Home Technical Talk

[3DSMAX] Convert Smoothing groups to Creases (Data Channel Modifier?)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
OccultMonk interpolator
Open subdiv does not support smoothing groups as input. I would like to use MatID or Smoothing groups as input and output selected edges or creases. I want to use the Data Channel modifier to convert manual created smoothing groups to creases and use those as input for the Open subdiv Modifier. Is this possible with the Data channel modifier?

I know I automatically crease edges based on an angle are possible, but I want to use manually created smoothing groups as input. The Turbosmooth Pro modifier supports this, but I would like to use the default 3ds max modifier.

Replies

• Swordslayer
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    The edge mode of Data Channel modifier is extremely limited compared to the face and vertex mode. But I've made a simple scripted modifier that converts smoothing group borders to edge selection. Not sure if it will work for what you want performance-wise, try and see. Add it to the object, then add Data Channel on top of it with Edge Input (selection) -> Edge Output (crease) (maybe throw some other operator like Scale in there if you want). 
  • OccultMonk
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    That's great!

About the data modifier: I was able to use the smoothing groups of the face subobject mode as input. But I could not convert to edge selection. or creases, it gives strange results. I do not think the data channel modifier can convert smoothing group borders to selections or creases.
  • Swordslayer
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    Exactly, although it wouldn't be hard if the Maxscript Operator had Edge mode - but it only supports Vertex mode and Face mode.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Using an Editable Poly / SGs to EdgeSel / DataChannel / OSD works quite well though, even though it's a little convoluted.
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    The build-in Max quad-chamfer modifier support SG input and by stacking the turbosmooth ontop will achieve the result, what's the benefit of using opensubdiv? or am I missing something?
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    It's a bit faster and generates better UV's and so on, if that's an issue for your workflow. A Max chamfer-by-SG and OSD on top works fine as well, obviously, and generates way less unnecessary geo than using edge creasing.