Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Vampire Girl

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jakub interpolator
Hello everyone!

Started a new project today, based on the concept by Dongho Kang. 

I will be droping updates, any c&c are welcome!

Replies

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Hey there Jakub ,
    I have few suggestions for you :
    - breast : Try moving them a bit higher this way you will have more abdomen also over all shape and connection need adjustment 
    -shoulder : you can make them narrower and rounder so she look more feminine 
    - extremities gesture  : add more curve to your arm and legs, its a female ! also carrying angle of the arm for female is around 5-15 degree

Best.

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Thanks @carvuliero

I worked on it more today, tried to push the silhouette to match the concept more. Left my comfort zone with that, hard to drop all these things at back of my head about proper shapes, anatomy etc. 

Planning to work more on the breats area while I get that leather body in.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She looks much better especially face 
    If I may add a few things as a possible approach : You could look for female with similar proportion and body type just to build your general anatomy and then when everything look solid to match to the character reference 
    From the line up you can probably see yourself that few things have to move around :
    -  feet need some more length 
    - make rib cage bigger or shave some of her buttocks
    - pectoralis connection still look to low (widest point on the deltoid is more or less on the same level)
    - root of the neck is too wide 
    - sacrum looks concave instead should be convex 

Best.

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    @carvuliero

You are saving my life here sir, thank you! :)
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    I seem quite happy with her to start blocking out the outfit :) Proportions dont match to every little bit, but I kinda like it that way more. 

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Blockout started :))

• JoseGR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    Looking really good! I would only suggest smoothing a bit the ASIS, right now I'd say those red point areas are too accentuaded

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    a slight update :)

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can add more curve to match her voluptuous body , probably biggest offender right now is straight clavicle 
    She is getting there, keep pushin

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Yeah, the clavicle is never straight, it has that nice elongated s-shape. And for the female sacrum, look for the "dimple of venus" and "Rhombus of Michaelis". It's nice and a slightly convex bumb above the start of the "butt crack" or more precisely above the coccyx on the sacrum area.

And here, carvuliero strikes again, cool! ^^
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    thanks guys @carvuliero @FourtyNights

Good points on anatomy, I like the idea on adding more curves to her overall look. Female body, doesnt matter if stylized or not, is annoying to sculpt :))
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Really nice progress so far Jakub! 

I have noticed some small things that I think can be pushed further before you do her coat. It is not important if you decide to cover up those areas though. 

Blue, Cyan, the arms are very straight and not as curvy as they could be. Especially on her lower arms and the deltoid. 
    Orange, the elbow is really flat and not defined in your sculpt. 
    Green, the Scapula is to straight and there seems to be no muscles or fat going over the shape of the scapula. 

I hope this helps! Good luck =) 

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    @Nuclear Angel

I was planning to adding some stuff to scapula once I get to finish the body, but with arms, I don't really bother myself ;) I am a firm believer on not wasting time on things that wont be visible.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Jakub said:
    @Nuclear Angel

I was planning to adding some stuff to scapula once I get to finish the body, but with arms, I don't really bother myself ;) I am a firm believer on not wasting time on things that wont be visible.
    I'm the opposite of you, and I strongly disagree. I always "waste" time on working on the anatomy stage for the perfection, no matter how much clothes are going to cover the character. I can't stand knowing the fact that the underlying anatomy is unfinished, wrong or rushed when working on clothes. I'm perverted and dedicated to sculpting anatomy. :D

I find it kinda funny that you sculpted straight scapulas, even though you've already made a magnificent "Witcher Hunter" character and you have this super cool "Atoq Navarro" character fan-art project going on in the background as well, while both of their anatomy in general is really good. It's just that you haven't really gone through the anatomy studies with 110% percent effort.

There's nothing more satisfying in the world of character artism, than a polished anatomy sculpt with all those complex anatomical nuances to tingle my mind with euphoric feelings, whether it's in the form of a dynamic pose or just in an A-pose or a T-pose. Good examples of this is Eugene Fokin's, Yuri Alexander's, Anton Slyusar's and Hossein Diba's anatomy work.

Only exception is 3D scanning of clothes where you can sculpt those remaining visible body parts, just for sake of speeding up the workflow. Hand sculpting clothes or even using MD to simulate clothes on top of your anatomy sculpt is crucial to have a proper nude sculpt underneath clothes. MD being less forgiving, because it drapes clothes on top of your nude sculpt in a way that all the errors on the anatomy shines true.

