Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• CafeNight
    Offline / Send Message
    CafeNight polycounter lvl 5
    Justo said:
    perna said:
    @Justo , just to clear up the first question: The intersection point is where the two boolean operators line up. So the question is - why did you decide to make the subtraction exactly there, as opposed to a bit to the left or right or whatever.

Because generally, whenever I try to do boolean ops with objects that have faces that coincide, sometimes the operation will create bad, super thin faces that force me to just delete the whole area and bridge/cap. So I guess I've grown used to avoid that, and prefer to just bool stuff that doesn't snap exactly at the same places. Would you disagree with this?

In any case, tried what you said and voila, no super thin faces were created and it seems to me it looks good enough.

However, I had to eyeball some stuff, and I wanted to ask if I'm just doing it wrong. I'm talking about the bevel, which, much like moving verts along their normal axis/Push modifier, behave badly with complex shapes. Thus, I eyeball the corners:

I don't know if the bevel moves verts using the same formula as Pushing, where it's multiplying the vertex coordinate by a number, and by the avegare vertex normal direction, and maybe what I'm having trouble with is mathematically not possible?
    reset x-form in 3dmax always after boolen operations 
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Really really amazing stuff Perna, thank you. Really intrigued on that Bevel bit you wrote; I'll make some meshes trying to apply what you just did in a few hours.  
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Again, thank you @Perna. Most of these questions I ask are really simple, but I ask them anyway because sometimes these are just unproven perceptions, and a confirmation from a pro always seal the deal. Plus I always get to pick up some fun phrases like "Garbage in, garbage out."

Like you said, not using bools and making the shape from the cylinder would be best. Not only you skip any possible errors with the bool ops, but you also end up naturally making the geo needed for the right bevel.

Following what I was saying on the Push stuff, how do you go about modeling panel lines? It always drives me up the wall whenever I have to move something along its normal and because of the interpolation it looks like crap and I have to go in an manually tweak those little fckers. If, say, I was baking a real big panel line in a 4k map, that little detail would look awful if I just left it like that. Do you even bother moving that?

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Yeah, panel lines was the wrong term, since like you say they wouldn't stick out. As you guessed, the real question is dealing with the bent shapes a normal Edge Extrude gives. 

You say I should avoid subdividing before doing that. Yeah, normally I would. I just subdivided to try give an example of a more complex thing that'd have some lines going through that area, sorry if it wasn't good enough. What if, say, you needed that geo for something else? In cases like this, would you not agree that'd slow things down?

You talk about booleans to fix this? You lost me there haha. Booleans would surely be unnecessarily convoluted to use just for this? Isn't Straighten Edge enough?  
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @perna
    Thanks again for all the info man. It's good to hear that you wouldn't bother fixing that in most cases, I do agree it's an extreme level of anal precision I'm talking about. Just wanted to talk about the subject and hear your thoughts on it. 

As for the whole boolean talk, well yeah, I would normally assume if anyone mentions it they're talking about adding or substracting meshes, or talking about a true/false variable when coding. My peanut brain hasn't quite figured out what your image was supposed to be telling me, but if I wanted to make that selection, I would just select a middle edge>Grow Loop>Ring. Hopefully some day I'll look back at it and realize the Per wisdom inside those pixels. 
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Well well well...I know what I'll be studying this lunch break and possibly later tonight!! 
  • aset1106
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Hi, i was modeling those examples here http://imgur.com/a/dEWXP. one of them, i did like in the SS, but at some angles you can see some pinching, and i can't fix it. I think that this mesh was done in this topic, but i couldn't find.  

So, if someone knows if it can be fixed, please let me know. I can't upload obj.

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    dchani said:
    snip that mf thaang
    You're missing a supporting loop here:

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    gfelton said:
    You're missing a supporting loop here:
    Another weird stuff happen when i do that. 
    -----
    Perna,

With that topology that i posted yesterday i can't see those pinching when using the grey matcap, maybe are the reflective matcaps the problem? 
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    perna said:
    Got it now, thank you perna! 
  • admiralpixel15
    Offline / Send Message
    admiralpixel15 polycounter lvl 2
    Hi all! Can somebody please explain the terms "triple/tripple edging and fencing?" I was doing some research about subdivision modelling and I encountered these terms. I tried looking for definition but can't find any on Google. I'm sorry if the question is not about modelling specific shapes. Thanks in advance. 
  • admiralpixel15
    Offline / Send Message
    @perna Oh OK thanks for the quick response. Are they some kind of special technique for maintaining hard edges? Here's the one I found on ArtStation.

