Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique my work?

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I have no critique. Your work is amazing. I love the pictures with the animals so much. Do you have an ArtStation account to follow?

PS Throw a signature onto your images. People (like me) will download stuff like this as a wallpaper and then a year down the road I'll forget your name, and how to contact you if I wanted to.
  • Ben_Kaiser
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Kaiser vertex
    Thanks! Yeah Ill start doing a signature or water mark type thing.  I do have an art station, but its not used.  I can start posting on it if you think my works really worth it.
  • CrackRockSteady
    A lot of your work seems rather abstract and without any context beyond the images you are posting it is difficult to provide a decent critique.  

Big things to start with:

- Most of the work looks half finished.  Nothing is textured, some models look half complete.  Again, without more context it is hard to say.

- Character anatomy needs a lot of work.  I'm not a character artist, I'm sure others can provide better feedback.

- What are your goals with your work?  Defining what your goals are will help people here provide meaningful feedback and point you in the right direction for what to work on and where to find learning resources.

@Ashervisalis i could be wrong but it seems like you are just being snarky and I kind of have to wonder...why
  • Ben_Kaiser
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Kaiser vertex
    @CrackRockSteady  I get what your saying about the renders looking unfinished.  Most of them didn't have mush work put into it, I was just trying to show the model not focusing on lighting and all that.   And yes I do need major work on anatomy.  I haven't been modeling for long, and i'm really just starting to get real in depth with things.  My goals are in game design and development.  I will eventually want my own company.  I know i'm not the strongest modeler , but i'm working on it.  And I have great knowledge of design.  (just dose not show much in these renders..)  I know whats wrong with everything,  but i'm hard on my self so I wanted to see what others had to say.  Thanks for the feed back.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    @CrackRockSteady I'm being legit :) Ben's work made me laugh a few times and the simple low poly environments look really cool! I think Ben's got a cool art style going that he should definitely hold onto. All the animals made me laugh really hard, and the temple and castle environments look super neat.
  • MagosDomina
    Offline / Send Message
    MagosDomina vertex
    Adding texture would ruin the appeal of the art. Just my 2 cents.
  • MartinTK
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinTK polycounter lvl 4
    @CrackRockSteady My goals are in game design and development.  

If your goals are more game design focused its kinda hard to critique your work as just models or environments because as a game designer those aren't really as important than the congruent aesthetic of the whole game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQvWMdWhFCc
    This is kinda a basic overview of game design
     I was just trying to show the model not focusing on lighting and all that.   

If your goal was to make game models I would suggest focusing on the major forms and plains of the body

This way whether you're working with low poly characters or realistic ones they wont come off as strange. What program are you currently using for modeling?
  • Ben_Kaiser
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Kaiser vertex
    I've watched almost all the extra credit videos! They have great content.  I am currently using blender for modeling.  And I know that game design isent just the art, but Its something I like to do and wanted to see what people thought.
  • MartinTK
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinTK polycounter lvl 4
    I personally have never used blender but have heard its quite robust with that it can do. In terms of modeling as a subset of game design I would focus most on the basics of art/modeling. Know your large forms and how to vary them with smaller details to make a believable character/environment. Know some about color theory and how to balance contrast in your character/environments. While anatomy is important I think learning the main shapes that make up a body 'head, chest, pelvis' and knowing how to apply them will be of most use to you. And most importantly, your character/environments must be able to tell a story just by looking at it. Also a good rule of thumb, if you ask for critique on something and 3/5 people comment on the same thing, its a safe bet that you should probable change it haha, just good advice I got that I think helps me filter out what crits I should pay attention to most.

Also posting and being a part of the forums will be really useful for you, keep it up and keep being involved and posting :)

Also if you haven't seen him yet check out "Game Makers Toolkit" its a great youtube channel that goes over game design.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/McBacon1337 
  • Ben_Kaiser
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Kaiser vertex
    Alright sounds good!  I will check out his channel and keep up on the forums.