Home Career & Education

What does it take to be an Intern/graduate at Blizzard?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
maiu vertex
Hey everyone,
I was wondering, at what level must i be to be accepted as an intern at a company like Blizzard?
It can be any other big company though, like Riot, Disney, Pixar etc. All these companies that have student and graduate programs as well as internships interest me and i know it's also luck, but i want to have this 'goal' and think "ok, this is where i need to aim and this is how much i need to improve to make them at least find me eligible and good as an artist"  but i'm really unsure.

I know they want you to be really good, but do you have to be kick ass like someone who has been years in the industry? or do they look at potential? etc.

I'd appreciate any response or idea so i can set a goal for myself.

Replies

• pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Well just look at the best people at Blizzard, or wherever. (people you look up to) and try to be as good/better than them. Thats what I would do in your shoes. 
  • NikhilR
  • maiu
    Offline / Send Message
    maiu vertex
    Thanks @pmiller001 and @NikhilR :) 
    I already read that FAQ actually, but i'm still wondering how high are the expectations from those who are still students or recent graduates in terms of skill.
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Thing is ideally since it is an intern position, as long as you know the tools any intern is expected to be a suitable potential employee by the end of the internship.
    Problem is the competitiveness means that you will have a variety of skill levels applying, some of whom will be close to their current hires simply looking at the internship as a foot in the door.
    So in that case I would say try to achieve something close to what they already have in their games.
    Also depends on what you're applying for. It would be a good idea to find tutorials from current artists who work at Blizzard, there are many out on the web.
    You could also contact them and ask them to review your work.
    Mind you this is provided you have a fair idea of the basics through your program and self study.
    Also helps to win a competition, perhaps make the front page a few places?
    If you post your portfolio/work, we could give you a better idea of where you stand and what you could improve on.

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Usually the most popular companies and companies that have very high art quality standards such as blizzard end up taking in interns with skills very close to actual employees, usually they can keep similar art quality but might not have all the technical skill. So I think you should look at blizzard artists portfolios and see if you are at a similar level or close rather then far, even interns are a cost which will need to produce so they need to keep a high standard, might be different for blizzard specifically but I don't think so.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Which internship did you want to apply for?

I was an intern on D3 with the Platform Services department.
  • maiu
    Offline / Send Message
    maiu vertex
    @Jonas Ronnegard @NikhilR
    Thank you that gave me a better understanding, i'll try doing that.
    I always see these artists who work in the industry on Twitter or LinkedIn etc so i don't know how to ask to get my art reviewed but maybe i'll try different forums.

@Brian "Panda" Choi I want to apply for a 3D Artist or 2D Artist internship or student program in the future.

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    maiu said:
    @Jonas Ronnegard @NikhilR
    Thank you that gave me a better understanding, i'll try doing that.
    I always see these artists who work in the industry on Twitter or LinkedIn etc so i don't know how to ask to get my art reviewed but maybe i'll try different forums.
    No need to go to twitter or linkedin, most of us here on polycount is in the industry one way or another, multiple blizzard artists here as well.
    So this is probably the best place to ask for help/feedback.
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Based on your artstation site I see that you are from Israel. Did you look up whats necessary to get a visum in the USA? Not sure if Israel and USA have some bilateral contract or if there is some special ruleset for interns, but I would assume for most foreigners this would pretty much rule it out - or am I missing something?
  • maiu
    Offline / Send Message
    maiu vertex
    Biomag said:
    Based on your artstation site I see that you are from Israel. Did you look up whats necessary to get a visum in the USA? Not sure if Israel and USA have some bilateral contract or if there is some special ruleset for interns, but I would assume for most foreigners this would pretty much rule it out - or am I missing something?
    As far as i know it's necessary to have a temporary working visa, and if i were to be accepted it's fine.
    If it's a student program i think it's an easier process and i know students who participated in a program in the US. I always check if said company is accepting international applicants as well.
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    maiu said:
    Biomag said:
    As far as i know it's necessary to have a temporary working visa, and if i were to be accepted it's fine.
    If it's a student program i think it's an easier process and i know students who participated in a program in the US. I always check if said company is accepting international applicants as well.
    Ah, that's cool :) Then I wish you good luck with it :)
  • maiu
    Offline / Send Message
    maiu vertex
    Biomag said:
    Ah, that's cool :) Then I wish you good luck with it :)
    Thank you :smile: 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    The University Relations department really REALLY cares about the cover letter.  Do not just let that slip.

Portfolio I am mum on.  In general, you have to beat the other applicants and meet the needs of the team you're applying for.
  • maiu
    Offline / Send Message
    maiu vertex
    The University Relations department really REALLY cares about the cover letter.  Do not just let that slip.

Portfolio I am mum on.  In general, you have to beat the other applicants and meet the needs of the team you're applying for.
    Thanks for letting me know about the cover letter.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd attempt to reach out to the actual developers, see what they would expect from an intern.  Each team has their own concerns, and the day to day will different.