Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Latest Build - 2019.1

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speaking of, could we get a link to the changelogs on the download page?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

SP 2017.3

Substance Painter 2017.3 is here!
    It introduces 2 new export options, a long awaited auto-backup feature, UI improvements and a new Gradient tool..

More details...

Changes:

• [Export] Allow to export mesh and textures for Adobe Project Felix
    • [Export] Allow to export into glTF file format
    • [Engine] Optimize textures size in VRAM by using block compression
    • [Viewport] Be able to drag and drop a mesh or project in the viewport
    • [UI] Improve warning message about TDR
    • [UI] Log should be displayed only upon request
    • [UI] Allow to clear the content of the log window
    • [UI] Display warnings and errors in the status bar
    • [UI] Display Tabs on top as in web browsers
    • [UI] Improve "not paintable" context and messages
    • [UI] Add a “save as copy” action in the file menu
    • [Layer] Set default tiling setting to 1 by default
    • [Shelf] Improved gradient filter to support 10 dynamic colors
    • [Shelf] Add a space in the default query of the mini-shelf
    • [Shelf] Add a 'Open in explorer' action for local resources in the shelf
    • [Shelf] Add template and shader for Adobe Material Standard (Project Felix)
    • [Shelf] Increase max tiling to 128 in Material Layering shaders
    • [Shelf] Added sobel curvature for micro-details of Mask Generators
    • [Plugin] Add autosave plugin with customizable time interval
    • [Scripting] Add a "save as copy" function

Fixed :

• [UI] Layout is broken at the first launch
    • [Export] PSD generated at export has format errors
    • [Export] EXR always exports 8 bits height map
    • [Export] Crash when exporting corrupted Additional maps
    • [Import] Hard edges are not preserved on low poly meshes in some cases
    • [Import] Improved error messages when importing meshes with issues
    • [Bakers] ID Map Baking fail with Match By Name enabled
    • [Viewport] Tangent space is not synched with bakers
    • [Effect] Moving back a layer doesn't restore an anchor's reference
    • [Effect] Refresh issue when creating a link in between two Masks with anchors
    • [Effect] Masks anchors above mask shouldn't be listed
    • [Effect] Extract Alpha setting from Anchors doesn't work
    • [Engine] Mask inverts itself after first brush stroke
    • [Engine] Crash when switching Texture Set on specific project
    • [Shelf] Crash when deleting a preset which is in a project
    • [Shelf] Typo in advanced Tri-Planar filter
    • [Shelf] MG Mask Builder AO Noise Scale doesn't work properly
    • [Shelf] MG Mask Builder has inverted curvature parameters
    • [Shelf] Imported alphas generate a material sphere preview instead of a flat one

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Performance is definitely improved this update — exporting at higher res and switching between channels is a lot faster; perhaps that's just due to the reduction in vram usage. The fix to fill layers repopulating all channels when you clear the only active one is nice too.

Shameless plug for something I'd like to see change: https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/suggestions/31670023-import-resources-default-values (I know you can shift-click to change multiple at once, but still...)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Bek said:
    Performance is definitely improved this update — exporting at higher res and switching between channels is a lot faster; perhaps that's just due to the reduction in vram usage. The fix to fill layers repopulating all channels when you clear the only active one is nice too.

Shameless plug for something I'd like to see change: https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/suggestions/31670023-import-resources-default-values (I know you can shift-click to change multiple at once, but still...)
    The design decision behind this current behavior is that we want to ensure that users don't import ressources with the wrong usage by mistake. Since you can't edit the tags and usages of imported resources directly from the shelf of Substance Painter the import window doesn't specify an usage by default. Also common resources can quickly change depending on what you are working on at a given moment.

I agree that improvements could be made on this window, but we have to be careful, or improve functionalities on an other side of the application first.
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    I updated to the new version, but i get the tdr error when i lunch SP, it never happened before.
    Some of my specs.
    GTX 1080
    i7 4770
    32GB ram

As i saied it never happened before, only from this update. Should i worry ?

• chaselt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chaselt polycounter lvl 4
    s1dK said:
    I updated to the new version, but i get the tdr error when i lunch SP, it never happened before.
    Some of my specs.
    GTX 1080
    i7 4770
    32GB ram

As i saied it never happened before, only from this update. Should i worry ?

