Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Wip] - Drip Sand for game

cazetta
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
cazetta vertex
Hi guys, my name is Samuel and I'm working in a small and very cool indie gamedev. We recently started a new project for steam and I'm one of the 3D artists there. I'm a very beginner artist so I need some help from the pros XD

I kinda need to model 'drip sand' themed things in a stylized way, but I have no idea how to do so =(

Here's the best attempt until now:

And here's the reference:

The stylized motif would be something around Darksiders or Heroes of the Storm. This drop sand structures would be around in very different ways, like on cliffs, sticky stones etc. Any light for me? *__* 

Replies

• Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    I think youre on the right track but you are making some lumps that dont seem to be as influenced by gravity as others. In the reference image, you see a lot more bulbous forms that are melting on top of each other. In yours there are some lumps that are not laying on top of another lump. Id try to add more inflation to your forms and have every lump look as though its resting on top of another one.
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    "The stylized motif would be something around Darksiders or Heroes of the Storm. "

Just let me say... ugh. This has been the same "Stylization" for over a decade now, there are so many games that go for this exact motif. Maybe the best looking game of last year was Inside, and it had a completely different and unique take on stylized visuals that didn't look like "let's just copy Blizzard for the Nth time!" Maybe not what you want to hear but if I can criticize anyone for yet another implementation of that style I will.
  • cazetta
    Offline / Send Message
    cazetta vertex
    I think youre on the right track but you are making some lumps that dont seem to be as influenced by gravity as others. In the reference image, you see a lot more bulbous forms that are melting on top of each other. In yours there are some lumps that are not laying on top of another lump. Id try to add more inflation to your forms and have every lump look as though its resting on top of another one.
    Hmm, thanks, I'll try it =)

"The stylized motif would be something around Darksiders or Heroes of the Storm. "

Just let me say... ugh. This has been the same "Stylization" for over a decade now, there are so many games that go for this exact motif. Maybe the best looking game of last year was Inside, and it had a completely different and unique take on stylized visuals that didn't look like "let's just copy Blizzard for the Nth time!" Maybe not what you want to hear but if I can criticize anyone for yet another implementation of that style I will.
    Not at all. I'm not responsible for the style, I'm just doing the meshes haha.
  • cazetta
    Offline / Send Message
    cazetta vertex
  • cazetta
    Offline / Send Message
    cazetta vertex
    Update, some more studies

• Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    Those are looking a lot better. Especially the latest ones.
  • cazetta
    Offline / Send Message
    cazetta vertex
    Those are looking a lot better. Especially the latest ones.
    Thanks man!!!