Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hum3D Car Render Challenge 2017 submission

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
sxc4161 polycounter lvl 2

Hey polygons!

I'm opening this thread to get some critique on a project I'm going to submit to the Hum3D Car Render Challenge. I'll be posting my workflow from concept to final renders here. All critique is welcome!

The rules for the contest can be found here: https://hum3d.com/car-challenge-2017/#rules

The idea I'm going for is to create a shot with two vintage race cars competing against each other while both on the very limit of speed and control. 

I've turned to some classic F1 photos for inspiration

Thinking about which would be more dramatic to create, power sliding/drifting or jumping?

Let me know what y'all think!

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Neat shot ideas, definitely feel powersliding/drifting is a more dramatic/tense scenario!
  • sxc4161
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d said:
    Neat shot ideas, definitely feel powersliding/drifting is a more dramatic/tense scenario!

Much appreciated! 
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Either way if you get something off kilter its going to be dramatic.  Drifting obviously makes the car quite kinetic in its stance, but also the helmet of the driver off to the side is killer too.  With jumping if the car is slightly listing to the right or left in the air, and the wheels are hanging much lower than you normally see them... well, that can be dramatic too. If you could pose the car in the air in such a way that it feels very tenuous that its going to land smoothly, I think that would be your most dramatic shot... Anyways, these refs are great!
  • sxc4161
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 said:
    Either way if you get something off kilter its going to be dramatic.  Drifting obviously makes the car quite kinetic in its stance, but also the helmet of the driver off to the side is killer too.  With jumping if the car is slightly listing to the right or left in the air, and the wheels are hanging much lower than you normally see them... well, that can be dramatic too. If you could pose the car in the air in such a way that it feels very tenuous that its going to land smoothly, I think that would be your most dramatic shot... Anyways, these refs are great!
    I agree. I feel like I'm leaning more towards the jump especially since it's something I haven't seen alot in racing renders, (whereas I've seen tons of drifting shots). I figure once I finish the hero car I can mock up a rudimentary section of track and compose some test shots to feel out both options.
  • sxc4161
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Week 1

At the end of the first week I've finalized my concept. I'm going to make one hero car replica of the 1976 Ferrari 312 t2 formula car and give it two different texture sets to represent Nikki Lauda and his teamate at the time Clay Reggazoni.

As for the composition, I'm still torn as to whether I want to have the vehicles jumping or sliding. As such I think I'm going to go ahead with creating the assets and then doing some test shots once they're more-or-less finalized.

I also began modeling the 312. Here's a week1 WIP:

Here's a reference of the car IRL

Any feedback is appreciated! See y'all soon!
    -SteveC
  • jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    Nice blockout work from what I can see.  I don't have any critiques at the moment, so I'll wait until this is a bit further along.

I've considered working on a submission, but I have enough problems just trying to finish the hard surface props category in Polycount's Environment Art Challenge!

Good luck in your submission!
  • sxc4161
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice blockout work from what I can see.  I don't have any critiques at the moment, so I'll wait until this is a bit further along.

I've considered working on a submission, but I have enough problems just trying to finish the hard surface props category in Polycount's Environment Art Challenge!

Good luck in your submission!
    Thanks man! I appreciate it

• sxc4161
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Week 2

What up!

So week two has come and gone and I've taken to finalizing the body of the car and adding some of the detail components, (i.e. geabox, wing supports, cockpit details). My WIP shots are below

Overall pretty positive about the way the body is coming along. Dear god was it a hard shape to get right....

as y'all can see....I love iterations...

very excited to get working on the gearbox of this vehicle. Very intricate design for something from 1976.

Have at it and let me know what y'all think! 
    -SteveC

• sxc4161
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Week 3 (late post)

Good morning Polygons!

So at the end of week 3 I think I can say the modeling for the Ferrari is done. There surely can be more done to it, but for the sake of time I have to move on. I brought the model into Keyshot to do some test renders with a few stock materials. Check it out.

With that I could use a little feedback. For the shots I'm composing I will need to have the drivers partially visible. Given the due date of November 29th, I'm tempted to forego modeling partial busts of the drivers and try to find a photograph and attempt to add the driver in in post. I could really use some feedback in that department. 

Let me know!
  • sxc4161
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Week 4

Decided to focus my efforts this week on Modeling the environment for the final composition and do some test shots. I brought the whole scene with a blockout of the car into Keyshot and test a few different angles. WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME FEEDBACK HERE!

I feel like I could use some help with the composition so please feel free to check out the preliminary renders below.

let me know what y'all think!!!

-SteveC
  • josecarlos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josecarlos null
    I like the first shot
  • sxc4161
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Week 5

Hey there Polygons! 2 WEEKS LEFT! Time to start rendering. I finalized the textures for the track and car this week. I put a few beauty shots of the Ferrari below. Feel free to drop your critiques.

After finishing the track texture I brought the car in and started shooting off some 50% renders. Here's the latest one.

this render is a-lot sharper than what I want the finished product to be, but this will likely be close to the final composition. 

Thoughts? Critiques? Start Over? 

Let me know!
    -SteveC