Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Rusty Trailer

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
McFearson polycounter lvl 4
I'm looking for some critique on my most recent project.

Everything was modeled in blender, textured in substance painter with the 2 textures that were made in substance designer, and rendered in Toolbag.

Artstation Link

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Great work on the trailer! I'm not a fan of the grass texture though. It's really flat, and could use some actual geometry poking out.
  • McFearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work on the trailer! I'm not a fan of the grass texture though. It's really flat, and could use some actual geometry poking out.
    Thanks! I tried adding some grass planes at one point but they didn't give as much depth to the grass as I would have wanted for the extra polys I was adding. I thought the leaf shadows on the ground would give it enough depth but I guess not. I might give grass planes another shot with some taller grass and maybe just add it near the areas where the trailer meets the ground instead of everywhere.
  • undin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    undin polycounter lvl 2
    I think the trailer looks really good, it might look cool if the dirt trodden track leading up to the trailer had some marks on it from people walking, like bumps or if you make it more muddy it could be footprints. You could sculpt out the mesh your using for the ground and then bake a normal from that and apply it to what you already have. Like Ashervisalis said, the ground looks a bit flat, some rocks or dept from grass image planes or particles would make the trailer sit in its environment in a more believable way (prehaps some tire track alphas from were the trailer was parked, or the wheels being slightly sunken into the ground would be good?). Or you could just present the trailer without the ground mesh if your focus was just the trailer.

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    Man i love that tarp texture, i've tried so hard to do it properly before, it's always turned out looking wrong.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    rexo12 said:
    Man i love that tarp texture, i've tried so hard to do it properly before, it's always turned out looking wrong.
    Yeah the tarp texture is pretty good eh.
  • McFearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    undin said:
    I think the trailer looks really good, it might look cool if the dirt trodden track leading up to the trailer had some marks on it from people walking, like bumps or if you make it more muddy it could be footprints. You could sculpt out the mesh your using for the ground and then bake a normal from that and apply it to what you already have. Like Ashervisalis said, the ground looks a bit flat, some rocks or dept from grass image planes or particles would make the trailer sit in its environment in a more believable way (prehaps some tire track alphas from were the trailer was parked, or the wheels being slightly sunken into the ground would be good?). Or you could just present the trailer without the ground mesh if your focus was just the trailer.

I painted in some foot prints in the paths leading up to the door along with under the awning. I tried to keep it subtle but I guess it ended up a little too subtle.

My main focus was in fact on the trailer. The ground was more of an afterthought to ground the trailer a little bit. It sounds like most of the critiques are for the ground. Is the quality of the ground THAT much worse than the trailer that it brings the piece as a whole down?

Thanks for your feed back.

rexo12 said:
    Thanks! the tiling texture was made in substance designer. If you have access to it the graph for the tarp is fairly simple. The base texture is the weave 4 mixed with some directional noise. The smaller crinkles are the crystal node warped and blurred, and the larger creases are the creased node layered over itself and adjusted levels. I can post screen caps of the graph if you want.
  • McFearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just realized I made this breakdown and never uploaded it here. In case anyone wanted a breakdown of the tarp material here it is: