Home Career & Education

Modeling Weapon Interiors - Any value to folio?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
I was wondering if you model weapons with all interiors would it give any value to your portfolio to those people who do evaluation in a game company? I fully understand it makes no sense to do it for game art but I think it is a nice detail and you can do a nice presentation with it.

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I imagine there are other industries that would consider such art valuable.

Like actual gun companies or gun designers. I've seen marketing from both that involve 3D models of guns being taking apart and reassembled to show how they fully work.

Although I would still do it as an act of tech prowess. If someone asked you if you could model the inside of any object and required proof, you would have something that aligns with your credentials.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It adds an intangible value.

What it may say is that you're cognizent of weapon internal designs.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Haha, yeah I did one for my 1911 a while back, just as a study of a gun mechanic. It certainly won't go through an FPS or TPS game as it never gonna show ever (unless they have some special UI function etc), but I will continue on doing such thing for my personal pieces as I find it interesting to learn more about guns.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Wouldn't hurt I should think?! if your folio is skewed towards a presentation of mechanical hardsurface modelling finesse and an eye for detail.
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for input!
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I would say time vs value, if you feel that the interior is taking you more time then the exterior then maybe you would gain more by just making two weapons instead of one, or just create the parts that would show during a reload/shooting animation instead of the whole thing.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    It's very valuable to your portfolio because it impresses the people who control access to work

Forget the platitudes, portfolio has little or nothing to do with "practical" skills... if you can impress the right people visually then you get the job, if you can't then you're just another resume, that's the hard truth

Art directors are usually many years removed from any kind of production art, if they ever even did it at all... complexity and presentation tends to impress them, but the "applicability," the technical efficiency, is something most of them wouldn't even know how to judge, let alone care about. In fact right now I'd say the popular fad is more about "concept design," offline keyshot renders, aesthetic flourish - not practical game art fundamentals