I have the same message and question.

my specs 
    GTX 1070
    i5 - 7600K
    32GB ram
  • wannabe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wannabe polycounter lvl 18
    I followed the details in the documentation provided in the red link of the Troubleshooting message. It runs fine now and the message is gone.

Until now I've noticed Painter spewing out that same message about the TDR being too low and i never really knew what that was about.
    I suppose the value makes such a big difference performancewise that it pays off even more now to change it to a higher value.
    I think the TDR value sets the maximum time frame in wich windows doesn't actually think the GPU has crashed when doing bigger calculations.. or something ;)

Just follow the link,  it's explained pretty well there!
  • chaselt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chaselt polycounter lvl 4
    wannabe said:
    I followed the details in the documentation provided in the red link of the Troubleshooting message. It runs fine now and the message is gone.

Until now I've noticed Painter spewing out that same message about the TDR being too low and i never really knew what that was about.
    I suppose the value makes such a big difference performancewise that it pays off even more now to change it to a higher value.
    I think the TDR value sets the maximum time frame in wich windows doesn't actually think the GPU has crashed when doing bigger calculations.. or something ;)

Just follow the link,  it's explained pretty well there!
    Will do! Thank you :) 
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Froyok said:
     Also common resources can quickly change depending on what you are working on at a given moment.
    True. Perhaps allow the user to define the default resource type (and destination) in the settings.
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    @wannabe, i looked on the red link as well but they included this. "Editing the registry directly can have serious, unexpected consequences that can prevent the system from starting and may require you to reinstall your operating system. Allegorithmic takes no responsibility for any damage caused to your system by modifying the system registry." 

So yeah i dont really want to edit the registry if there is a possibility to damage my OS.
  • wannabe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wannabe polycounter lvl 18
    fair enough! I haven't had any problems since adding the values to the registry at least.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    s1dK said:
    @wannabe, i looked on the red link as well but they included this. "Editing the registry directly can have serious, unexpected consequences that can prevent the system from starting and may require you to reinstall your operating system. Allegorithmic takes no responsibility for any damage caused to your system by modifying the system registry." 

So yeah i dont really want to edit the registry if there is a possibility to damage my OS.
    Then you can simply check the "don't show this message again".

Note however that 90% of the crashes reported to us are because of the TDR value being too low. This operation is actually quite common for Substance Painter users and as of today nobody complained of damages related to this manipulation. On the contrary, it makes the software much more stable.

The only damage that could happen is if any mistake during its manipulation are done, but our step by step procedure should be clear enough so that it doesn't happen. :)
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    @Froyok
    I will do that, and i will change the TDR values only if i get crashes, so far i never got crashes with SP and sometimes i had big meshes and textures.
    PS: but why only from this update we have that error showing up on SP startup and never before ? At least for me.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    s1dK said:

PS: but why only from this update we have that error showing up on SP startup and never before ? At least for me.
    Before it was only in the log — or so I'm told, I had not noticed it despite TDR being default. Nor do I get the new message everyone is having, so the detection of TDR I guess isn't 100% accurate. (R9 380 here).
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Bek said:
    s1dK said:

Before it was only in the log — or so I'm told, I had not noticed it despite TDR being default. Nor do I get the new message everyone is having, so the detection of TDR I guess isn't 100% accurate. (R9 380 here).
    Or is has been disabled by an other application. ;)
    And yes, before it was only mentioned in the log, but nobody noticed it. Hence the new window now.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    If other apps can do it without needing the user to edit the registry and not having high tdr_delay is causing 90% of crashes I'd look into doing that. Especially since people unfamiliar with regedit seem put off by the new scary warning.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Bek said:
    If other apps can do it without needing the user to edit the registry and not having high tdr_delay is causing 90% of crashes I'd look into doing that. Especially since people unfamiliar with regedit seem put off by the new scary warning.
    We can't because of legal reasons.
  • Turchik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turchik polycounter lvl 4
    Was "merge texture sets" ever rolled into an export option? I know there are ways to do through Designer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMP2xpGHimY
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Seriously, "merge texture sets" was requested back in 2014. It's 2017...

I appreciate the products, but this is infuriating to me as a customer! Especially as the "last free update" for painter before they all become paid updates. I am NOT paying another update until this feature is settled into painter. I have lost LOTS of production time at work because of having to make minor art-director requested changes to a material/textures and re-export, re-import to photoshop just to re-merge them all into 1 texture set. Sometimes for multiple textures that are used for just 1 asset.

