Home General Discussion

Drwaing in 3D magic

Have you guys been following how some people have been using the capabilities of 3D drawing (VR) to create 3D models?

Here is a video of Jama Jurabaev drawing a skull and rendering it in 3D afterwards, there was also a guy on facebook who made a full tank, and the result was surprisingly accurate for a drawing, they are both using a software called Gravity Sketch, that apparently its  not a sculpting package like zbrush, you are actually using brush strokes to build the form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VedX6PfZxes

Now all we need is money to afford a VR kit and actual artistic skills.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I have somewhat.  It's cool.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    One of my dream tools for modeling has always been wanting the ability to draw any object I like by hand, and software would instantly rasterize it into a 3D model.

The time I would save being able to draw individual screws for hardsurface props would be phenominal. Or one of my current struggles is taking drawings of cartoon characters and getting them to read in 3D while staying stylized.

I look forward to more VR innovations.  
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Definitively cool. Drawing in 3D in actual production might just be a few steps away now. We only need the right tools.
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    As far as I can see he's still building the mesh itself manually from polygons, using his sketch as a guide.
  • rohMizuno
    well, if the polygons he is pushing can snap to the draw, its just a matter of time till someone add some type of zremesher for those software, what for a concept artist and more than good enough already.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I've been watching Jama's vids and other peoples. While they are awesome and I love the stuff he and others do. The timelapsed videos make it look very easy. I've tried a few VR packages (Tilt brush, Quill, Medium, etc) and its quite the workout hold my arms up and having a big headset on. And nothing we seen here cant be done in Zbrush, 3D coat or other 3d software and the tools are so much more advanced.

I do like being able to rotate around the model and get a sense of scale, I also like having a "physical" palette and tool in VR space. its surprisingly intuitive.

The real benefit from this kind of thing is for environment work. Its a great way to show of a space. i dont think this was done with VR. Just 3D coat maybe, same kind of result though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltvFNwJ58qU

At the moment its still a bit gimmicky but there is definitely a place for it. Give it a few years, get the headset tech down in size. Put ZBrush in VR and we'll all be sat at our desks using it. There will be no need for a cintiq before long.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it. Is there any software that allows you to sketch out lines in 3d space? maybe that's the thing that VR does that other software cant. I'll have to see if i can do this in Zbrush. Sketching the construction lines and refining is quite a powerful tool actually and makes it much more free form. I hate getting bogged down in traditional 3d workflow. i'll have to get back to using the VR at work and give it another go.