Offline / Send Message
nico1984 polycounter lvl 4
hi any ideas on how to improve this?

Replies

• Banketo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Banketo null
    Hi, Its my first comment so excuse me if its not all that useful. I spent some time analysing your sword and stumbled upon a realization that I dont understand swords all thet much which made me curious to research it. With that said I think you have done a good job especially with the rusty crossguard, the edges look worn out which makes the materials look more interesting and realistic at the same time. Wouldnt be a surprise if this sword had a long history behind it.

I'm glad you showed 3 images it helps figuring out the PBR however though, its still quite hard to tell. I'm not sure if this website supports it but a moving GIF would show your weapon in a much better format for texture critique.

With my limited vision I can tell that the blade's texture looks like metal but if it was on a flat square it could also look like ice. I think the damage to it is overdone, in fact all the little dents look like someone was smashing the side of it into sand and rocks which isnt something you would see on a sword. The hilt's texture looks like some sort of coated wood, might be leather but it wouldnt be obvious if it wasnt on a sword. The pommel ring looks like wet rusty metal. Rust isnt very reflective. Other than that everything looks fine and in place in fact I was just nitpicking. Perhaps nothing to be worried about but I still suggest looking into tweaking some of your textures.

I think there is no better way to improve your textures than researching the materials and objects you plan to texture therefore i highly suggest watching some videos on how, swords are traditionally forged and why their components look like they do and if they do in fact go through many wars. If they do start to rust and lose their initial glory, then thats what you should research and work on the texture as you look at the images.

Here are some examples: https://youtu.be/RBUXVB3Bi70?t=7m9s

Image result for old swords
    Image result for old swordsImage result for old swords
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter

Hey man, here’s some things I’d point out;

-          The handle has a weird bumpiness to it. I can’t tell if its wood or iron.

-          I’m trying to figure out why the blade is green. I’ve never seen green iron before, so my mind turns to mold, which wouldn’t grow here.

• nico1984
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Banketo your feedback is very well recived and very complete ill research some more into why swords look like they do and try to put it into these thank you very much!!!
  • nico1984
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis first yea there is some uneeded bump there, and the blade is green cause of the enviromental texture hehe my bad there thx for your feedback
  • nico1984
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    these are the new renders, i still feel that the blade might be not very accurate but im happy about the grip and the hilt, so what do you think?
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Are you using any reference for this?
    Looks like the blade is supposed to be two-edged or more like no edge at all. Do the 3 grooves on the blade serve any purpose?
    It's not clear that the crossguard material is.
    Leather grip looks very shiny still.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I think you should increase the grooves between the leather straps on the handle.