Home Career & Education

Am i good enough to apply for character artist positions

Ive been teaching myself Zbrush and Substance recently and want to apply for character artist positions but I dont know what kind of quality studios expect so i dont know if im any good in their eyes. Im a relatively fast learner but I dont know how much more i have to learn to be considered "worthy".

Can you guys give me some sort of idea of what kind of positions i should be applying for? Thanks! Below is an old project I used to learn Zbrush and a new one I recently started working on.

Older project:
Head  - https://i.imgur.com/4ATGkVw.png
Body - https://i.imgur.com/ahmEX6t.png

New Project: 
Head - https://i.imgur.com/CydUQAL.png
Body (Placeholder hands) - https://i.imgur.com/ZdsFcAL.png

Any feedback will be super helpful thanks!

Replies

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Do you have a portfolio?  What I see in your screenshots is very unfinished.  As for just sculpt quality, i would say you still have a long way to go.  I would also refine your anatomy.  Proportions look alright so far. 

• Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    None of that work is anywhere near finished. Quality aside, you need to at least have a number of finished projects in your portfolio.
    The artistic quality standards vary wildly between studios. Showing that you have the technical skills to actually complete a project is more important, especially if your only goal is to get a job at any studio. Beyond that, the artistic quality of your work should at least match that put out by the studio you apply to.
    Speaking frankly, some studios put out work that looks like the Crayon sketch of a six-year-old brought into 3D.
    Others put out masterpieces that most people could never hope to match.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Ive been teaching myself Zbrush and Substance recently and want to apply for character artist positions but I dont know what kind of quality studios expect so i dont know if im any good in their eyes. Im a relatively fast learner but I dont know how much more i have to learn to be considered "worthy".

Also checkout the Wiki for further relevant info:

Portfolio (How to create an artist portfolio for a career in game development)
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    All I can say, with a portfolio like mine you would have a very very hard time finding a job.

As slosh and Grimwolf say, its still a long way ahead of you. Keep in mind, whoever is looking at your application is trying to find reasons to reject it to reduce the number of candidates to be able to focus on those that would fit his/her needs. Especially with character art there are so many applicants that the companies have no need to take 'projects-candidates' that might turn out to be good enough if the company invests time, since there are so many that are already on the minimum level.

Once you get your first characters completely finished (not just the sculpt), and you have a solid knowledge of Marvelous Designer, Substance Painter, ZBrush and a modelling package there might be a chance that you have been doing this long enough for your artistic skills to actually be good. But if your technical skills aren't there and you can't show some high level art skills, chances are you won't be considered at all.
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Biomag said:
    All I can say, with a portfolio like mine you would have a very very hard time finding a job.

As slosh and Grimwolf say, its still a long way ahead of you. Keep in mind, whoever is looking at your application is trying to find reasons to reject it to reduce the number of candidates to be able to focus on those that would fit his/her needs. Especially with character art there are so many applicants that the companies have no need to take 'projects-candidates' that might turn out to be good enough if the company invests time, since there are so many that are already on the minimum level.

Once you get your first characters completely finished (not just the sculpt), and you have a solid knowledge of Marvelous Designer, Substance Painter, ZBrush and a modelling package there might be a chance that you have been doing this long enough for your artistic skills to actually be good. But if your technical skills aren't there and you can't show some high level art skills, chances are you won't be considered at all.
    Just out of curiosity, why would it be difficult for someone with your portfolio to find a job? Your portfolio seems pretty good for applications seeing as it has what you said you'd need to apply.
    Unless you're talking specifics, i.e you probably would need a few stylized pieces in your portfolio if you were to apply to a studio focused on stylized art.
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Personal experience from my last year of looking for a job. Though 2 points that might help clarifying:
    1. I was building the portfolio through the year, so its not like all rejections are based to the current state.
    2. I was only appyling to AAA companies in Europe, with realistic styles, since I recently moved with my GF to Finland for her job and based on family situation I couldn't afford to move to another city/country just for a temporary job.

Nevertheless based on feedback from several veterans who were kind enough to point out issues - anatomy needs improvement (as well as presentation and silhouettes). Some said it would be enough for a junior position, but they were looking for more experienced artists. I have not seen a single junior character artist position on the boards lasts year.

I hope this clarifies it :)
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Biomag said:
    Personal experience from my last year of looking for a job. Though 2 points that might help clarifying:
    1. I was building the portfolio through the year, so its not like all rejections are based to the current state.
    2. I was only appyling to AAA companies in Europe, with realistic styles, since I recently moved with my GF to Finland for her job and based on family situation I couldn't afford to move to another city/country just for a temporary job.

Nevertheless based on feedback from several veterans who were kind enough to point out issues - anatomy needs improvement (as well as presentation and silhouettes). Some said it would be enough for a junior position, but they were looking for more experienced artists. I have not seen a single junior character artist position on the boards lasts year.

I hope this clarifies it :)
    Ah I see. Game development work postings in Finland seems to be more senior oriented, similar to Canada I think.
    I've always wondered how industry experience and quality of work in portfolio factor together in considering seniority. Particularly for character artists since junior positions aren't easily available.
    But all in good time I think!
    I like the way you do cloth for your models, and very cool Batou!
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Yeah, FInnland's game industry for example has money, therefore they 'buy' talent. So even with all the upcoming startups they don't lack the means to get experienced employees.

Keep in mind - except for the artists most people will rather believe the CV than the portfolio or at the very least have a hard time judging skill level.

@NikhilR Thanks! :)
  • NotSoBlueManGroup
    slosh said:
    Do you have a portfolio?  What I see in your screenshots is very unfinished.  As for just sculpt quality, i would say you still have a long way to go.  I would also refine your anatomy.  Proportions look alright so far. 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2VAoA thats my artstation where the old character is finished
  • NotSoBlueManGroup
    Biomag said:

Have you tried applying in different countries? If its like you say about Finland buying talent you could try going somewhere else :/