Home General Discussion

Vertex Magazine Print

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ichase polycounter lvl 4
I am looking for people who have printed the vertex magazines out. There are 2 editions to date and I would like to print both of them, until the end of the month http://blurb.com has a 30-something % off your order and I spoke with the facebook page (art by papercut) and he said he had heard of people using blurb before, but he doesn't have their contact information. now the magazine option [on blurb.com] takes the 8.5x11 pdf but only supports 240 pages, they also don't show an option for front and back. even if i select 150 pages and then try to upload it, it says my pdf contains 300 pages. Then when i try to go to the book option they only have 8x10 which wont work.

Now I am a noob to all forum life and am terrible at searching for anything, so this may already be a thread. But I am specifically looking for a higher quality print than going to staples and having them whole punch or wring bind it, This isn't just a magazine it is a resource and I would like to have a tangible copy to have a disconnect from my computer when reading or referencing it.

Replies

• SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i would just contact them directly and ask.

i thought about printing it when they were released and even looked up some options, but it was pretty expensive for single copies (to be fair, if i print this, i want it to be on par with common paperback artbooks, quality wise)
    it would get a lot cheaper if you order 10 or more copies

edit :

just checked out blurb
    didnt try to upload anything, just checked the prices
    45$ for one book isnt that pricy, does onyone have experience with blurb ?
    i would like to kniow about the quality
  • ichase
    Offline / Send Message
    ichase polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah I did ask them but they are rather slow, so I am just opening up option for anyone who has printed it before :) i could see going in together on that many copies with people, I am sure there are many who want a hard copy.

Edit in reply to your edit : I did get everything uploaded and with economy color it was 22 dollars for a 150 page magazine, now I am unsure if that is front and back though and that is what i asked them, as well as if they have had customers print this magazine before -- possibly to use that same format or something.

**EDIT** i asked blurb and they automatically set up for front to back printing for their books and magazines and the PDF needs to be formatted in a way to show front and back, they have a guide to do that but vertex is password protected and cannot be edited in this way.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I'd love to own a hard copy! As long as it's not outrageously expensive.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    just checked out blurb
    didnt try to upload anything, just checked the prices
    45$ for one book isnt that pricy, does onyone have experience with blurb ?
    i would like to kniow about the quality

I bought an artbook from this artist via Blurb : http://www.gric.at/gallery/gallery.htm

The quality is great ! The cover si protected (but it's not an hard cover) and the print is very clean. The end result is really good. (I don't like the smell however.)
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Joost wrote: »
    I'd love to own a hard copy! As long as it's not outrageously expensive.

Same here. It'd be nice to be able to get all 3 at the same time too. But I don't think the 3rd edition has a date yet?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    FYI, the artwork and workflows in Vertex magazine, and the magazine itself, are copyrighted material of the artists, Ryan Hawkins (mag creator) and the respective studios that the artist works for, under the creative commons license (among others).

In order to sell copies of Vertex, you would need permission from Ryan, the artists, and potentially the studios they work for.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Vertex is made by one person and is text edited by another person so outside the artists who contribute there really isn't much of a "team" that can give you the much needed attention I guess you need. I answered your messages on Facebook that you the user can print the books yourself but once you group up and print them it becomes something different and the studios and artists then need to be paid. As for finding a place to do it or what not that is on you, I have seen around 10 printed versions of the books and the users all found a way to magically get them printed without us helping them.
  • ichase
    Offline / Send Message
    ichase polycounter lvl 4
    I wasn't saying selling them, I was saying buying a print for yourself, i would never intend to sell them, i literally just want a copy for myself, if there was confusion in what i said about going in on them, it was only to buy the printed version for said person, buying the print for the cost of the print with no profit.... like i said for a disconnect from the computer and to take and read on the couch while chilling with the family. and thank you Ryan for responding to me on FB, i made this post after you responded to me to see if i could find any of those people who made those 10 people who made the printed versions to see how they magically were able to make them through blurb or anything else.
  • ichase
    Offline / Send Message
    ichase polycounter lvl 4
    leleuxart wrote: »
    Same here. It'd be nice to be able to get all 3 at the same time too. But I don't think the 3rd edition has a date yet?

Ryan is currently working on it and i have not seen a date, but will def. add it to the queue once i find out how to get a nice copy printed. :) and once I find out how, or figure out for myself how i will let this thread know.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    so ryan there is now way to just bulk print and sell at cost than? Without that effecting how people must be compensated?
  • ichase
    Offline / Send Message
    ichase polycounter lvl 4
    passerby, i Don't intend this thread to become a question for ryan, he stated he and the parties involved making this cannot print them, and as far as this thread is concerned we are strictly trying to figure out how some people printed them for themselves only, we do not want to upset any entities who created this, and get into anything legally speaking. I mentioned grouping up to purchase the magazine print and that raised hairs as it was, i explained i meant for cost only and it is still a possibility that there may be issue there. so as of right now, we know they cannot print them period, group prints are not allowed.
  • ichase
    Offline / Send Message
    ichase polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Everyone! I just wanted to throw in an update. I got a book printed!! and the quality is AMAZING. I finally found a site that did it, and that did it well. Peecho (https://www.peecho.com/) printed it from the standard PDF that you download from Art by Papercut. Prepare yourself, it is 46 bucks per book - which is an investment but it is seriously worth every penny they do a GREAT job. I'll come back later with pictures!
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Curious why you wanted it printed seems backward to me - if you wanted to read it on the toilet so bad get an ipad :)
    I hate reading on anything that gives off blue light, if I can avoid it. ipads, smartphones, and computers are great for reading short stuff, but for something like this, I can definitely see the value in printing it. Really sitting down with it, and reading and looking.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    yeah, while search and bookmark functions of the gadgets are appreciated, for proper reading nothing beats a dead tree for me either.
    it's not just the screen or the format to me but also that jumpy scrolling can be highly annoying to deal with. reading PDFs at least is no fun to me.

curious to see how the print turned out.