Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Getting into digital painting!

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Daniel_Swing ngon master
Before I started 3D-moddeling, I drew. A lot. I've never really got into digital painting, so I feel like it's about time. I'll use this thread to showcase my progress!
C&C is very welcomed!

Replies

• Daniel_Swing
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Hey! Your details are looking good!
    You might want to spend some more time with a larger brush to get the 'textiles' to feel smoother
  • Daniel_Swing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel_Swing ngon master
    There won't be any inktober for me this year (I feel like I've already spent enough time with traditional ink and really need to focus on the digital from now on). I'll probably have more time next week to get back to painting as well!
  • mvdrocco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mvdrocco vertex
    Starting with greyscale - smart move! 

I can see you spent a while on the details of the robot. However, you've lost the bigger volumes and now, there's no way to tell which way the light is coming from.

As for the second drawing, maybe some anatomy references could help. More specifically, the wrist, forearm and torso (his shoulders look completely horizontal. I'm not sure that actually happens in people...) The way the vest falls on the chest makes it look flat, as opposed to having demon-baby-saving muscles. Come to think of it, the legs could do with a bit of anatomying (that's not a word) as well. 
    The placement of the sword is unfortunate: the blade aligns with the hem of the boot, which makes the viewer's brain go circus-kiwi. You don't want this.
    Similarily, the handle (I'll assume it's the handle) meets the exact edge of the jacket and overlays weirdly with the baby-holding hand. Again, brain stuff happening.  

Overall, nothing that can't be solved with some solid foundations: anatomy, composition, lighting. 
    Cheers!