Basically you need to fix the anatomy with clothes on the fly, and that sounds unpractical to me, since you just could make the anatomy sculpt to the perfection in the first place to avoid these kinds of problems. :D

You're a really great character artist with tons of potential to be even better at anatomy. I highly recommend to learn anatomy so much that you'll know it better than your pockets of your pants. (;

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just one of those character artists who sculpts anatomy forever before even thinking about clothes. I get really frustrated if somethings isn't perfect in the anatomy, and I have this urge to fix thing here and there... and I'm entering the rabbit hole. :P

EDIT: You're still having a great character coming up here, so keep up the good work. But IMO Nuclear Angel is right about those suggestions.
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    @FourtyNights

No worries mate! Believe me, I love working on the anatomy, especially faces. Things that were mentioned by NuclearAngel are 100% correct and I would do it, if my character could benefit from that :) In this case, the lather jacket is thick and bunches up quite a lot on the elbow area, so adding that indication won't help that much.

In case where I really need proper anatomy with interesting volumes for MD simulation, I will always do it. Same applies to general anatomy studies(like M.Phelps on my Artstation). 

At the same time, little update! Worked mostly on the upper body part. Planning to block out jacket now and fix the back of the ear.

• Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jakub fair enough on not giving the anatomy the final push. But if this is a personal piece that is for your portfolio, giving the time to practice those details will only be good spent time, as you have no real deadline. Also it opens up the possibilities to make a version without the coat and playing around with those possibilities. Even if you do not have in the end a low poly without the coat, you could still have images of the sculpted highpoly in the portfolio if you make it solid. 
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    @Nuclear Angel

I understand your point mate, but I plan my work ahead. I never wanted to show HP body on its own, or make the version without coat etc. It's not just my sort of "whim", but I think it was enforced by looking at art in games. I don't think that character like Geralt has a defined anatomy underneath his armour and believe me, my Witcher dude had chicken legs :P

The only time I would go into getting really solid anatomy, although its not visible, is in the situation where I create most of clothing in MD, to get perfect simulation. 

That whole conversation spiked the urge to create anatomy study after she is done ;) 

And the update. 

• Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jakub  I understand your point and the focus on a more production oriented approach =)
    Sweet update on the clothes as well, but I think the collar could be wider to match the concept as well as the two straps that go down the back. They should be wider apart, almost hanging from underneath the shoulders.
    I am looking forward to the anatomy study. 
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Definitely looking forward to your anatomy study in future. (;

Speaking of your current WIP shots, that character is coming along great. You have the skills, man... but a small anatomy nitpick though, because I can't help myself. Sternocleoidmastoid's main origin point (sternal origin) isn't attached to the clavicles. It goes past them to the manubrim part of the sternum, hence the name of the muscle. Secondary origin point (clavicular origin) is the 1/3 of the clavicle with a thinner branch of the muscle sheet.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Super character model. You have been getting great anatomy suggestions. Apart from that, only dropped by to comment on the figure type in general. The proportions on this model are particularly attractive! They are a great mix of fantasy and reality, very effective.
    Good job!
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    @Nuclear Angel

You are right! I will change these things. 

@FourtyNights

+1, getting right to it

@kanga

Thanks dude! :) 

I will be changing the folds on these "wing" things on the back, I kinda feel like I made them too thin. Also, they give the appearance of that metal things weighting a ton.
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Little update :))

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Came back from holidays and back to working on her :)

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Few more tweaks and starting retopo :))

• Solid_Otter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solid_Otter polycounter lvl 6
    This looks great! Are you designing the clothing inside zBrush?
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    I've only simulated base for sleeves in MD, rest was done in Zbrush :)
  • Solid_Otter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solid_Otter polycounter lvl 6
    Cool. I've been curious about how MD is used in workflows
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Retopo and uvs are done, sitting down to texturing today!

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Wanna show some wireframes of your lowpoly? 
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    @Elithenia

Once I'm done with the bake, I will :)
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Texturing day 1 and wires. She is around 100k tris. 

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    oh that looks really clean!
    Nice bakes too :) 

• sstoev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    descent stuff mate ,, well done :)
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    done some work on face diffuse, still missing proper SSS/Roughness map :)

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    I'm quite busy lately, but slowly chipping away on that girl :)

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Little different lighting :)

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Skin shader update and some changes to the lips. 

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Got back to her after a while, done some major changes to the face, the really disliked the one she had. Worked further on textures and getting to her right now! :)

• Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww man hell yea! So glad to see you working on her again! Good luck on finishing her! 
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Thanks, I'd never abandon her ;)@Nuclear Angel

• Jakub
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    She looks awesome ! Congrats ! I love the face expression and the skin looks so good too =D
  • hassen_ta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hassen_ta polycounter lvl 2