Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character WIP- Tracker ( critiques are welcome)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
aanselmo polycounter lvl 2
Hi, first time posting here, I always follow a bit polycount but never posted anything. I am starting now because a friend really recommended it and seems the best place for feedback.

So here it goes. I am taking a online course in anatomy and a while back I found this amazing concept from Brian Matyas (https://www.artstation.com/bmatyas) and I wanted to do the full character, guns and maybe the hover bike. 
I'll post the progress I have and I hope anyone here can help me improve  :):)

Update so far...

Replies

• aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is the work on the body so far and REFs

• ArNavart
    Offline / Send Message
    ArNavart polycounter lvl 2
    Progress so far is...      Amazing! The head has some real likeness to the concept. And the body anatomy is solid, did you made it completely from scratch? 
    The only  thing that I'd tweak a little is the area between ribcage and pelvis in the profile view and  sternocleidomastoid muscle again in the profile view.  But other than that really great progress!
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    ArNavart said:
    Progress so far is...      Amazing! The head has some real likeness to the concept. And the body anatomy is solid, did you made it completely from scratch? 
    The only  thing that I'd tweak a little is the area between ribcage and pelvis in the profile view and  sternocleidomastoid muscle again in the profile view.  But other than that really great progress!
    Thanks :D yes it's from scratch, just used simple objects to make the head and body structure.

I will work on those points, Thanks ArNavart :D 
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Love this!
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia said:
    Love this!
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
    Thanks Elithenia :)
  • Vermo3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermo3D polycounter lvl 5
    amazing work so far ! the head look really amazing and really close to the concept. The body is really solid i would pay attention to the curve on the chest actualy it like a straight line
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermo3D said:
    amazing work so far ! the head look really amazing and really close to the concept. The body is really solid i would pay attention to the curve on the chest actualy it like a straight line
    Thanks @Vermo3D,  could you be more specific on what curve you are talking about? 
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Everyone. Here is a small update on the character, Is taking a bit since I am new to anatomy and I am following a course about it. Any feedback is always welcome

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    She is too straight no waist , try give her a bit more curve 
    Your reference are ok just use them more closely 

• aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @carvuliero  I have already changed a few things based on your feedback, just going to wait for a correction on the arms from my teacher :smiley:
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to hear that , who's your teacher (me O_o)? 
    I wouldn't worry about arms too much right now even they all misshapen and probably too short , make torso and legs working nicely together then worry about the rest 
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    @carvuliero ahah no, I'm following a anatomy course by Rafael Souza, this weeks work where the arms and next will be legs, but if you more feedback on the arms is always welcome :smiley:

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Never heard of him unfortunately :( anyway if the good stuff is coming next week I wont spoil the fun and you have torso to work on meanwhile 
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Right now, her arms feel a little short to me.  Would be easier to see if you show the whole body with the arms.  I agree with giving her a bit more curves but it sounds like you already implemented that.  Aside from what carvuliero pointed out, she is really looking great.  
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @carvuliero in case you want to check his work (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtHvyIUQ5nJOa1FRzIZmrwg), he is brazilian tho xD

But thank you and @slosh  for the feedback, since I am waiting for the arms correction I have here what I have changed so far. Still a bit tricky to get the chest and abdominal area well but you will be the judges. And I scaled the arms a bit too
    Just a bald version for now in case anyone spot something on the head
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Once Again I have to work a bit more on the body, not sure why but it's look almost the same but I think I have improved it somehow xD any feedback is welcome
  • Bar0n
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
    very nice! i love to see the progress and it's definitely showing with the last piece.
    I don't know how legs are positioned but maybe thighs should be a bit closer to each other or it's just my impression? 
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n  I haven't workn much on the legs, is just a temporary, I am working on her while I learn anatomy, but you are probably right :smile:

• aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    As been a while since I haven't upload anything, the torso changed a bit (again xD) and working on the legs and feet. Any feedback is more than welcome :smiley:

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    I wont comment on short and stocky look it probably result of not establish proportion for whole character early on or can be your desired body type 
    Butt and neck and arm connection to body need serious revisions 

• aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @carvuliero I knew there were some points that needed more atention. The short and stocky was to look more like the concept, but probably she is a bit short. I will fiz it all

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept look fine .Your torso to leg ratio is in favor of torso  that why she look short 
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again thanks @carvuliero I thought I had her height ate 7,5 head, but she was a bit short on the legs, I fixed a few of the errors you point and I will work a bit more on her tomorrow, any more things you or anyone spot feel free to  tell
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Just out of curiosity, what are they teaching you exactly in this school/course of yours -> any construction ? 
    I believe attached reference image is similar in body type and proportion to your girl unfortunately have some prospective distortion as camera was around his knee for some reason so everything to her waist will be ok but above will be shorted , keep that in mind 

• aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    @carvuliero the course is pre-recorded videos divided in areas about the skeleton and muscular anatomy (mostly male) and videos sculting them, male and female and at the end I cna send the work I have done and receive feedback in video.

