Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Can't seem to bake maps correctly, any ideas?

Hey, Polycount.

So i've been bashing my head recently trying to figure out what it is I am doing wrong to not get decent normal map bakes out of substance painter. I've searched the web and have tried many different methods of bake out maps but to no avail  I still get nasty artifacts that I just do not know how to get rid of. Any help would much be appreciated.

Here are some screen shots of my object and the type of bakes I would get out of substance painter.
I am also leaving the .obj files If anyone would like to trouble shoot my issue. Im just not sure if its my model or bake setting.
Thanks, have a good one!

OBJ Files : http://www.mediafire.com/?0egcp4nal044i

UV Snap Shot

Low Rez
High Rez
4k Rez bake In Substance Painter
4K Normal Map Exported From Substance Painter

Replies

• MagosDomina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagosDomina vertex
    Just a guess but the geometry that's pilled on in the corners seems like the culprit here. It looks as if only areas with many different faces intersecting are having this artifact issue. Are you using maya? Does the same issue occur if you render with mental ray?
  • jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    If you're baking in Substance Painter, you might consider adjusting the distances.
  • brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandv3d polycounter lvl 12
    It looks like it's a uv issue. They may be flipped or something. Try baking in Xnormals and see if it changes your results.
  • DaveW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaveW polycounter lvl 14
    The problem is with your normals, which is probably caused by whatever modelling technique you're using to end up with such terrible topology on the low poly mesh. Importing either OBJ into 3DSMax shows some very, very weird shading problems.

I imported both the Low and High resolution meshes, reset the normals and smoothing groups on the high, did the same on the low and then ran it through TexTools 'Smoothing Groups to UV Shells'. Threw it all into Painter, default bake settings without using a cage, and it works:

• DavidCVillari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, Thank you so much Dave, and everyone else for your time and giving me some feed back all is very much appreciated. I just switched over to 3ds max from Maya about a week ago and am trying to get down a decent workflow for game assets. I didn't know there was a modifier for editing normals. So I never bothered to check. It is odd that I didn't catch the shading errors earlier. I did a lot of symmetry when I was modeling the low res so im assuming that was the culprit so such out of wack normals. 

I repeated the process that you stated Dave and everything came out perfectly. I've been having this similar projects of mine. Im going to go through them and take a look. This was major help Thank you again guys! 

Cheers!