Offline / Send Message
VanLogan polycounter lvl 6
Here's the beginning of my next project. I would love any feedback 

Replies

• JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    For me it don´t feel like a goblin in the classical apearance but it transports a really great creepiness fitting for a bad spirit or other folklore figure who becomes a haunting if you anger him. I like the shape of the whole head but could need a little more definition of the skull itself. Now it looks like the eyes etc. are painted on the surface instead of being inside. The skin and wrinkles looks pretty cool!
  • Ren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ren polycounter lvl 3
    Great start, I would say make everything recede or thrust out more to give it more contrast. Everything feels to soft, except the teeth those puppies really stick out! (Which in my opinion is a good thing!)
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Love the head design, unfortunately i dont feel the body matches it.
    he looks really tall, and i feel the body proportions are generally to human for a head like that
  • VanLogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JHS Thank you for the feedback, I see what you are talking about with the skull. I tired to do a quick pass at sculpting the skull that would be underneath and ended up changing the check forms around the eyes and the lower jaw. I guess I wasn't worried about it looking like a goblin in the classical appearance, just that it was a humanoid creature that was visually interesting. 

@Ren and @lotet thank you for the feedback as soon as you mentioned that the body proportions looked to human that was all I could see. Here is a first pass at those changes. I'll continue to push the forms of bone eminences and other aspects as well to increase the contrast of the forms. 
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    good update, I feel you could  push the hip area a bit more, verall looks super skinny, but the anatomy itself is reading like normal or almost chubby at places. I think somehing like this could really benefit the design.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Hes smile is overpowering actually there is no place for most of his facial muscle because of it 
    Also eyes/nose look flat to me ,not really functional
    Post a side view please 

• VanLogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet Thank you for the reference. I've tried to push the hips more in this round of things. 
    @carvuliero Thank you very much for the paint over. I  tried out a few variations to see what things might look like if the head/ skull was built differently, I am finding that I am still drawn the most to the first one. Also here is a side view of the head. 
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Maybe if you push ears back "1" can still work 
  • VanLogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tucked the ears back, got rid of the fatty forms, re-topo and uved and have started texturing. 
  • VanLogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Texture update. Trying to add in more variation and visual interest. 
  • VanLogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a first pass at some armor ideas 
  • Redczech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redczech polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work! That's definitely the kind of creature you don't want swarming you. I like the armor design so far but think it could be a bit more asymmetrical, but of course, it depends if this particular breed has a sense of what is beautiful. I guess I imagine he could could take equal glee in wearing a really nice human face as much as something stitched and well thought out.

Maybe someone else is making armor for them, but are goblins really worth the effort. They breed in such numbers and are kind of fodder.

I guess those are the sort of questions to ask when thinking through a design. The texture looks really great btw and I'm looking forward to the next update.
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Don´t sway from your design, just because the term "goblin" intrudes the clichee look of a small orc seen a 1000 times...

I see this creature more of a natural living animal, so clothing maybe shouldn´t looked too processed or advanced (no metalurgy). Maybe natural fabrics like pelts and basic skins would fit better instead of an armor. The look fits a chaotic more than a cultured species.
  • oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oreoorbitz polycounter lvl 9
    Hi. Like the design and sculpt. good job starting the texture. Im still learning to texture, so take what I say with a grain of salt

So the way I have been taught to texture is when ever I put some new information on a texture, is to ask myself why its there. Is it a evolutionary trait, adaption to the environment, or sexual selection? Or is a result of the subjects environment, a scar, weathering, sun burnt. 

Then I also do the opposite, if I add an element I think should be there based on logic, I always see how I can make it more attractive

So, this guy doesn't bath right, so he would be grimy, his hands and feet, but also the areas where he sweats, the dirt in the air would stick to him.  How thick is is his skin? this important, thicker means more wrinkles, less sun damage.  Look at this image hear of a xolocuintle

The areas where the skin is taught, is more spotty then the loose and wrinkly skin.

How old is he, is he a warrior, a laborer or does he work in the goblin offices?
    Look at this here old pig, see how her skin is spotty from the sun damage?

Think about adding more hues, in areas with thick wrinkly skin, add big  but subtle swaths of hues.
    This guy is good reference for all that I'm talking about:

See how is underbelly is all soft and pink, but his back is darker? I'm not actually sure its thick then his underside, but it is more exposed to sun. Note the dirt and the different subtle hues in his skin.

Lastly, be sure to think about scars and stretch marks. Think about adding little scars gathered from mucking about in the forrest, or bigger
    ones from serious injuries.
  • VanLogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for the awesome feedback! Here is an update with the armor/gear blocked out.
    @Redczech Thank you for your feedback on the armor. I've made it a bit more asymmetrical in the block out and have tried to make it look like various found scraps of armor, cloth and pelts that have been slapped together. 
    @JHS I completely agree with your comment. I was envisioning this creature as a scavenger that would cobble things together from found objects. I've kept it to mostly natural materials and only have two metal bits (To add contrasting materials) that I would see as stolen from somewhere, like a wrought iron hinge for the belt. 
    @oreoorbitz I love your feedback for the skin and textures! I've only quickly done a pass of scars, sunspots, and some subtle hue shifts, I will certainly try to push everything further once I get back into texture mode and the gear is at the same stage as the body.