Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Citroen H-Van

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
ZombieDawgs polycounter
Yo I'm making a Citroen H-Van and I really wanted to push this further than it is so some of the famous polycount crit would be awesome.

Anyway here's where it's at;

These are old images, the project was updated a year later :)

Wires
Maps

I'm trying to think of a design or a scene to put it in; at the minute I can only think of a pink hippie van with white flowers and stuff as the paint job.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    This looks great so far!

First thing I noticed the front side window has no texture. If you don't want to create an interior, then create some glass details similar to how you did the windshield.

Front bumper looks free-floating. Needs to be connected to the undercarriage somehow. Check your reference.

Wheels and hubcaps seem abnormally clean compared to the wear and tear on the body. Dirty those tires, and the hubs too.

The wheels look like they are not connected to the body, based on the gaps near the hubs. Disc brakes and shock absorbers should be there.

Back window seems too clean, devoid of texture.

In your current presentation, the shading under the truck is non-existent, so it looks like there are no wheels on the other side. Needs a big soft shadow under the truck. SSAO alone is not enough.

Textures look all blurry and seem to lack detail. Also the glass shouldn't be 100% white, the dirt should mask some of the gloss/metalness.

As for a scene, you could put it on a simple round pedestal with pavement and a sidewalk. Just make sure it's the same amount of dilapidation, like it's parked in a well-worn industrial neighborhood.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. It's a great start, and could really shine with a bit more love.
  • purplekami
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    Eric made some great points, a couple other things is that the door handles are non-existent as it looks right now. The grime looks as though it's just a constant pass throughout the whole vehicle, whereas in actuality it would build up from the bottom. The buildup on the windshield is very defined, I think there should be slight blending of the clean and dirty parts. I think these  changes would help bring it a long way.
    Hope it helps, keep posting pictures!
  • ZombieDawgs
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    Hello! I know this thread is over a year old now but I honestly had never forgotten about it. It's just one of those projects that's always been at the back of my mind, waiting to be collected and touched up.

I rebaked and retextured the majority of it dropping the tri count from 9000 to 2500. I hope the new texture is sufficiently better as well. I Added a little style to the whole thing too.

• Eric Chadwick
  • ZombieDawgs
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    Nice job!
    Thank you, for the frontage as well :)

I have nothing else to do in the meantime, so I shaved another thousand off the polycount.

• jewski-bot
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    This is really some superb texturing! I've got to ask, how are you getting clean normal map bakes without using chamfered edges for those hard edges that are beyond 90 degree angles? Are you doing the double bake method with merging averaged normals with non-averaged normals and then mixing the two?
  • ZombieDawgs
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    This is really some superb texturing! I've got to ask, how are you getting clean normal map bakes without using chamfered edges for those hard edges that are beyond 90 degree angles? Are you doing the double bake method with merging averaged normals with non-averaged normals and then mixing the two?
    I'm just baking it straight out with painter, there's not any fancy tricks I'm pulling with it other than hardening my UV borders.

In any other situation I try to make my edges a touch under 90 degrees. 
  • ActionDawg
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Zombie was gracious enough to lend me his lovey Citroen to turn into hot chunky pixels :)

• jewski-bot
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    I'm just baking it straight out with painter, there's not any fancy tricks I'm pulling with it other than hardening my UV borders.

In any other situation I try to make my edges a touch under 90 degrees. 
    Aren't you getting seams regardless if you harden the edges with UV borders or not?  I know I am.  I mean, I have to really zoom in close to see them clearly, but they are there.  I do have each UV island separated appropriately, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.