concrete news until the studio informed employees about the deal in a meeting today.

Earlier this week, one source with access to some of Respawn's forthcoming plans sent us what they said was a version of the acquisition contract, which reveals that EA is paying over $US400 ($521) million for the Los Angeles-based studio.

According to various documents sent by that source, EA outbid the South Korean publisher Nexon, which publishes the Titanfall mobile game and had also made an offer to buy Respawn. EA had 30 days to match that offer, which they chose to do.

Respawn will also receive bonuses tied to Metacritic scores for both its upcoming Star Wars game and the unannounced Titanfall 3, according to that documentation.

Founded in 2010 by Call of Duty designers Jason Ward and Vince Zampella, Respawn won hearts with its first game, Titanfall, released in 2014 as an Xbox exclusive.

The second entry in the futuristic first-person shooter series, Titanfall 2, came out last fall for multiple platforms but didn't quite make sales waves, perhaps because EA released it smack in the middle of Call of Duty and the publisher's other big shooter, Battlefield.

Early last year, EA announced that it had contracted Respawn to make a Star Wars action game, in addition to the Battlefront series and what was then planned as a Star Wars action-adventure from Visceral, which has since been cancelled.

Respawn, based in Los Angeles, has been independent until now.

Hmm...in my opinion the acquisition price seems a tad on the light side considering the studio's expertise was largely drawn from the original CoD devs - Infinity Ward. Anyway bears keeping a close eye on this new development given recent events. 

• pmache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmache polycounter lvl 3
    Really... I don't know. EA's the worst company, they seek good IP and buy them, then ruin them. Why passionate developers keep accepting their offers?

I know that if these new IP bough by EA will have at least one small failure (probably caused by EA themselves - like usual), then it's over for them. 
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmache said:
    Really... I don't know. EA's the worst company, they seek good IP and buy them, then ruin them. Why passionate developers keep accepting their offers?
    EA's a business like any other business.  If a project or studio is losing money, they shut it down.  It's what any publicly traded company does to increase their share value. 
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The worst? Remember all those times Crytek didn't pay their employees? I'd work for EA again, pay and benefits were good.
  • pmache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmache polycounter lvl 3
    RyanB said:
    EA's a business like any other business.  If a project or studio is losing money, they shut it down.  It's what any publicly traded company does to increase their share value. 
    But if EA themselves force that failure with stupid decisions? Or just like Pandemic - eliminate rivals.

I have never worked in game industry, so I don't know. I'm wrong probably. But how it feels being bought by EA just to being shut down?

Workers being given crazy hours and no overtime pay, bonuses being withheld, and studios being shut down even after successful products are shipped. The entire industry seems highly Unethical. If ONLY there existed a group whose main focus was Ethics within the Games Industry that might step up and champion the plight of these people...

And I know that this is not only EA, but they are primal example of these tactics to eliminate rival products.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    pmache said:
    ... Why passionate developers keep accepting their offers?
    Because of the money of course, I cannot blame anyone doing that.
    Of course for the passionate developer it will be not so easy to separate/handover there "baby".
    Think of it on a long term, if they can sell their business for a good amount of money, it enables them to create new things in the future much easier.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    @pmache it is pretty naive to think that Big Business is going to be looking out for the little guy. In any industry. Ever.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    RyanB said:
    pmache said:
    makes you wonder if they tried to save it, because shareholder value maximization is a dumb idea (Jack Welch's quote, not mine). Then again, an exec paid in stock will try to increase the stock value. The problem is drawing the line between personal short term goals (i.e. you get richer and then bail out with your golden parachute) vs. the long term health of the company and its people.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I would say 99% of people going all in and taking a huge risk to start their own company eventually want to sell it for a huge payday at some point. having a big exit during your life means you have freedom to do whatever you want, fund a new studio, travel, etc etc. 

It blows my mind when people bash studios for getting acquired, it shows they have zero awareness of how business works.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    on the other hand there are companies with what looks to be a solid track record from the outside in acquiring and utilizing studios. and then there are those who's horizon seems limited to fiscal quarters and who appear to react in a panicky manner to whatever is the latest trend.

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    pmache said:

I have never worked in game industry, so I don't know. 

Maybe educate yourself before talking bollocks then?
    Just a thought.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    seth. said:
    pmache said:

I have never worked in game industry, so I don't know. 

Maybe educate yourself before talking bollocks then?
    Just a thought.
    It's not entire bollocks though. One of the other guys on my MA course wrote an essay for our creative economies module about exactly this:

Large publishers have a tendency to purchase studios with successful IP's, milk those IP's, and then close the studio when the IP is dry. They are all about short term profit, plain and simple. How can we make the next quarter look better than the last. They legitimately don't care about 2, 3, or 5 years time.

The only difference here, is that Visceral was already an EA studio (Redwood Shores, i believe?).

As already pointed out, EA are a business, they want to make money. Star Wars games outside of the ability to play as a Jedi are always seen as a risk, unfortunately. And Visceral at this point were just burning cash on developing something that may not have recouped those losses. Personally, i love Visceral's games. But EA made it no secret that just about all of their titles after Dead Space hadn't met expectations in terms of sales.

Don't get me wrong here, the entire thing is just a massive dick move. EA keep doing this and people keep being surprised when it happens. But those are the facts.
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6

.... Large publishers have a tendency to purchase studios with successful IP's, milk those IP's, and then close the studio when the IP is dry. They are all about short term profit, plain and simple. How can we make the next quarter look better than the last. They legitimately don't care about 2, 3, or 5 years time...
    And this happens in every industry. When Starbucks buys out a local Mom and Pops coffee joint, do people really think it's because they wanted to integrate their frappuccino recipe on the menu?

on the other hand there are companies with what looks to be a solid track record from the outside in acquiring and utilizing studios. and then there are those who's horizon seems limited to fiscal quarters and who appear to react in a panicky manner to whatever is the latest trend.

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I don't see how that does anything more than compliment what i was trying to say? So thanks :)