Home Career & Education

Best Character Artist tutorial?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
p.francescoven polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys, i'm looking for a good Character Artist (for games) tutorial. 
I'm asking here, cause I seem only to find tutorials that lack of something here and there.
Which tutorial do you suggest?

Replies

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    there is no perfect tutorial
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I haven't gotten a chance to watch them but maybe check out Adam Skutt's tutorial on game characters.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    3Dmotive has cheap tutorials.

@p.francescoven can you please explain what you mean by lack of something "here and there."  That sounds unclear./
  • p.francescoven
    Offline / Send Message
    p.francescoven polycounter lvl 3

@p.francescoven can you please explain what you mean by lack of something "here and there."  That sounds unclear./
    Yeah, I've came across very good tutorials, but sometimes they only cover some parts of the workflow. Like for example they would model the whole high poly character, and just render it as it is. I'm looking for something that explains everything, from anatomy, to clothing, retopo the whole model, baking maps, texturing etc :)
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character

Yeah, I've came across very good tutorials, but sometimes they only cover some parts of the workflow. Like for example they would model the whole high poly character, and just render it as it is. I'm looking for something that explains everything, from anatomy, to clothing, retopo the whole model, baking maps, texturing etc :)
    I'm pretty sure Adam Skutt's tutorial covers all of that.  One thing to keep in mind is Adam's stuff is for hyper real characters so that would have some differences from hand painted stylized characters workflow.  General principles would still apply but small details would differ.
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I did Skutt's class and I can only say that he covers pretty much everything and in a very clear way. He has a class soon too (starting October 15th), so if you have the money and you are going for realistic characters it might be a good class.

For the full body anatomy you might still need Grassetti's gumroad or someone else. We covered the basics, but there was not enough time to go into detail with the body. I am not sure if the on-demand bundle on GAi has lessons that the class didn't have, but I doubt it.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    For anatomy, my recommendation would be Scott Eaton's online courses.