As pissed as I am about this, I really want to know just why "Uservoice" is suggested to target with 3 votes for most requested features to be worked on, and this one is still not done yet?
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator

"It would be really helpful to be able to add an image into a fill layer and then convert that into a paint layer.

For cleaning up AO as an example, doing this and then using smudge to neaten up issues would be really nifty." - https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/suggestions/13635558-convert-fill-layer-to-paint-layer

This is necessary for my company as we would like to move to Substance Painter. Right now we're editing diffuse in Mudbox using clone stamp.

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Seriously, "merge texture sets" was requested back in 2014. It's 2017...
    We have adressed this on our forum a while ago here: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,16732.0.html
    TLDR: Merging texture sets won't happen in the foreseable future unfortunately because of technical challenges due to the current architecture of Substance painter
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    It might just be me, but having upgraded to 2017.3  it now doesn't always allow me to update the mesh, which means I have to restart the project again if I made any changes to the mesh :(  Is this a known bug or new feature I don't know about?

This always used to work 100% of the time, but now its less then 25% it`ll allow it.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Save your project or rename your FBX before trying to import your mesh.
    It will be fixed in an hotfix very soon.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Froyok said:
    Save your project or rename your FBX before trying to import your mesh.
    It will be fixed in an hotfix very soon.
    Hey Thanks for confirmation that its a known issue, at least I`m not going mad :)  Look forward to the hotfix then!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

SP 2017.3.1

Substance Painter 2017.3.1 hot-fix release is now available! 
    Multiple crahses and regression introduced with 2017.3 should now be fixed.

Changes:

• [Export] Allow to export the mesh from a project
    • [Shelf] Remove "Sub-Shelf" from the tabs titles
    • Save post-process settings in templates
    • Make the TDR message more understandable
    • Improve Settings window to report errors

Fixes :

• Crash when deleting several sub-shelves
    • Crash when switching from a level to something else during an engine computation
    • [Mac] Crash on Intel GPU during engine computations
    • [Mac][Viewport] Bad performances when dithering is enabled
    • [Mac] MacOS 10.13 is recognized as "Unknown version" in the log file
    • [Baker] Baking with a cage doesn't work anymore
    • [Layers] Ctrl + C shortcut (copy action) doesn't work anymore
    • [Layers] Pasting layers doesn't refresh UI with anchor's references
    • [Anchor] Duplicate or Copy/Paste Layer with References breaks links
    • [Export] 8K export can crash or deadlock application in some cases
    • [Export] Multiple issues in generated glTF file format
    • [Import] Re-importing a mesh with the same filename doesn't work anymore
    • [Plugin] Auto-save window always appear on top of everything
    • [UI] Infinite loop when you Press "Escape" on the TDR Dialog
    • [UI] Reset UI display a second title bar on the shelf window
  • DMacDraws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DMacDraws polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for rolling out the hotfix Jerc! Does this fix the 2017.3 problem where calculating tangent space per fragment fails with an error message about not finding UVs in the hi res source model?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes it should.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5

You asked earlier for a proper explanation of how the brush should perform and I was starting to use substance for hand painted textures after seeing the original announcement some time ago but the implementation is not what i expected. And after googling a bit i came here...been a while since i logged in XD.

At the moment the brush in substance is constantly stacking regardless of pressure meaning the stroke gets denser in the same stroke just by overlaying  the stroke with it self. 

In photoshop a single stroke does not stack if the pressure is not higher than the current stroke. I demonstrate this in the gif above, the first blob is a single stroke with increasing opacity, the second line is repeated strokes building density using the same brush. Photoshop calls this "Opacity", clip studio calls this "Blend with Darken".

This behavior feels like it mimics paint and makes building up values much more controllable. The current "opacity" behavior only favors maintaining a certain opacity across multiple strokes, not the more painting effect people who want to do hand painted textures are looking for.

Hopefully this makes sense. I really like this program and would love to be able to properly paint textures in it.

Below is how the substance brush currently works which is frustrating when trying to control values. 

This is done in photoshop by setting the pressure only to flow and not opacity.  

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

SP 2017.4

Substance Painter 2017.4 release notes.

