Home Technical Talk

Maya Newb Lag/Display Issue

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
ozaffer polycounter lvl 13
Hello I'm fairly new to maya so apologize if this is a dumb question but I couldn't find an answer through google.
I was retypologizing a character with poly draw but my symmetry was off in some area's so I deleted one half mirrored/wielded the other half. This worked but my pivotpoint was off so I went to center it only to have the crazy issue displayed below. Fearing the wield didn't work I went to check to find the points were connected,  but there seems to be a modification hierarchy or something?

Also getting lag because my older PC but whats not helping is while looking for a solution to the previous problem I somehow displayed all of my modifications as I have highlighted in the img below. 

If anyone has suggestions on how to fix these issues or cutting down on lag I could use the help.

Replies

• ozaffer
    Offline / Send Message
    I would still like to know more about these issues if anyone has answers but I exported the mesh as an obj and imported it back into a new scene effectively centering the pivot point and combining the hierarchy as a quick fix.
  • alkiloyd
    Offline / Send Message
    alkiloyd polycounter lvl 9
    Mmm... Maybe delete history, freeze transforms, then weld the two meshes together, then center pivot? And just for good measure, delete history again. I found out recently my meshes would do some crazy things when my history was full and also would big my computer down.
  • ozaffer
    Offline / Send Message
    alkiloyd said:
    Mmm... Maybe delete history, freeze transforms, then weld the two meshes together, then center pivot? And just for good measure, delete history again. I found out recently my meshes would do some crazy things when my history was full and also would big my computer down.
    Thank you for the reply, I didn't know about deleting history I'll have to look into that more.

The obj seemed to work fine but I'm having the same issue with a list of transformations stacking up in my outliner. Not sure why it's happening or how to stop it but it keeps giving me lag that builds and builds.

Is it normal to have all of this displayed in the outliner of a new scene? Don't remember all that being there the first time I checked. Also what are the things circled in red and how do I get them from being displayed. Turned everything off in "show" and "display" to have no changes at all.

• ozaffer
    Offline / Send Message
    just exported my working obj from the lagging scene and imported into that new scene again. This for some reason displayed 4 different groups (one at the top of the outliner with the polysurface, 3 with nothing at the bottom of the outliner) after deleting the ones which were apparently empty I noticed the pivot point is off on this mesh -.-. that hidden modfication hiarchy seems to be very touchy. Starting to miss max as maya's been kinda annoying. Seems I'm missing some key step, no maya users ever experienced these issues?

(deleting history made no difference in this instance. I'll attempt deleting the history on the one in the lagging scene before exporting and/or attempt altering the polysurface pivot point from the new scenes polysurface tonight.)
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Important things for max users to know about maya.. 

Maya doesn't clean up after itself. 
    Maya let's you make shit geometry. 
    History does not mean non-destructive, it just means it's dirty. 

If you want less crap in your outliner tell it to display only dag objects 

The reason it broke after you mirrored is that you didn't delete history and it thought all the verts were in the old positions. 
    Basically, unless you have a good reason, every time you do anything to a mesh you need to delete your history.

To illustrate, 
    Perform a few operations and open up hypergraph-connections on your mesh.   That massive spiderweb of shite is what maya sees your object as.  Delete your history and check it again,  the difference should be obvious. 

• Noth
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    It's a good idea to create a custom marking menu to access delete history fast and easily. I use 'S' to bring one I've made up and put some things I use often but not enough to warrant a hotkey. 

custom marking menu tut - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEaDOSPa8mo
  • ozaffer
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Important things for max users to know about maya.. 

Maya doesn't clean up after itself. 
    Maya let's you make shit geometry. 
    History does not mean non-destructive, it just means it's dirty. 

If you want less crap in your outliner tell it to display only dag objects 

The reason it broke after you mirrored is that you didn't delete history and it thought all the verts were in the old positions. 
    Basically, unless you have a good reason, every time you do anything to a mesh you need to delete your history.

To illustrate, 
    Perform a few operations and open up hypergraph-connections on your mesh.   That massive spiderweb of shite is what maya sees your object as.  Delete your history and check it again,  the difference should be obvious. 

I've started to notice that. Clearing the history as I go along helped with the lag too. Thank you very much for the reply. I found that I could mirror geometry by using topology mirror. As I've almost finished, I'm sure I'll find out soon enough but I'm wondering if this will this cause mirror or pivot point issues in zbrush.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Freeze transforms before you export and you'll probably be OK.