That reference look really good, where that you get it? I will use that as main, and I will study a bit more the torso, it has been a bit difficult the get it right. Thanks
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    I see so not much of construction then , in this case you have to learn that yourself , good place to start is to learn bony landmarks (if you know skeleton already wont be that hard - probably few days just read the names or better draw over then images  ) This will help you check proportion of your designs easily (which will also help you to self critique your work) also is good for origin/insertion of muscle 
    Reference is from 3d.sk - Barbora
    I have attached few images of bony landmarks references + Loomis surface landmarks 
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,  here is a new update, I know is more of the same but thanks to @carvuliero and my friend André Lopes I learn a lop about the female body so I had to change a lot of parts to perfect her. they may be a few areas to work a bit more, mainly the feet but I wanted to share how it going so far
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got the retopology and uvs done. I separated the head/neck and hand from the rest since they are the only parts showing. I am also trying a different way to do the eyes with only 3 parts. I hope it works, that way I think will be a lot easier to use on other characters. The only thing missing is the teeth, I made the mouth bag but not sure it I should keep it, or merge the bag with the teeth to be a single mesh or just put the teeth inside the bag xD, anyone have ideas on how to do that? 

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should continue working on her gesture and fixing some volumes here and there 
    You have way too much crooked lines its usable but you will have hard time skinning to such topology
    My suggestion is  to copy the model in zbrush and use nudge or move to straighten your topology then re-project that specific area 
    UVs are quite wasteful you should rearrange UV shells and repack them better 

• aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @carvuliero
     This is without any subdivision or smooth so for now it's normal they look a bit  bad, the uvs I only care about the head and hands but I might work a bit more on that. the legs need to go a bit back yes but that and the rest I will fix later on zbrush
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you can try something like that for UVs

• aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    That piece you didnt' knew what it was is part of the head where the hair will go, since it will be mostly hidden I though it could occupy less space
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    You could even delete it if its never be seen or you have something covering it like hair cap 
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to keep it even if is in low resolution, since the hair will be grey, maybe darker on the roots. but what I will probably do is put the hand on the same uv, since only the finger will show up, but I will only texture the hands and head

• aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message

Hi Everyone, been a while since I post any progress here, I have being fighting with the cloth part on marvelous and manage a good workflow from marvelous to zbrush to detail, but here it is the final result, still in high poly, so U have to retopology everything. 

If there is any feedback on the cloth please tell me

• tahakitan
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    hey, the character is coming along.  For the clothing I would go back through and give some areas silhouette breaks/shapes.  The entire character with the clothing on is becoming  tube like.  a good way to see this is by putting the flat color matcap in zbrush to see the outline.  I would also sculpt/edit the folds for the butt.   look at female with jeans and pants to see how the folds form around the butt leg region.

Personally i think the belt and pants go up to high  it usually lays on the upper part of the butt.  the chest strap feels to front heavy and the bags on it have a thick shape that doesn't really exist anywhere else on the character so it leads your eyes on it. maybe adding larger shapes through silhouette breaks on the clothing will help balance that issue though. if not maybe introducing similar elements/feeling throughout the body.

overall its def. coming along well. For now i would focus on silhouette break and balancing the shape and sizes to help lead your eyes around. Of course this is just my opinion.
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @tahakitan, this is why I love polycount for feedback, I agree with you, I didn't touch much of the  the folds from marvelous, so it maybe needs a few more on the back. But this is more like a flight suit I think and I am trying to be as near the concept as possible. about the bags on the chest I agree, they take over the rest, but maybe with the handgun holster and the helmet it might balance a bit better and I probably make them a bit thinner, for now they are just like that because I made only 3 of them and the rest are duplicates. I need to take shots of the helmet to put here as well
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message

While I fix some of the folds on the cloth here are some shots of the helmet, 2 versions, the biker and the tracker
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks to @tahakitan I worked again on her cloth, noticed the pants were a bit too large and that was the major problem on the lack of folds.
    What you think? is it better or nah?
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have the face details done for a while but I keep changing her features to look more like the concept. But To keep this post updated here are some shots of it. I wish zbrush could render shadows between subtools, I quite like the renders, but hate not having shadows from the hair to the face and somehow the face shadows look better to me on the view than in render. If anyone have a solution for that it's much appreciated  

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    I would continue with features If I ware you -> nose been the top priority
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks @carvuliero Yeah It still need more tweaks. Almost everytime I open the model I change something xD
  • splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    splicer polycounter lvl 7
    This is looking great! I would check your helmet against the concept art. Something I noticed and made a quick paint over, hope it's ok.

The ventilation piece in the middle is wider and is a separate from the main helmet body. Also the metal bracket goes down to the base of the helmet opening against the rubber grommet liner. There are also two body lines that run parallel with the bracket and ventilation piece.

• aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @splicer the helmet was hard to do, first time using the zmodeler for a complete hardsurface model. I will make a second version with your feedback, see if I keep almost the same amount of polys and with better details. Thanks :smiley:

• splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    splicer polycounter lvl 7
    @aanselmo I'm glad it was helpful! And it is tricky, try the slice curve and group loops on the pieces you've isolated. Good luck, it is looking fantastic so far. Love the details on her skin especially.
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Here an update on the helmet, had to redo most of the big part so I could separate the vent and top lateral pieces
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Here some Keyshot shot with basic textures
  • RachidJ
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    Amazing work so far! any marvelous tutorials that you would recommend for someone starting out with the program? 
  • aanselmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @RachidJ Hard to tell for me marvelous was learning the basic tools and try to get the patterns right by trail and error. But check Travis Davids on youtube, he usually have pretty good stuff on marvelous. Also Lori Griffiths, not focus for vfx or games but have some good videos about marvelous
  • RachidJ
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    Thank you so much @aanselmo for the sources and advice on how to approach the program. Will definitely give it a look!  :)