Home Career & Education

Question about video game industry

Luisiana
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Luisiana polycounter lvl 2
Hello everybody,

I am currently in the process of getting to know about video games industry because I'm interested in becoming a 3D modeler for video games, still there are some questions I would like to get answered from experienced people who could guide me or explain things more clearly about this industry before taking steps further.

I loved to play Super Mario 64, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjoo Kazooe, Sonic, Legend of Zelda, Harvest Moon, Super Smash, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia, Space Channel 5... you can see the titles above could be within fantasy style, they are mainly targeted to children/ teenage public or for everyone, right?  I would like to work with these kind of games as a 3D character artist (I already started practicing some modeling in Blender). However, nowadays I see most companies are producing 3D games with violent content, which is not my style at all and I don't see myself creating these kind of games, so...

Questions:

- I know the titles above come from Nintendo and Sega, but are these the only companies who produces these kind of games (teenage genre)? if you can mention other companies then I would like to know them, or at least if there's a website to look for these companies, how can I find them on the internet? (I'm not in the US).

- Will it be difficult to make it as a 3D character artist only targeting an specific genre of game?  or is it necessary to be versatile (being able to work in different genres of games) to survive in this industry?

- How is the video game industry currently? is it stable enough to work in?  is it growing every year? do violent games sell more than teenage games?

Any answer or information will be appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @valuemeal  Morris, where are you?  Get your butt inside here, you have questions to answer, bruv.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    1) No, there are other companies producing similar aesthetic content. Double Fine, Insomniac, Playful Corps, Niantic, etc.  They're all companies not popularly known by themselves, but they're there.  And these are mostly just American.

2) Yes if ALL your content is just that.  You will be attractive to only several types of studios. Understandably, Treyarch would recognize good art, but it wouldn't be germane to their needs.

3) It's not stable for individuals, or at least ALL individuals.  It's stable as a whole; it's pulling in more money that the movie industry, and growing.  Regarding violent videogames selling more, I would agree they are.  But here's a google link:
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GIWA_enUS570US570&q=Do+violent+video+games+sell+more&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiqla_-5YXWAhVLy1QKHdNNB6MQvwUIJCgA&biw=1706&bih=880

• valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    I am not sure if I am the best fellow to ask.
    I haven't been having the best luck as of late and don't feel as though I am the guy for guiding new dudes as I am currently in a pickle.

Despite what has been occurring for me, don't let fellows discourage you; much of getting the correct position is being at the right at the right time and knowing fellows who work at said places. 

1.My advice is to basically make low poly fellows and go from there. 2k-12k range characters). 
    I was originally a fellow who worked at a vfx house that made mascots with high polycounts and not so much texture work, I had trouble finding work once it shut down; but once I started making low poly fellows that were hand painted  things started occurring again. 

2.Also trying applying to mobile studios;
     albeit they are shaky, they tend to hire fellows who make more "teen games" as you put it.

3. Go to major networking events like GDC and attend secret parties. 
    Seriously, this event has helped me quite a bit in the past and it could help you soon as well.

4. Make sure your computer is update, 
    Having an out of date graphics card can seriously hinder your work; it happened to me in the past. 

5. Draw fellows; many places that make "teen games" require you to draw as well; never be caught off guard. 
    Also do many silhouette studies. ( A wise fellow once told me that) 

6. Sometimes things don't work out. 
    But you have to keep pressing on you know. 

7. Don't use blender.

8. You could also try targeting children's shows as well,  that was my first job believe it or not.

Brian "Panda" Choi 
    Something else I have noticed, it's a two way street.  You mentioned that Treyarch would see that sort of art as not meeting their needs; but from my experience while at least getting to the interviewing stage with major places who are more "teen" they are not at all interested in what realistic places are dedicated to.

For example one studio told me that a certain piece that I made was the key reason they were interviewing me; earlier that year some tough guys told me to take it off and make more realistic fellows.

It's all about knowing your audience. 

Also many of the fellows who make such things post on tumblr for some reason, I am not sure, but this poligonal site  seems to attract more tough guys for some reason. 
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    valuemeal said:

7. Don't use blender.

Blender's fine. It's gaining ground lately, and is quite capable. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if you can model well in blender, you can probably model just fine in max or maya, after playing around in it for a couple of weeks. Blender is great if you want to learn how it all works without investing lots of many, or illegally downloading something.

As for violent games— I actually think violent games are losing ground. Indie studios, and even some bigger studios, inspired by the success of games like Journey, Abzu, What Remains of Edith Finch, Dear Esther, Gone Home, Life is Strange, etc, have started to branch out into less conventional game types.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Joopson 
    A fellow once told me that program was out of sorts. 
    But I could be wrong. It just seems as though the major places used the maya or max program more often, so it would be wise to be acquainted with them.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Blender is still pretty good. I used it a long time ago. If I was never introduced to Maya or Max, I would've definitely use that early on.
  • Luisiana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luisiana polycounter lvl 2
    Hello @Brian "Panda" Choi @valuemeal @Joopson @garcellano

I am very thankful to all of your answers, the information you have given to me will help me to make my decision.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me, I wish you the best!