Link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mYVE1
  • admiralpixel15
    Offline / Send Message
    @perna Oh I get it now. Thanks perna! You're the boss! 
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    He called it "triple edge" because it involve 3 edges, 1 for main and 2 for support loops. But I never heard that term before, ha!
  • heyeye
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    Revel said:
    He called it "triple edge" because it involve 3 edges, 1 for main and 2 for support loops. But I never heard that term before, ha!
    Wait 'til you see this new sword....

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Any tip about how to make this transition? https://prnt.sc/gg0262 wouldn't be so hard to just make a square that goes up, but is too tight there, i don't understand what is happening there, i did some different stuff but always end up having to do it from the start. 
  • NoRank
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    If I got your question right, those two pieces are separated, there is no need to model them as one piece.
  • iacdxb
    Offline / Send Message
    iacdxb polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,
    Trying to do this base but I don't think its with hypernurbs. anyone can me with this...? Thanks.

• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    NoRank said:
    If I got your question right, those two pieces are separated, there is no need to model them as one piece.
    That explains, still having problem deciding when to use more than one piece, thanks! 
  • triton
    Offline / Send Message
    triton polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys,
    How do you scale the faces every face on its own place? locally in Maya? I tried everything but none of the methods is working!
    I wanted to do it simultaneously to have same scale value on all faces. Thanks

• eXeshechka
    Offline / Send Message
    eXeshechka polycounter lvl 5

edit mesh>transform or shift+rmb in component mode >transform component
  • triton
    Offline / Send Message
    triton polycounter lvl 6

woow thank you so much dude
  • admiralpixel15
    Offline / Send Message
    @triton You can also change the pivot to "Component" in the Modelling Toolkit. 
  • PancakeMSTR
    Offline / Send Message
    PancakeMSTR polycounter lvl 4
    Hi, 
    I'm trying to model keyboard space bar and having some trouble. Hoping you guys can help me model this. See attached image, happy to clarify anything unclear. Thanks! 
  • triton
    Offline / Send Message
    triton polycounter lvl 6
    @triton You can also change the pivot to "Component" in the Modelling Toolkit. 
    I tried that before but it's not working.
    Thank you for your reply.
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Help with this shape?

My not ideal progress so far, I tried boolean-ing and adjusting the topology after. Not ideal because it's hard to bevel after.

• sheheryar_noor
    Offline / Send Message
    sheheryar_noor polycounter lvl 10

How do we do that in Max if you know?
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    In Max you can just simply change your "Reference Coordinate System" to "Local" or "Local Align".
  • carlbat
    Offline / Send Message
    carlbat polycounter lvl 6
    Hello guys, sorry for my english is medium, i need orientation for this topology, is that correct?I have seen all the pages of this publication (+100 pages), and copied all cases for topology, help me please. Thanks for your participation.
  • rage288
    Offline / Send Message
    rage288 polycounter lvl 7
    @carlbat
    looks fine to me, what seems to be the issue?

• carlbat
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh no no problem, just i want comments for this model, i correct polygons for this part. here is what i want to achieve, thanks for you comment.
  • rage288
    Offline / Send Message
    carlbat said:
    Oh no no problem, just i want comments for this model, i correct polygons for this part. here is what i want to achieve, thanks for you comment.
    Looks good to me, but I would tell you to post for help if you see an issue not just for comments.
    This thread is for advice on specific shapes not critique.

Cheers!

• carlbat
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, sorry friend.
  • snakedogman
    Offline / Send Message
    snakedogman polycounter lvl 8
    Carabiner said:
    Help with this shape?

My not ideal progress so far, I tried boolean-ing and adjusting the topology after. Not ideal because it's hard to bevel after.

How about something more like this?

