Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(Critique/Advice) Dragon Sculpt based of Concept

triangle
Offline / Send Message
EnriqueGn triangle
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here, I want to hear your opinion on this model I made, it was done in Zbrush and rendered in Keyshot, I'm really looking to improve and hope I can get some pointers from you.

This is the concept done by Terry Wei.

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    solid start!
    I would try to match the lighting from the concept a bit more, right now your render is looking a bit stiff and boring.
  • j_swan
    Offline / Send Message
    j_swan polycounter lvl 6
    Like lotet said, I think the lighting could use some help. Notice in the concept they have a warm light on the left, and a cool light on the right. Pop a warm orange light in there, and it will instantly pop!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Chest needs to be pushed forward more.
  • EnriqueGn
    Offline / Send Message
    EnriqueGn triangle
    Thanks a lot for the advice, I really need to do better renderings, its one of the things that I really have a hard time with, did a couple of fast renders that I want to show you, tried to add a bit of the background to the scene, I hope it's not creating noise, it would be awesome if you could tell me if I'm heading in the right direction.
    Will push the chest outwards a bit more tomorrow and post an update.
    Thanks a ton again.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    well, the rocks themselves dont match the style of the character, but the overall idea of the background is pretty good.

as for the lighting, I still think you can push it way more. a good thing to try is make everything in the scene a basic gray material, and then try to light everything from there.
  • EnriqueGn
    Offline / Send Message
    EnriqueGn triangle
    lotet said:
    well, the rocks themselves dont match the style of the character, but the overall idea of the background is pretty good.

as for the lighting, I still think you can push it way more. a good thing to try is make everything in the scene a basic gray material, and then try to light everything from there.
    Thanks a lot for the pointers, ill work on it more and post an update as soon as possible.
    And yes, the rocks need a ton of work and a change in style, thanks again !

• EnriqueGn
    Offline / Send Message
    EnriqueGn triangle
    Did a couple more of quick renders, trying to push the key light far more, I feel is looking better and far less flat than my first renders, thanks a lot for the advice, also tried to do the gray material tip lotet gave me.
    Im experimenting with lighting to see what works better and will do a couple test renders with the poly paint and materials on tomorrow, now I see I know nothing about proper lighting or scene set up, any other advice you have is really appreciated, I will be studying more about lightning and rendering techniques.