Home Career & Education

Will me being 26 yrs old pose an issue when job hunting?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
Hey,

So I just turned 26 a few days ago and I'm planning to job hunt pretty soon (probably in a month or two) once I finish up my demo reel. I did a round of job hunting approximately a year and got nothing in terms of game jobs.

I did get an unrelated 3D job that I'm hoping will boost my CV.

Now I know ageism is a thing and me being 26, only 4 yrs away from the big 3-0 without a game job is kind of surprising. I thought I'd have an industry job by now but after leaving uni in 2013, I had no skills. So I took online workshops to better myself and the time has just flew by.

Now, I feel more ready and have been told that I definitely have the potential to land an entry level/junior role. 

I just kind of feel like it's getting late to land my first gig.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

Replies

• radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    no. age is w/e.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    It feels like everybody in the creative industry freaks out about either being too young or too old. Its like people think they need to be 24 years old forever in order to fit in.

You're going to keep getting older. Eventually you'll get grey hair! :o Hopefully you'll be in your company's CEO position by then though.

Just kidding man, don't worry about it. I know people in the game industry that are 27, even 28! ;) Just keep working on your portfolio and strive to become the best artist in the world :)
  • CrackRockSteady
    As many professionals here will tell you, your portfolio is all that matters.  No one cares how old you are as long as your work is good.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Yup, no one cares.  Just make good art.
  • RyanB
    The biggest risk as you get older is stagnating.  You have to continue learning throughout your career.  That means picking up new tools, new techniques and new skills. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the responses, it helped alleviate some of my fears. Guess it truly is all about the portfolio. 
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Yet I still wonder, being soon 34 myself, if age is really not an issue at all? I mean, I personally have no issues whatsoever with superiors being older/younger, male/female,.. or whatever. I simply don't care about these things, but I wouldn't be surprised if recruiters / superiors do wonder how an elder candidate will fit into a team that might have younger people in senior roles. Or HR thinking that someone at that age will demand a higher salery from the get go. Sure this can be addressed in a interview, but with the tons of applicants droping in on any open position its hard to not expect a basic filter being applied here like with spelling mistakes.

And yes, I am aware of a strong enough portfolio being more important than anything else, still in other industries this is no small side issue and I've been asked this by people around me.
  • garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    @Biomag I can imagine it feeling odd at first, but will eventually get adjusted to.

I'm sure there are other developers who started at a different industry, and then switch to games. Maybe comparing to someone who's been in comics, then in games.
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    One area where age can be an issue, is in an environment with too many fresh out of school graduates applying en-mass for junior positions.
    In this case age may be a filter in addition to several other filters all applied discreetly in a grey area sort of way.
    I think that regardless of the age aspect, important to keep bettering your self and eventually going freelance. A job is good for a time, better to be your own boss down the line.
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    @garcellano : Nah, I am not feeling old - my body is, but that's not the point :D It's more about the way people look at the age thing when they don't know you and actually all they see is a portfolio and a CV, while they looking for reason to put you on the 'lets not waste anymore time on this, I have 1000s more to discard...'-pile
  • garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Just a random thought, because other might be curious too, if you add in your graduation year on you resume/CV, as the years go by, if that effects the job hunt. I'm not sure, but it made me wonder a bit.
  • CrackRockSteady
    @garcellano I can't speak for anyone else but personally when I'm looking at potential hires, I don't even look at a resume unless the portfolio is good, and when I look at a resume I rarely bother to look at what school someone went to or when they graduated.  It simply doesn't matter.  If you're worried about that, don't include the graduation date on your resume.  I seriously doubt it will affect your ability to find a job.
  • brucemoose
    Offline / Send Message
    brucemoose polycounter lvl 3
    No portfolio comes first, Glen Keane's pretty old but I don't think he will ever struggle for a job in the industry! :D
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    No portfolio comes first, Glen Keane's pretty old but I don't think he will ever struggle for a job in the industry! :D
    Guess that is besides the point. No one is doubting a industry veteran's age will not be an issue. Topic is about people new to the industry / art therefore without job experience in the field.
  • brucemoose
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag said:
    Guess that is besides the point. No one is doubting a industry veteran's age will not be an issue. Topic is about people new to the industry / art therefore without job experience in the field.
    My point was if he's skilled enough then he would be fine, but yes poor example duly noted.
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Biomag said:
    My point was if he's skilled enough then he would be fine, but yes poor example duly noted.
    ;)
  • brucemoose
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag said:
    Biomag said:
    ;)
    lol
  • aryarie
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie triangle
    I hope it's not a problem, because I'm 28 and I've only just started learning how to make stuff! :p

I'm sure you will be fine, plenty of people change careers and such and get into different things when they are older. 26 is nothing! Slightly different industry, but in my first job as a software developer I worked with someone who used to be a nurse but she trained in Java later on and became a junior developer in her 50s... in a team of mostly younger people (20s - 30s). :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    I'm 50. Just started a new job in another industry. Granted, I'm in a management role. But it's never too late.

I've hired people near my age into Junior positions. If they show the portfolio, and they still have the flexibility and the passion, boom, hired.

Still, I did get burned recently hiring an older worker into an entry position. This person seemed to have a chip on their shoulder, turned out they didn't actually devote themselves 100% into learning the ropes. Couldn't keep up with the pack.

So, I get that people have an ageism bias. But for every sour apple, there are other old workers who totally kick ass. It really comes down to personality traits... Does this person have the spirit to grow and improve, or do they not?

Hard to judge, even with young workers. Interviewers have to be on their toes.

Takeaway: show a great portfolio, and show the passion.
  • Goat Justice
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    FWIW I was 26 (actually a month shy of 27) when I was offered my first industry job...
  • Bletzkarn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    I'm 26 and only got my first 3D job 7 months ago. Most senior artists are in their 30's so I think it's fine. TBH any age is fine.

• Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    26 is well under average for people I've worked with 
  • Christian Cunningham
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Cunningham polycounter lvl 10
    I started 3D when I was 19, I didn't land my first job until I was 24. Don't worry man, just keep pushing.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    ...nope!

Whether traditional, digital, hybrid or whatever...an individual's age in most creative fields especially visual arts isn't called into question. From my experience it's the level of attained proficiency that counts.