Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Modular Garage

Hello,

I've been doing landscape work for sometime now and I think it's time I revive my modeling skills. I've decided on creating something I haven't done before, a modular garage.

My goals are:

A) Learning modularity - Creating modular pieces and UVs is something I've never had the opportunity to do before.
B] Learning lightmass - In all my works I've always used dynamic lighting but here the realism I want can be achieved with baked lighting only.
C) Learning custom vertex normals - So I can avoid hard edges as much as possible.

Without any further essay I'm going to ask my question.

Q1: I did a bit of experimenting with difference chamfer distances, I'm currently settled at 3cm. It looks fine tome but I'd like to know if there are any universal chamfer distances people often use so soften wall corners?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    Hey!

I'm doing something very similar except an apartment instead of a garage, and I want to learn pretty much the exact same stuff as you.

I think your 3cm example is actually working quite well, ultimately I think it depends on the material. Bricks, Stone and Wood are going to have a slight chamfer due to erosion. The older the material the greater the chamfer will be.

This timber piece actually has a chamfer cut into it, so it would be accurate to not even smooth it. Glass is another material that is often chamfered on purpose.

with age the timber chamfer becomes larger.

Plastics always have soft chamfers due to the injection molding process. The only item I can think of that essentially doesn't have a chamfer is steel, which is usually hidden or capped.

I'm interested to see how you will handle seems in between modular pieces as my experience has shown that the light map will create visible artifacts in those areas.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn, Thanks.

Here's a door textured in SP rendered with Iray. It's been a very long time since I textured anything like this. How's it looking?

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good to me! 

I will be especially pedantic and critique your door despite it being more or less spot on.

The only improvement I can see is the directionality of your wear and tear as it tends to be more linear:

Image result for metal warehouse door

Image result for metal warehouse door
    Maybe it's just because I'm used too it but the grunge map used on the roughness just feels too familiar and seems to be sitting on top of the asset rather than apart of it.

Also the normal map on the door is throwing me off a bit. The edge is metal but the door itself has a normal map that suggests it's a softer material.

hardly noticeable though. 
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn, Thanks.

I've reworked the normal, roughness, sharpened the dirt a bit, added slight bump to the notice sign, slightly enlarged the key holes, added very thin black line at bottom and top of the door to make it feel like there's a gap between the pieces.

I think both brown and dark dirt need to be sharpened more, they look more blurry than I wanted.
    I think roughness ended up being too grainy.
    My eye sees things better after I post an image.  :p
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Already looking better.

I started on my door but I have to go watch a few tutorials on UE4 lighting ><

These are separate meshes however and I'm happy with the way the AO is calculated (minus the roof)
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suspected the edges aren't soft enough, when took a closer look I saw seams in normal map. Couldn't get it right on the door so I did a simple cube to see what's wrong. Here's a cube with hard edges and split UVs, I'm still getting these seams in the normal map. Tried baking in both Max and Painter but no avail, the seams are there whether I use a cage or not. Any ideas?

• Bumblebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumblebee polycounter lvl 3
    hey dude,

watch this, he literayll covers the issue you have :) Looking forward to the final scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGszEIT4Kww

• Menchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Menchen polycounter lvl 3
    Looks promising, waiting for the final result! 
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumblebee, Seems like I'm doing it right but the seams are not entirely avoidable: http://polycount.com/discussion/108882/baking-normal-map-problem
    But thanks for the video. :)

• Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Usually this issue is because you don't have enough padding between uv islands so when you bake there's some bleeding that's occurring. Since it's happening in painter and max and you tried with a cage and got the same results, that's where I think the issue is stemming from.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using 12 pixels for padding here but there's not much of a difference.

Anyways, second door.

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,

The constant back and fourth of adding edge loops to HP, going back about 3 meters to see how the edge looks, zooming in again and making changes is all really counter productive for me. Does anyone have a solution to make the process faster and more consistent? Like I know how soft I want x edge to be but since there's no sense of scale when adding the edge loops it usually doesn't end up looking as soft/hard as I want from player view.