Added :

• [Instancing] Allow to instantiate parameters across layers

• [Instancing] Allow to jump between a source layer and an instance

• [Instancing] Add a "instantiate across texture sets" action

• [Instancing] Indicate in the layer stack re-entrant instances (cycles)

• [Instancing] Delete instances when a source is removed

• [Instancing] Don't allow Anchor's references from outside an instanced folder

• [UI] Move the Undo Stack into its own window named "History"

• [Plugin] Integrate DCC live-link plugin

• [Engine] Improve painting performances with Sparse painting

• [Export] Add draft and re-export options to Sketchfab exporter

• [Shelf] Add "flip" control for Font substances

• [Shelf] Add 20 new procedurals materials

• [Shelf] Add 40 new grunges maps (bitmap based and procedural)

• [Viewport] Enable brush preview collisions on other visible texture sets

• Update AMD GPU drivers minimum requirements

Fixed :

• Crash When computing Substances at too big resolutions

• Crash when painting heavily with particles

• [Viewport] Incorrect specular reflection in the 2D view with specific meshes

• [UI] Some unwanted actions appear into the History window

Known issues :

• [Layers] Some anchor's references cannot be restored if broken

• Crash when using redo after an undo of a Shader change in Viewer Settings

SP 2017.4.1

Substance Painter 2017.4.1 hot fix release notes.

Important: Several common crashes experienced by AMD Radeon users can be fixed by updating the Radeon driver to the latest Adrenalin release from AMD.

Added :

• [Scripting] Export mesh through the scripting API

• [Import] Disable import of unsupported mesh file format (allow only obj, fbx, dae, ply)

• [Log] Indicate more precisely the TDR issue in the log file

Fixed :

• Crash if application is closed before resources crawling has finished

• Crash when opening projects with Smudge/Clone tool

• Crash when using redo after an undo of a Shader change in Viewer Settings

• [Engine] Texturing differs between Painter 2017.2 and 2017.4

• [Viewport] Picking on an ID map from an instance samples the wrong color

• [Export] Crash when exporting an invalid normal or occlusion texture

• [Export] PSD files have their groups locked when opened in Photoshop CS6

• [Plugin] Photoshop plugin ignores channel selection and always export everything

• [Layers] Anchors break when copy/pasted across Texture Sets

• [Layers] Some anchor's references cannot be restored if broken

• [Shader] pbr-coated secondary roughness parameter is broken

• [Steam] Version checker pop-up shouldn't be visible at launch

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    When was the procedural text removed?  I can only find locked fonts (as in cant choose a TTF) in 2017.4.1

EDIT:  My mistake, I didn't realize the font tool was limited to your font creator.  Can you all share the substance designer node setup you used to make the editable fonts?  As so we can then add our own out from Designer.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Creating a font graph is pretty simple, use a text node and plug it to an output node. Expose the text and size fields and publish the substance, done.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

SP 2017.4.2

Added:

• [Export] Get the status of an export with step by step progress
    • [Export] Allow cancelling an export
    • [Export] Export textures to Sketchfab without losing normal map quality
    • [Export] Export in glTF binary format (glb)
    • [Export] Allow resizing columns in configuration tab of the export window
    • [Shader] Add a changelog for the shader API
    • [Scripting] Add Before and After callback functions when exporting textures
    • [Iray] Upgrade to SDK 2017.1 (support of Volta GPUs)

Fixed:

• Crash when quitting the application before the main window is displayed
    • [MAC] Crash when loading grayscale maps with IRAY
    • [MAC] VRAM detection is not correct with the new High Sierra OS
    • [Plugin] Downloading assets from Substance Source does not work anymore
    • [Scripting] Incorrect minimum plugin version detection
    • [Export] Fail to save export preset after exporting textures
    • [Instancing] Issue on generators instantiated in a TextureSet with no Additional Maps
    • [Viewport] Dithering does not work with resolution above 4k
    • [Viewport] 2D View material display is covered with noise
    • [Shelf] Improve loading time for shelf presets
    • [Engine] Incorrect blending when painting under color selection
  • Tetranome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys,

I saw a couple threads mentioning the ability to refresh a smart material/designer substance in Painter - and its upcoming implementation. I've got a ton of substances being used on multiple UDIM layers in Painter, so an instant refresh for changes made in designer would be glorious. Just wanted to check if I missed it or perhaps if it's still planned?

