Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review - Environment Art

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Ali_Youssef polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, I've been thinking a lot lately about doing a restart on my portfolio.

https://www.artstation.com/ali_y

I've looked at it so much that I've started hating it, and I feel like I can do much better.  :/
I have ~2 years before I graduate and I want to improve the best I can in the meantime.

I'd love some critique for areas I should concentrate to improve on, and let me know if you think I should go ahead with the redo or if I should replace each piece as I create a new environment.

Thank you !

Replies

• Anngelica
    Offline / Send Message
    Anngelica polycounter lvl 10

I definitely wouldn't do a restart if I were you. Your ice material is on point and I really like the foggy forest! Personally, I think the underpass is your weakest - the scale and textures just seem a little off to me. I totally share your love of fog but I think it would be cool to see something from you with a little more restraint in that area, just to break it up. Overall, I think your portfolio looks pretty good! 
  • Ali_Youssef
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually noticed my fog obsession, and I wanted to lay off the fog for the next environment. :sweat_smile:
    So I guess I'll replace the underpass with whatever's next.

Thank you so much for the nice comment !
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    What is it that you are studying? is it 3d? On what school? Because this seems better than all the student's portfolios i've seen and tbh, better than may veteran's portfolios as well
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    While your scenes have a nice atmosphere you are not really showing any strong individual assets. The ice shader is a step in the right direction I think.
  • Ali_Youssef
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:
    What is it that you are studying? is it 3d? On what school? Because this seems better than all the student's portfolios i've seen and tbh, better than may veteran's portfolios as well
    I'm studying Computer Science. Unfortunately there aren't any 3D bachelor courses in Ukraine, so I had to learn everything on my own.
    Your comment was a huge boost to my self-esteem, though. Thank you ! :smiley:

Cay said:
    While your scenes have a nice atmosphere you are not really showing any strong individual assets. The ice shader is a step in the right direction I think.
    Do you think I should showcase prominent assets from environments, or focus on creating assets as the entire project, like the shader ? 
    Because I've been planning to do the former. (or maybe both)

Appreciate the help, guys, cheers !