Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critque - 3D Environment Art

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
eleventh polycounter lvl 3
So many portfolios out there! This one is mine  :) 

I'm looking for feedback, advice, and critique. One concern I personally have is that the selection of work that I've done are pretty "boring". The scenes are more architectural than environments with a fantasy vibe. I wonder if that's an issue.

Like many people I'm all self-taught so right now I'm having a few issues getting hired in the field. In the meantime, I'm sure if I keep improving my portfolio and web presence something is sure to turn up. So I sincerely appreciate any feedback for improving my digital creations ... !

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Hot dang, I got hot and bothered by this.

I really appreciate at an overall read, you do speak loudly with work you have.  I get a strong sense of composition and minimalism.  Red Canyon is a good example of this to me.

You can also paint, and it is good.  Noice.

No home page.  Just go straight to the art.  You're adding one more click to this all that you don't need to.  Minimize annoyances.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Your work looks great, and has great composition. I can tell you're a fantastic artist.

But from the works presented, I get the feeling you have an eye for big picture, more than for detail. I feel like I'd trust you more as a level artist than an environment artist. The individual objects in the scene are not particularly impressive on their own, but in the scene they work very well.

I wouldn't feel confident handing you a complex prop to make to modern PBR spec, based on the work in your portfolio alone.

I'd like to see more work involving material definition. Variations of roughness, etc. Right now, your two scenes don't have much contrast in that regard, especially the chinese courtyard. It feels very dull and flat, and the colors generally feel washed out.

And I'd like to see a complex prop or two. Guns, tools, suitcase, whatever makes you passionate to make it look awesome, and push the material definition and level of detail.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    The biggest thing that caught my eye was the leaves in the Chinese courtyard. They're all hovering an inch or two above whatever they're lying on.
  • eleventh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eleventh polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the kind words and the C&C. 

No home page.  Just go straight to the art.  You're adding one more click to this all that you don't need to.  Minimize annoyances.
    It's funny I've always agreed with this but when you put work into a landing page you want to link to it.  Thanks for the feedback Brian - I'll set home to portfolio. Art is home!

Joopson said:
    I'd like to see more work involving material definition. Variations of roughness, etc. Right now, your two scenes don't have much contrast in that regard, especially the chinese courtyard. It feels very dull and flat, and the colors generally feel washed out.

And I'd like to see a complex prop or two. Guns, tools, suitcase, whatever makes you passionate to make it look awesome, and push the material definition and level of detail.

Thanks for the honest opinion Andrew, you are quite insightful. I've been operating under the philosophy that in a scene, no one object has to be perfect, it's rather the composition that pulls the work together, and I think that results in the exact impression that you got. You're absolutely right and my next piece will be a single prop. 

Could you clarify what you mean by material definition? I'm interpreting it as having a wider range of materiality in a prop, so maybe something like an antique telephone that has both rough wood and polished gold trim? 

The biggest thing that caught my eye was the leaves in the Chinese courtyard. They're all hovering an inch or two above whatever they're lying on.
    Ahhh yes. backlogged for waaaaay too long that one. Thanks for the fresh eyes Thomas