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished with all doorway variations, using custom vertex normals and proper lightmaps.

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you considered using Opensubdiv and crease sets for the high poly? Basically does what you're asking for with just changing 1 variable.

Crease sets still require edge looping for certain applications but it's a very fast way of getting results.

Best way to do it is add an edge loop for you MAXIMUM chamfer, then increase the crease to your liking.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uniform subdivision adds tons of geo to the models in opposite to edge loops where you're adding more geo to near edges only by adding edge loops. My PC has a weak heart not being able to handle too much polycount when it comes to models bigger and more complex than a cube. I bought TurboSmooth Pro as well but same issue, too much geo.

I'm currently dealing with my lighting setup. I'm using spot lights with intensity set to 20,000 with inverse square enabled and a distance about 800. Baking at production quality with 100 bounces. Results are pretty far from real life where a few high bay lights would illuminate the entire space of this scale. I'm not sure what I should do to get more illumination.

Any ideas?

Expected illumination:

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I'd just stack point lights under your spot lights; set the radius to something really big and play with intensity till you feel happy with it. 
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd just stack point lights under your spot lights; set the radius to something really big and play with intensity till you feel happy with it. 
    Is that generally what people do? Like there's no way to be physically correct/getting the same amount of illumination without faking it with lights other than lamps themselves?
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that generally what people do? Like there's no way to be physically correct/getting the same amount of illumination without faking it with lights other than lamps themselves?
    That's not what people usually do. In archviz I believe people use a skylight to help with correcting the GI. Basically the reason the scene looks like this is because UE4 sucks at default Global Illumination and Indirect Lighting.

https://ue4arch.com/ue4archs-unreal-engine-4-lighting-workflow-part-1/

It seems most people use a skylight for GI and then tweak the light settings both in engine and in the source files.

also:

http://rag3dviz.com/ue4/basic-interior-in-unreal-engine-4-12/

This confirms. Light source, Skylight and Post Process Volume with massively tweaked settings. Still trying to wrap my own head around it.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn said:
    That's not what people usually do. In archviz I believe people use a skylight to help with correcting the GI. Basically the reason the scene looks like this is because UE4 sucks at default Global Illumination and Indirect Lighting.

https://ue4arch.com/ue4archs-unreal-engine-4-lighting-workflow-part-1/

It seems most people use a skylight for GI and then tweak the light settings both in engine and in the source files.

also:

http://rag3dviz.com/ue4/basic-interior-in-unreal-engine-4-12/

This confirms. Light source, Skylight and Post Process Volume with massively tweaked settings. Still trying to wrap my own head around it.
    I read the UE4Arch article but having a hard time applying that workflow to my environment.

"Therefore, using the skylight to lit the scene, we will have a standard intensity of the natural light (sky light) in all open spaces(doors, windows, etc). If any of your indoors is too dark, we simply use the method from real life … Open your windows, doors and turn on the lights."

But in my case a skylight wouldn't work since there's no open holes for the light to come through.

Same goes for Rag3DViz, t
    hey also rely a lot on windows, doors and generally open holes too, while my area is completely closed.

I spent the last 30 mins going through Epic's Subway example content (Matinee and Reflections subway) but... the lighting there is not correct at all.

Played a lot of lightmass settings both in editor and .ini file. While tweaks result in higher shadow quality in return of significantly increased built times, it still does not increase the illumination.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I figured it out. Using the technique that the first article said wouldn't work.

Get a post processing volume and make it fill the room. Then go down to the Ambient Cubemap in the settings and apply a cubemap
     (I applied the default). Tweak as needed.

It gives a lot of flexibility allowing for intensity and tint:

You could in theory create a cubemap with a superior rendering software (like VRAY) then use that cubemap in your actual scene to get the exact ambient lighting. although I think just playing around with the settings will be enough.

