Home Adobe Substance

(Workaround) Tips for exporting multiple textures?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
Hi,

Say I want to create multiple texture (skins) for the same model. But due to the way SP generated filenames, it seems like the solution would be to export the same model multiple times, with different material id, which will then be used as texture set name?

SP export preset only take a few variables (mesh name, texture set name). Imagine a game like The Sims, you might need to export a dozen of textures for one model, is there a better workflow?

(OK, besides using automation tool...)

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You could have duplicates of the export preset just with a unique suffix for each version; that seems easier than renaming the mesh. Or just export to different folders, but that gets messy fast. If you were going to be doing that a LOT you'd want some automation; like an export script to toggle the appropriate layers, export with preset 1, repeat with preset 2 etc
  • bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Bek said:
    You could have duplicates of the export preset just with a unique suffix for each version; that seems easier than renaming the mesh. Or just export to different folders, but that gets messy fast. If you were going to be doing that a LOT you'd want some automation; like an export script to toggle the appropriate layers, export with preset 1, repeat with preset 2 etc
    Thx, yeah that's my second thought; only drawback: picking the wrong preset when I am not careful...

Interesting thing is, Unity also figure out material name from my model, so if I only export one model, then I have only one material created automatically. Sure, I can create more myself, a weird problem to have I guess.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    You can rename the material inside SP. No need to have multiple model exports of the same thing.
  • bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    You can rename the material inside SP. No need to have multiple model exports of the same thing.
    Thx, that's a good trick I haven't thought of!