Home Technical Talk

help game hair workflow.

kaushik manna
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
kaushik manna polycounter lvl 11
hey guys can anyone share a good workflow for hair making for game. i want to learn hair. 

thank you

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @kaushik manna

Have you literally not been able to find any tutorials or existing examples on this forum, or have you not found a satisfactory solution?  There should be a couple already floating here, if not already on Google.

For me the issues became specific steps in any one of those tutorials.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    what kind of hair do you want to make?
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    http://bfy.tw/DwSj

There's literally been tonnes of stuff on this topic, how to do it, and workflows on it. 
    Just google before posting... 
    Some of the really big names in the industry has just released videos on how to do hair.... 
  • kaushik manna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaushik manna polycounter lvl 11
    Brian "Panda" Choi i find many but i am not able to get the output m looking for . i dont have much experience  with hair ..
    Neox  this kind of hair i  want to make.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    you really only have to google it, Thers so MANY hair tutorials you should be able to find something, not to mention he polycount wiki
  • PolyHertz
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Before you start "doing hair" there are a lot of questions you have to answer or at least think about before you decide on a technique. You didn't really provide much other than "game hair" which does help narrow it down a bit but not nearly enough.

What app(s) are you using, Maya, 3dsmax, Modo, zBrush or something other?
    What is your experience level with them?
    Do you need to be walked through the basics of using an app or can a tutorial assume some basic knowledge?

Are you looking for an out of the box solution or are you open to using plug-ins?

You already defined the style and that's good, but what type of hair are you creating?
    Sculpted clumpy anime hair, high end PC simulated hair, console friendly, mobile friendly, low end mobile?
    What engine is it going into?

Are you looking to do hair/fur simulation (Nvidia Hairworks, TressFX), just cards, a mix of both?

How do you want to generate the hair?
    Do you plan to draw it in a 2D package, make cards and arrange them by hand?
    Or do you want to use Hair/fur simulations and bake it down?
    Sculpt it?

Do you need it to move?
    How will you accomplish that, spine simulation, joints, simulated joints?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fs6rle_IbE
    This covers a pretty standard workflow in xGen which is included in newer versions of Maya. It's probably the easiest path to follow that gives decent quality and offers quite a bit of flexibility with a gentle learning curve.

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Yea there are various ways you can go about this.  First question is, are you doing realistic card hair or stylized chunky hair?  From there, you could easily google either "realistic card hair" or "stylized chunky hair" and get lots of tutorials on google.  For realistic hair, that Tom Parker tutorial linked above is great and super close to how I do hair as well.