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "So in an environment that is not adequately illuminated the ideal balance is always with the artificial and natural lighting, it will not be practical to use a PostProcessVolume to balance the exposure for each specific environment."

they say it's not practical but in scenes where you only have 1 or 2 open spaces... why not?
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn said:
    Okay I figured it out. Using the technique that the first article said wouldn't work.

Get a post processing volume and make it fill the room. Then go down to the Ambient Cubemap in the settings and apply a cubemap
     (I applied the default). Tweak as needed.

It gives a lot of flexibility allowing for intensity and tint:

You could in theory create a cubemap with a superior rendering software (like VRAY) then use that cubemap in your actual scene to get the exact ambient lighting. although I think just playing around with the settings will be enough.

Since I don't have the environment finished already I can't generate a cubemap out of it. :p and any other cubemap I use will look off/not correct. And exaggerated example can be what you have posted, blue walls and green ceiling while you have nothing in the scene corresponding to those colors. Otherwise yeah that could help if I had a cubemap of the finalized environment.

However, one thing I can do is to find an environment with the kind of lighting/dressing I have in mind and create a temporary cubemap out of that, but still not as correct as it should be.

I'll give a shot and post my results.
    Thanks.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    You may want to start with a locked tonemapper with no adaptation and match a mid-grey card.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's very true, it has better applications for VRAY to Unreal because you will already have the scene to create a cubemap.
  • Maximum-Dev
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure why they haven't corrected the Iray tangent yet.
    Tuned my substance, I think it makes sense to also have more dust on top of it. What do you think? Might be too much.

• undin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    undin polycounter lvl 2
    Hey, I just recently decided I want to be an environment artist,
    this stuff is all really interesting to me, I will be lurking and watching
    progression. :)
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    I like how in depth this thread is, enjoying watching the progress. Your landscapes are always beautiful, so I'll definitely be following this thread! 
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're going to have post your process for models.. They look ridiculous!
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn said:
    I think you're going to have post your process for models.. They look ridiculous!
    ridiculous good or ridiculous bad? =s
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn said:
    ridiculous good or ridiculous bad? =s
    GOOD! my bad haha.

They're definitely more "game prop" than viz but I would really appreciate a quick run down of your process.
  • Maximum-Dev
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasn't happy with 3cm chamfers, new column with 1cm chamfer + custom vertex normals + mesh decals for edge damages and bottom stuff.
    Edges probably need some larger damages.
    Applying the same 1cm chamfer to other pieces as well.

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needed some proper materials so I could judge the lighting. Best idea was to throw in a car.
    Car mesh by Chidi Mbadugha + Epic's Automotive Materials.

I don't like it how below the car is totally black. Anyone know how to get some light bounce down there?
    Also reflections below the tires are killing me. Caused by sphere capture.

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You still haven't fundamentally solved your GI problems. 
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    dat wall looks great dude!  is it just a concrete\plaster material and bunch of grunge decal and damage decal on the edges and at the bottom?
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn said:
    You still haven't fundamentally solved your GI problems. 
    The new setup is a lot more satisfying for me, but yeah I'm still tweaking and discovering better setups. :)

Tzur_H, All walls and columns share a tileable material. I have created a trim for wall edge damages and a trim for bottom dirts.
  • Maximum-Dev
  • LorasTyrell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LorasTyrell polycounter lvl 5
    :open_mouth: that wall texture is beautiful, is it all substance designer? Unwanted reflections should be countered by adding a specular map to the car, does it have one? Alternatively roughness all the way up maybe.

Usually when I want to lighten shadows in Unreal I use a low intensity sky light, but again it's a problem that is a part of the global illumination issues. 

Also when adding scratches, dirt etc to objects keep in mind how people and vehicles interact with them. Dust on the lamps makes sense, but there isn't a lot of situations that would scratch them severely. It's a part of environmental storytelling. Like on your stair you could add some more wear in the ares where people would step :) 
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    What a helpful thread!