I know that's not perfect, but I think it's the right direction :)
    You might need some more faces in the big vertical cylinder shape.
    Personally I would practice on some simpler shapes first. Instead of something with 4 or 5 cylinder shapes merging at add angles, try something with just two.
  • ebi
    Offline / Send Message
    ebi polycounter lvl 5
    Hard edge rectangle extrusion on a curved surface with a subsurface modifier.
    I'm going mental, I'm trying to extrude a rectangle shape out of a cylinder, (also I try to get hard edges on the extrusion) when using the subsurface modifier I'm getting a pinch at the edges if I'm trying to give it another edge loop I get this ugly line going from top to bottom.
    The only way that works for me is CGMaster's video . (also obviously create two separate meshes)

My question is: Is there any way to create a single mesh hard edge extrusion on a curved surface (with subsurface), only with edge loops or topology manipulation??

pls help.

• Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ebi said:
    I'm going mental, I'm trying to extrude a rectangle shape out of a cylinder, (also I try to get hard edges on the extrusion) when using the subsurface modifier I'm getting a pinch at the edges if I'm trying to give it another edge loop I get this ugly line going from top to bottom.
    The only way that works for me is CGMaster's video . (also obviously create two separate meshes)

My question is: Is there any way to create a single mesh hard edge extrusion on a curved surface (with subsurface), only with edge loops or topology manipulation??

pls help.

i dont want to be that guy to mention this, but this has been answered literally hundreds of times on this thread, first and second page already have good pointers.
  • snakedogman
    Offline / Send Message
    ebi said:

pls help.

You need to keep even distribution of edges on the cylinder, otherwise you ruin your cylinder shape. So use the original vertical edges of the cylinder as control loop, without adding more or moving them. If you need to edge to more defined you may need more edges on the cylinder.
  • ebi
    Offline / Send Message
    ebi polycounter lvl 5
    i dont want to be that guy to mention this, but this has been answered literally hundreds of times on this thread, first and second page already have good pointers.
    I've looked and I tried the different ways and still didn't get the right result.
    that's why I'm asking for help

basically I'm trying to achieve hard edge, extrusion on the curved surface without pinches and deforms with one mesh. 
    works easily with two meshes and hard edge crease, but just want to know..
    not sure it's possible...

example with separate meshes and mean crease:

• rage288
    Offline / Send Message
    Just as @snakedogman showed, but with tighter control loops and you are done

• ebi
    Offline / Send Message
    ebi polycounter lvl 5
    Alright, Thanks so i guess as always, More geo is the answer
  • Ausonian
    Offline / Send Message
    Ausonian polycounter lvl 13
    Erase those last posts before perna reads :smile:
    What's wrong with snakedogman mesh? I think it should suffice; try only to tighten the bevels, if you need harder edges.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, I'm having trouble modelling this. I can see some tiny ridges when I subdivide. I'm unsure how exactly to close the loops without it giving a slight bump.

How would you guys go about this?

• snakedogman
    Offline / Send Message
    This is basically the same as the previous question, and has the same answer, only instead of an extrusion you have an inset. Those weird honeycomb shapes you have? Don't do that.
  • snakedogman
    Offline / Send Message
  • rage288
    Offline / Send Message
    Ausonian said:
    Erase those last posts before perna reads :smile:
    What's wrong with snakedogman mesh? I think it should suffice; try only to tighten the bevels, if you need harder edges.
    yep

• ebi
    Offline / Send Message
    ebi polycounter lvl 5
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    This is basically the same as the previous question, and has the same answer, only instead of an extrusion you have an inset. Those weird honeycomb shapes you have? Don't do that.
    Thanks. I tried a similar method to the one posted on the previous page and it worked out much better. I still get a tiny bit of pinching on the corners of the inset(vertically), is this unavoidable? It is almost unnoticeable when I apply a blinn material over it but would like to see if I can eliminate it 100%.

• Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    There's no point in eliminating 100% pinching really, most of the time it's just gonna take 1 or 2 pixels out of your normal map bake.
  • guitarguy00
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel said:
    There's no point in eliminating 100% pinching really, most of the time it's just gonna take 1 or 2 pixels out of your normal map bake.

The minor pinching well be removed during the bake?