Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Battle Axe [FEEDBACK REQUESTED]

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
aclund3 polycounter lvl 6

Hi everyone!

I've finally (mostly) finished off an old project, and its time to get some outside feedback cause I'm at that point where I've lost the ability to be critical.  Anyways, I've created a bit of a medieval battle axe here, so let me know what you think!  Good or bad, all feedback is welcome :)

I have a ton of images, but rather than inundate you all with them, I'll just add one more for fun...

...And then here's a link to the sketchfab model for your viewing entertainment :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modeling done in 3ds Max, bit of sculpting in Zbrush, and baking + texturing in Substance Painter.

Replies

• aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump. Hoping more people can see and maybe present some feedback.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Heya! I hope you don't mind, but I've done a quick paintover on some areas I feel you could address to improve your texturing (and small modeling) of this Axe. I don't know what style you're shooting for or how it'd be used in the context of a game.

Right now it feels "dirty" but also fairly unscathed, as if its sat around and never been used. I also feel like some contrast could be improved in some areas to draw interest.

It already looks pretty good though, so more than anything, keep it up!

• aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ScoobyDoofus Thank you!  I don't mind at all :) I actually really appreciate that you did a paintover, as it helps me to know exactly what you're thinking.  I've just been staring at it for awhile to see every little thing you did :)

Getting some kind of big wear into the mesh wasn't something I went after, but I can see the advantage of doing that now.  And the large grey section on the non-cutting edge of the blade is a great move, and super obvious now that I see it.  I think a bit more destructive work in zbrush and some more contrast in the materials like you mentioned will really help!

Thank you again, this is awesome feedback!