Home Unity

Could anyone explain how to script an emissive shader to flicker?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
Hello,

I study modelling and texturing, not scripting. I have NEVER understood scripting and wasted a lot of time making sure the } or ] is in the right place, so currently I am copy pasting so I can focus on other things.

Recently I redid the 'Clock' tutorial using a clock model I made myself.

and I have been learning to make lights flicker.

https://youtu.be/CZKaB2UyRZk

however this affects point lights.

I would like to make a script which makes emissive shaders flicker.

either by cannibaling the script in the youtube video above or another way.

thank you.

Replies

• mvdrocco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mvdrocco vertex
    Hi! 
    Simple question: do you absolutely have to do it via script?
    If, indeed, you are just "copy-pasting so you can focus on other things", why not try creating a simple animation for the flicker? Lots of random values with linear interpolation between each.

Anyway, if you're trying to learn how to actually do it by script, then a quick search would land you on this page: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Material.SetFloat.html
    Start by accessing the material parameters in your script, practice with changing different values and colors, and then, once you have a firm grasp of the logic of it all, you can try to re-implement the content of the "Update" method from the video you picked. 

I'd be weary of using that video as a starting point though, as it contains lots of code that just calculates a value (which can be visually overwhelming for a beginner, I suppose), instead of getting you accustomed to playing around with components. 

Good luck :)

• McDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McDev polycounter lvl 2
    oraeles77 said:
    I study modelling and texturing, not scripting. I have NEVER understood scripting and wasted a lot of time making sure the } or ] is in the right place, so currently I am copy pasting so I can focus on other things.

Frankly then you will never get rid of the problem. Spending a few hours and days in coding might safe you a lot of headaches. But if you want to avoid it then the animation system as mentioned is probably a good solution for you. Placing some random keyframes and making it loopable will work.
  • feloxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feloxy polycounter lvl 6
    Hi oraeles77,

Are you still looking for a solution? If So I might be able to help. I am not a programmer either but I am studying it as a hobby as I am more of a 3D artist. I made a script for my game that gets the emissive to flicker. It may not be the best and well optimized script but it works for what I wanted it for. I am not at home but I can check if you still need it. 
  • derphouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    derphouse polycounter lvl 4
    You could do some research on using sine waves. Start out with 2 or three at various frequencies(speed), and multiply them together, that'll give you a sort of flickering.