Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Here there be trolls!

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    haven't checked this thread in a while, its looking good for sure!
    I do feel like there should be more grass though.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    lotet said:
    haven't checked this thread in a while, its looking good for sure!
    I do feel like there should be more grass though.
    You are right, there is alot of grass there but its small so it gets lost in the noise, I increased the size of it so it pops better :)

Plugging away at this still, tweaking lighting and Post Process, trying to find the right balance of realism and fantasy :P

Dediced not to add any more assets to this scene in particular. Gonna finalize lighting and call it done soon.
    So if you have feedback, now is the time! :D

Including a Lighting only and Albedo shot for those interested.

• Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Looks awesome man.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray said:
    Looks awesome man.
    Thank you! :)

Did a quick test of a sunset/sunrise setting, turned out quite alright if I may say so myself :)

• dovahkiin009087
    Offline / Send Message
    dovahkiin009087 polycounter lvl 5
    May just be my opinion, but the afternoon/sunset shot looks really foggy, and maybe a little to orange. Maybe put a little more yellow into it, and tone down the fog some? 
    Great work though! I love that its all Iphone 7 Plus shots at the moment. Really impressive. 

[mod edit]: rescued from your double-quote prison.
  • Sebvhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    You definitely do not need to add any more assets, you nailed the density and placement!

But I'm still concerned by the overall colors of the scene. It always seems like it's under a thin veil, of green (yellow in that sunset shot)
    It could be due to the Albedos, or to the GI but I think fixing it will greatly increase the overall look.
    Simply bringing the blues back with a level adjustments did a lot. Maybe you could get away with just a LookUp Table.

Hopefully these quick paintovers will help you understand what I mean

• dovahkiin009087
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with @Sebvhe, just adjust your post process settings a bit and then you will be golden.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe said:
    You definitely do not need to add any more assets, you nailed the density and placement!

But I'm still concerned by the overall colors of the scene. It always seems like it's under a thin veil, of green (yellow in that sunset shot)
    It could be due to the Albedos, or to the GI but I think fixing it will greatly increase the overall look.
    Simply bringing the blues back with a level adjustments did a lot. Maybe you could get away with just a LookUp Table.

Hopefully these quick paintovers will help you understand what I mean

You know, its funny how color blind you get when working on something alone for an extended amount of time. I didn't even think about the greenish tint before you pointed it out. But now it's so damn obvious haha :) It is indeed coming from the ghetto-GI that is LPV, you can see it clearly in the lighting shot above. Turning it of is not an option so I will just tweak some post values and wrap it up this weekend and post all the shots I have :) Great feedback, thank you!

Included one of my ref photos in the corner as a color check and I am feeling pretty happy about how this is looking now :)

• PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    So these are the final shots that I decided on, they are not perfect but they each have something that I liked and decided to keep :) 
    Could keep on tweaking forever but at some point you just have to say "when in rome" :P 
    Moving on to the next scene, which I think will be a sunset/sunrise.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Wv1ZJ

[Warning for lots of big images.]

• dovahkiin009087
    Offline / Send Message
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful
    Thank you :)
  • Tetranome
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    This is beautiful! Really want to get into Photogrammetry. I currently take a bunch of pictures with my Canon and use Bitmap2Material to create textures, but willing to take the next step now.
    What software packages are you using?
    Cheers :)
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome said:
    This is beautiful! Really want to get into Photogrammetry. I currently take a bunch of pictures with my Canon and use Bitmap2Material to create textures, but willing to take the next step now.
    What software packages are you using?
    Cheers :)

Capture Reality for the Photogrammetry processing, you can rent it monthly on Steam, so worth it! :)

Other than that i use Substance Painter and Designer for clean up and delighting.

Cheers!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Nice work!
    those last renders turned out really well, congratulations on finishing.
  • ilari
    Offline / Send Message
    ilari polycounter lvl 3
    So authentic, excellent work! 
  • Slater_VI
    I'm really impressed with your work. It looks very cool.
    if it is not hard for you, I would really like to know how you created the trees.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet said:
    Nice work!
    ilari said:

Slater_VI said:
    if it is not hard for you, I would really like to know how you created the trees.
    Thank you! Which one of the trees? :) I'm sure I can write a short summary :)
  • Slater_VI
    PixelGoat said:
    lotet said:
    Nice work!
    ilari said:

Slater_VI said:
    Thank you! Which one of the trees? :) I'm sure I can write a short summary :)
    Рlease describe the creation of the fir-tree and how to work with the textures of this tree.

Thanks!