Home Technical Talk

Stylized Fur

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Mazz8 polycounter lvl 4
Heyoo!

I'm trying to achieve a result like how the OW team does their fur:

And I've been failing quite a bit trying to figure it out on my own so I would like to ask for some guidance here. I found a model of Mei and saw that they they have different quad strips stacked on top of another along with the UVs so that all the strips are sharing the same length of texture:

I created my own mesh and got it to the point where it has a similar set-up as Mei's:

Where I become confused when the texture comes in. I know I can achieve the transparent look using an alpha shader and opacity channel in Substance Painter, but I feel like I'm missing a lot of steps. My questions would be:

1) Is the fur manually painted on PS, baked down from a sculpt or some other workflow?
2) How was the 'fuzzy" look achieved? I'm not sure if it was done during texturing or rendering.
3) Do you guys know of any tutorials about this specific workflow? I had no luck finding any.

Thanks for the help guys!

Replies

• Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    Doesn't look like there's much in the way of normal maps. Just simple gradients in the diffuse, you can make that in photoshop easily enough. Just paint the texture, and try laying your UVs on it. You can move the UVs around while looking for nice solutions in the viewport.