Thanks!

EDIT: All hail the resource updater plugin. It's the little refresh button on the top shelf for anyone else looking! :)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey folks,

I already posted this on the Allegorithmic forum, but maybe a Polycounter has the answer.
    (Its also possibly related to Tetranome's above question).
    I've created a smart material for my team, and checked it into perforce. As the project has progressed, I've needed to update this material and iterate on it regularly. However, it seems that I can only save those changes to a NEW smart material, rather than updating an existing material. What this means, is that I'd have to mark for delete (in perforce) the old SM, then copy in the new one with the same name, and mark for add(perforce). This means I lose my version history/control which is not good.

Any help?
    PS: I'm on 2017.4.2, Windows 10
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    I haven't tried this myself but what happen if you just checkout the file in perforce then save overwrite/ copy paste the new version of the smart material into the old one without needed to mark for delete? and in Painter just update your resource through the Resource Updater?

*I do noticed that you can't save smart material onto itself from within Painter, it's just create a new preset. Probably you can delete the old SM without needed to check in the changes to the perforce and rename the duplicated one into the correct name. If I'm not mistaken perforce will just simply recognize the new file as an updated version of the old one because as far as the server knows the old file (with all it's history) still available in the server and you have a newer version of that same file in your local.

Just my opinion though, might not work on your case cus I haven't work with smart material library based on perforce before :wink:
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

SP 2018.1 - Spring Update

Substance Painter Spring 2018 Update is here!
    A brand new style, new user experience, performance improvements and better painting among other things!

More details...

Added:

• New overall style (icons, color, behavior)
    • New default layout
    • [Tablet] User experience enhancement while painting
    • [Main menu] Sort native items in views and toolbars first
    • [Main menu] Move quick mask actions in viewport section
    • [Main menu] Move right-click actions into viewport section
    • [Main menu] Rename "View" menu as "Window"
    • [Quick menu] New tool properties by right click in viewport
    • [Dock widget] New dock toolbar for quick reduce/recall
    • [Display settings] Camera and viewer settings window merged
    • [Layer stack] Contextual right click menu
    • [Layer stack] Drag and drop to move any effect within the same layer
    • [Toolbar] Reorganization of toolbar and new contextual toolbar
    • [Tools toolbar] Split clone tool into two separate tools
    • [Tools properties] Lighter background grayscale value in the preview
    • [Tools properties] Organization in tabs (fill and tools)
    • [Tool] Painting result matches the stencil
    • [Viewport] New cursor for fill layer
    • [Viewport] Smoother navigation and painting (higher frame rate)
    • [Viewport] Material/Channel/Map selection combobox in viewport
    • [Viewport] Reduce flickering while rotating (shadow on)
    • [Shelf] Display materials by default when opening Painter
    • [Shelf] Loading time improvement of Substance textures and materials (2 to 6 times faster)
    • [Shelf] Reorganize materials folders to fit Substance Source structure
    • [Shelf] Drag and drop materials directly on the mesh in the viewport
    • [Shelf] New 3D Noises (Perlin, Perlin Fractal, Simplex and Worley)
    • [Shelf] New 3D Linear Gradient mask generator using mesh position
    • [Shelf] Updated base Noises to support non square expansion
    • [Shelf] Added new template and export preset for Lens Studio (Snap application)
    • [Shelf] Updated Smart Materials and Smart Masks to use latest version of the Mask Editor (micro details)
    • [Shelf] New sample project "TilingMaterial" to create seamless tiling materials
    • [Shelf] New brush presets (Calligraphy, Wet, Hatching and so on)
    • [Sliders] New sliders and grayscale/color bars style and behavior
    • [Bakers] Allow use of full scene bounding box to compute the position map
    • [Shader] Remove height force parameter from the default shader parameters
    • [Engine] Substance engine updated
    • [Engine] No or less discontinuities across UV chunks
    • [Plugins] Import materials downloaded from Substance Source more quickly
    • [Plugins] Update all plugins to match new overall style
    • [Preferences] Preview background color changes automatically
    • [Clean] Reduced risk of project corruption
    • [Open] Opening project time improvement
    • [New project] New project - mesh update time improvement
    • [Save] Saving Project time improvement
    • [Log] License type reported in log
    • [TextureSet] Rename "Bake Textures" button as "Bake Mesh Maps"
    • Rename "Additional maps" as "Mesh maps"

