Home Career & Education

New member introduction

grand marshal polycounter
Online / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
I've been playing video games since the beginning of time. A few months ago, I finally got tired of that. I decided that I wanted to make my own game, which as you might expect is destined to be the greatest artistic achievement ever created by man -- just wait and see.

Yeah, whatever. Anyway, I only have the most rudimentary computer skills, coupled with the patience of a gnat. I spent my formative adult years lugging around heavy stuff for Uncle Sam -- yes, I was a true bone-head army grunt, God only knows what I was thinking -- so my only great skills are a synergistic combination of idiotic persistence, legendary impatience, and a high tolerance for self inflicted torture.

Basically, every spare minute that absolutely must not be spent in front of my computer working through tutorials and learning about all aspects of 3d art is spent, well, doing just that. I got a monitor with low eye strain function and special glasses that cut down on blue light, but sometimes at the end of the day my eyes feel like I've been lifting weights with them. There's just too much to learn, and I want to create AAA quality assets tomorrow!

Please tell me all of the greatest artist start out like this?

Anyway, I'm making good head way with Maya and Mudbox. I use these programs because they are free while going to college. It seems like the real professionals use Zbrush, if I'm not mistaken, but right now I think I ought to just get the core art skills and general technical knowledge down before I drop $800 more. I convinced the First National Bank of My Wife to grant me a loan to build a proper computer, so I don't need any more debt atm.

TL:DR, I enjoy seeing the fine works you people put up here and look forward to engaging with some shared-interest peoples. I'll start a sketchbook soon -- if any good Samaritans are keen to provide some really dumbed down Barney-style tips/advice, rest assured it will save some walls in this house from the front side of my head.

Thanks.

Replies