Fixed:

• [Viewport] Bad performances with meshes containing a lot of sub-objects
    • [Tools properties] Channel disabled when dragging and dropping an image into the material slot
    • [Tools properties] Brush preview is broken with smudge and clone tools
    • [Texture set] Channels order is wrong when using templates
    • [Shelf] Missing icon for Grayscale Conversion generator
    • [Shelf] Sign Circle Number alpha is broken (missing font)
    • Incorrect detection of integrated GPUs at launch
    • [Crash] Drag-and-droping an imported ressource named with a # character
    • [Engine] Vram detection issue on integrated GPU
    • [Engine] Fixed numerous crashes in Substance Engine Linker
    • [Engine] Square artefacts when changing resolution
    • [Post Effects] Interface resize is slow when post effects are on
    • [Bakers] Scene unit is not correctly respected for Ray Distance values
    • [Bakers] AO from Mesh Occluder distance is clamped to 1 no matter the input value
    • [Bakers] Match by name ignores some meshes with specific names
    • [Bakers] Color from mesh Polygroup and Submesh ID setting always return a black image
    • [Bakers] ID Baking fails with binary FBX meshes from Blender
    • [Shader] Noise in the 2D View with dota-2 and non-pbr-spec-gloss
    • [Linux] Only one CPU thread is used when baking
    • [MacOS] Crash with brush cursor moving over the viewport

Known Issues:

• Computation freeze on AMD VEGA GPUs
    • Distorsion post process not taken into account while exporting in IRay (alpha)

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Revel said:
    I haven't tried this myself but what happen if you just checkout the file in perforce then save overwrite/ copy paste the new version of the smart material into the old one without needed to mark for delete? and in Painter just update your resource through the Resource Updater?
    Should work,  it works with SVN and there's nothing that can do that perforce doesn't do better 

I keep a shelf separate from the user default for each of the projects our company is working on so usually I create/modify them in my local shelf and then overwrite the shared project shelf asset. Saves twatting around with renaming/deleting files etc.. 

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

SP 2018.1.1

Fixed:

• [Tablet] Issue when changing default interaction choices
    • [Bakers] Crash with Assimp library
    • [Bakers] Regression on performance with A.O. map
    • [Iray] Lens Distortion is not applied to the Alpha channel
    • [Drivers] Update of minimum drivers requirements
    • [3Dview] Normals not correctly generated on UDIM meshes without normals information
    • [Intel] Crash with Substance Painter 2018.1.0
    • [Intel][Viewport] Issue with padding (black artefacts)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

SP 2018.1.2

A new update for Substance Painter is now available!
    The main highlights of this new build are improved baking speed, revamped save system, Chinese translation and the ability to switch off the new padding method.

If you encounter issues saving your project, refer to the documentation.

Added:
    • Summary: Improved Baking Speed, Improved Save System, Updated Sliders, Updated Plugin API, Chinese Translation, Improved Padding now Optional
    • [Bakers] Performance improvement with new baker version
    • Force display dialog with incompatible GPU
    • [Save] Expose new compact project functionality (full/compact save mode)
    • [Save] Inform user in case of saving error
    • [Clean] Next save in full/compact mode
    • [Sliders] Improvement of the precision of the color/grayscale bars and sliders
    • [Sliders] Addition of Up/Down arrow controls
    • [Sliders] Same detection zone for color and grayscale bar sliders
    • [Plugin] Autosave always in incremental mode
    • [Plugin] Option to switch plugins to new interface style
    • [Language] Add Chinese translation
    • [Padding] Option to switch between UV and 3D space neighbor padding per Texture Set in Texture Set Settings
    • [Script] Expose save mode: full/compact or incremental
    • [Script] Update scripting/QML documentation
    • [Log] Indicate save mode in log (full/compact or incremental)

Fixed:

• [Tool] Channel slot transforms into a material slot on single-channel fills
    • Crash when loading a mesh (FBX) with some faces not assigned by a material
    • Crash in Iray with NVIDIA GRID 5.2 on virtual machine
    • Crash when undoing a material preset deletion
    • Crash when loading some projects
    • [Command line] New command line for UDIMs meshes split-by-udim
    • [Toolbar] Shrinking of the toolbar
    • [Instancing] Cannot instantiate bitmaps across multiple texture sets
    • [Viewport] Refresh is not complete when painting on mesh with tiled UVs
    • [Iray] Normal Map is applied twice for dielectrics
    • [Shelf] Typos in some Substance parameters (alphas, procedurals and matfx)
    • [Shelf] Typo for the bitmap "Authorized Personnel Only"
    • [Script] Function alg.shaders.materials() does not work anymore

Known Issues:

• Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    I noticed a bug with substance painter(it happend only once, so not sure), that if you are running out of disk space and try to save a document SP wont tell you that it can't save, it will just save a corrupted project and call it a day. once again I might be wrong but do look into that if you can.
    thanks
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Did that happen in the 2018.1.2 release? The saving system has been overhauled and should avoid any corruption now.
  • Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

SP 2018.1.3

A new minor hotfix release for Substance Painter is now available!

Added:

·  [Preferences] Propose to save project when Painter restarts

Fixed:

· [Plugin] Search in Substance Source plugin does not work

· [Smart Materials] Importing Smart Materials leads to a crash in some cases

· [Smart Materials] Deleting Smart Materials leads to a crash in some cases

· [Save] Saving leads to a crash in some rare cases

· [Shelf] Invert setting does not work on Cells 2 and Cells 3

· [Shelf] Typos in some Alphas

· [Shelf] Some substance materials do not render properly

Known Issues:

· Computation freeze on AMD VEGA GPUs

• Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11

I just updated to 2018.1.3.  I've noticed huge lag times when trying to export a texture. (for example, exporting out a simple 2048 diffuse texture can take up to 5 -10 mins). I've also had problem switching between materials, the lag times are unbearable. I wasn't having these problems before the update. Any ideas?

Edit:
    I'm running: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070. I just updated to the latest drivers.
    I did a clean install of 2018.1.3.
    I'm on windows 10 64-bit.
    Intel(R) Xeon(R)
    50 gigs Ram
    DirectX 12
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @jerc Hey mate, just wondered if there's any plans to port the 'skew fix' feature from SD over to Painter? I've been using Painter exclusively to bake now for the last 2 years, with the noticeable exception of having to move some bakes to Toolbag 3 because of skewing. This is a bit of a workflow disruption and a pain in the arse and what should be an unnecessary step. A 'skew paint' masking feature should surely have been a feature of SP by this stage.

Cheers.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    There are plans to have the feature in Painter at some point, but I can't say much more than that for now.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

SP 2018.2

The team has been hard at work for the past 4 months to deliver a Summer release jammed packed with new features and improvements. From hobbyists and indies to high end visual effects studios, there is something for everybody in Substance Painter 2018.2.

Added/Changed

• [SSS][Viewport][Iray] Generic subsurface scattering
    • [SSS] Sync MDL and subsurface scattering parameters
    • [SSS] Added a new grayscale channel named "Scattering"
    • [SSS][Shader Settings] Scattering type parameter for subsurface scattering (skin or translucent)
    • [SSS][Shader Settings] Scattering scale parameter for subsurface scattering
    • [SSS][Shader Settings] Scattering color parameter for subsurface scattering
    • [SSS][Display Settings] Scattering Sample count for subsurface scattering
    • [Shader][Iray] Integrate subsurface scattering MDL for Iray
    • [Shader] Shader update via the resource updater
    • [Shader] Update change log API and documentation
    • [Tool Properties][Proj] New parameters for the triplanar projection
    • [Viewport][Proj] Control Fill Layer properties in 3D view directly with manipulators (triplanar projection)
    • [Shortcuts][Proj] New shortcuts Q, W, E, R, T for triplanar projection manipulators
    • [Viewport][Proj] Control Fill Layer properties in 2D view directly with manipulators (UV projection)
    • [Shortcuts][Proj] New shortcut Q for UV projection manipulators
    • [Contextual Toolbar][Proj] Control triplanar projection manipulators
    • [Contextual Toolbar][Proj] Control UV projection manipulators
    • [Tool Properties] Disable texture tiling with projection and Stencil tool
    • [Stencil] Use non-squared images with the projection tool/stencil
    • [Stencil] Allow control of tiling mode in Properties window
    • [Stencil] Zoom is not centered on a non-tiling stencil
    • [Cameras] Import cameras from Maya, Max, Blender, Modo, DAE
    • [Cameras][Viewport] Select and control imported cameras in viewport
    • [Cameras][Iray] Select and control imported cameras in Iray
    • [Cameras][UI][New project][Project configuration] "Import cameras" is checked by default
    • [Cameras][Shortcuts] Add shortcuts "<" and ">" to switch between cameras
    • [Cameras][Viewport] Add frame in viewport
    • [Cameras][Viewport Settings] Control of frame opacity
    • [Cameras][Camera Settings] Maximum focal length at 500mm
    • [Cameras][Camera Settings] Expose ratio
    • [Cameras][Camera Settings] Add a lock option
    • [Cameras][Camera Settings] Add a restore option
    • [Cameras][Camera Settings] Add focus distance attribute
    • [glTF] Import of a glTF file
    • [glTF] Import ambient occlusion map
    • [Alembic] Import Alembic 1 frame with static geometry
    • [Shelf] Drag and drop materials directly onto the mesh using ID maps with a modifier (CTRL/Command)
    • [Layer Stack] Automatic ID mask creation with drag and drop of materials on mesh with ID maps
    • [Layer Stack] Automatic scroll of layers with drag and drop across the layer stack
    • [UI][Tool Properties] Expose Substance's preset
    • [UI][Help menu] Improvement of the Help menu
    • [UI][New Project][Project Configuration] Reorganization of the window
    • [UI][New Project][Project Configuration] Replace "Mesh" term by "File"
    • [UI][Substance] Display Substance attributes in UI
    • [Shortcuts] "F4" switches between 2D and 3D view
    • [Shortcuts] New shortcuts for toggle stencil "N" and quick mask "U"
    • [Substance integration] Take into account 'visible if' statements in the Substance parameters
    • [Viewport] Shadows not forced to be computed after camera move
    • [Content] Update MeetMat with imported cameras
    • [Content] Add a sample with subsurface scattering enabled - JadeToad
    • [Content] Add a new PBR project template with subsurface scattering enabled
    • [Content] Updated export presets to add new Scattering channel
    • [Content][Shelf] Added subsurface scattering support for: pbr-metal-rough, pbr-metal-rough-alpha-test, pbr-coated, pbr-spec-gloss
    • [Content][Shelf] Added Scattering channel to 5 smart materials (marbles and skins)
    • [Content][Shelf] 1 new jade Material
    • [Content][Shelf] 1 new wax Material

Fixed

• [CMD] Different results using same command line with different versions
    • [TDR] If TdrLevel is set up you don't have any errors in your log
    • [Baker] Ambient occlusion map is flipped
    • [ID Map] Crashing when picking outside of 0-1 range
    • [Iray] Crash when switching texture sets and going back to Paint mode
    • [Viewport] Sync drop areas between viewports for drag and drop
    • [Engine] Moire artifact when tiling fill layers or painting small brush
    • [License] License service bad software version check
    • [License] Rework the way we handle authentication
    • [API] Call the `onNewProjectCreated` scripting API event even when creating with a template
    • [Shader] Compiled shader is not loaded from cache when shader file doesn't compile
    • [Shelf] Exporting HDR file from the shelf will output a file with clamped values
    • [Export] EXR export clamps RGB color values between 0-1
    • [Content] Procedural noise "3D Perlin Noise Fractal" is pixelated

Known Issues

• Huion tablet issue with shortcuts on Windows OS

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    any news about UDIM support to paint multiple tiles in one go..?
  • Gigantoad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gigantoad polycounter lvl 5
    oglu said:
    any news about UDIM support to paint multiple tiles in one go..?
    I've just about given up on that to be honest. They've been stringing us along for years on this, I'm beginning to think it won't/can't happen because of the application's architecture or something. Always the same answer, it's a huge job and we wanna do it right etc.

Happy to be proven wrong but that's the vibe I get.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    We know it's been a while and it's as frustrating for us as it is for you guys.
    A lot of progress is being made behind the scene. Actually, if you load a UDIM mesh in Painter today and don't check the "create one texture set per UDIM tile" option, you'll see that the UV view is very different than it usually is and that UDIM tiles are properly displayed there even if still not functional in the public release.

We can't wait to be able to let everyone play with it and hopefully we prove you wrong sooner than later :)