Home Technical Talk

blender

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
so i thought I would give blender a blast. I last tried it yonks ago, maybe '2000' or something when it was truly awful. pleasantly surprised really, but my overall view is that its like cut price maya and it crashes a lot.
renderer leaves a lot to be desired and ui is a bit weird, but I found it better than lightwave LOL

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Implying Maya doesn't crash a lot...
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Blender crashes/bugs much less than any other 3D package I've tried.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't remember the last time Blender crashed for me.  Houdini has crashed once for me since January.  I use Max and Maya at work and they crash much more often.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I've been working on with my current character project for a couple of months and I haven't got any crashes. Been retopologizing 10-20 million polygon meshes in the viewport without problems. You don't even need to decimate in Zbrush for Blender. Extremely stable software from my experience.

"Renderer leaves a lot to be desired". Quality-wise Cycles is equal to V-Ray or Arnold for example. Just you wait for the awesome Principled BSDF node for Cycles which will be in the upcoming Blender 2.79. If you don't want to wait, just pick up the 2.79 Release Candidate already. Keep using it, experiment and learn, you'll get used to it eventually.

It's a game developer -friendly node, similar to what UE4 has:
    https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/render/cycles/nodes/types/shaders/principled.html

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    indeed, coming from 3ds max the lack of sudden crashes of the "hmmmmmm, so what does this little thingie do... <click> .... BOOOM" kind was a revelation for me. when i work with someone on a shared dropbox i no longer get the "WTF! why are you updating these files like every 5 seconds" comments anymore either. :)

the downside with blender is just when it crashes for me, it plain vanishes and i'm sometimes left dumbfounded as to the whereabouts of the blender UI for a moment.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    just my impression. maya rarely crashes for me, max more so and blender seemed to crash quite a lot

hmm cycles is not on the same level as vray, mental ray etc IMHO
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz said:
    just my impression. maya rarely crashes for me, max more so and blender seemed to crash quite a lot

hmm cycles is not on the same level as vray, mental ray etc IMHO
    Give them crash reports because you might be exposing a bug they don't know about. 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah - and considering that more and more people are starting to use the program, it would be great to know what causes these bugs on your end so that we can avoid running into them ! On my end I can safely say that Blender has been way more stable than both Max and Maya, but that of course doesn't mean that it is the same for everyone.

Also, some advice to ease out your transition (so far it worked very well for someone I recently helped along) : 

• Set your viewport controls this way : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fqTUyDts0
    (do NOT use the Max/Maya presets presented on startup - they change too many apsects of the program and will only frustrate you when following the official documentation).

• You might want to give this video a look (the one called "Introduction to Blender for Zbrush users") :
    https://gumroad.com/masterxeon1001
    • Leave all the shortcuts as default and explore the program for about a month before attempting to heavily tweak things. 

You can also have a look at my own transition thread :

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?351344-Customization-questions-from-a-Blender-curious-2d-3d-artist&highlight=

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    While the Principled BSDF shader isn't here (in the official release), there's a way to emulate\approximate PBR in Cycles in @JedTheKrampus's thread:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/152769/jeds-tutorial-spot

There's also this list of tutorials:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/154788/blender-tutorials
  • Carlosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan polycounter lvl 10

Blender 2.79 comes with some new exciting features, and one of them is the Principled BSDF.

Normally a new shader lets you create one more type of material. But this is different, because this is like every shader rolled into one. Simplifying the complex node setups that were required before, into simple easy to use sliders.

There are 3 reasons why this is big news:

1. It's simpler and easier to use
    2. It's automatically realistic (eg. proper roughness & fresnel)
    3. It gives consistent results between applications (like Substance to Blender)

In fact, it's likely that 95% of all your future materials will be made using the Principled BSDF, because it's so powerful!

Source

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Blender does crashes sometimes but I found it much rarely than 3d max 18 for example.   And when crashing it would most probably  write down a whole scene  in  quit.blend  file in user  appdata/local/temp/   folder .   Not always although.    If not a quit file ,maybe a few autosaves which don't hurdle your work during the process like with 3dmax.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the bug I has seemed to happen mainly when cycling quickly through settings on  a parameter, say changing a light intensity or similar.
    I will give blender another go though . for a free program I can't complain too much

will look at the UI settings pior, cheers for that

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    I really like it. Sure it's not perfect and misses a few things here and there - partly because I just used max for ages, and have to think differently about some topics.
    But overall it's fairly feature complete, UI and UX is pretty enjoyable after getting used to it, and it's free (I'm too old to pirate software for my machine at home... ) And its open source .. ah not forget the python scripting which is also pretty nice. Next versions look promising as well, so I'm sold on it :)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Strange UI it has, spontaneously crashing, it does not.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanga : actually it does :) I am personally not getting the one crash that Ruz mentioned, but I am definitely getting some on a semi-regular basis : crashes when adjusting the viewport parameters of materials, especially when tweaking specular hardness and color. Now I cannot really complain since I have not taken the steps to report this issue just yet, but it definitely got to a point where I am getting nervous tweaking these parameters and always saving before I do so.

In short : the fact that one doesn't get a specific bug, doesn't mean that the app doesn't have any ...
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I'm surprised no company has released a clone of 3DS Max/Maya and just call it a day.

As much as I hate paying those ripoff prices for Autodesk, the whole modeling interface just can't be beat. I tried Blender last week and I can't get over its "freeware" look.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    if i think freeware look, i think milkshape 3d. and that's not even free.

not sure the autodesk apps are such great examples either. max out of the box is a mess of buttons and functionality hidden away in endless rollouts plus the inconsistent look of an app comprised of 3rd party plugins. then there's maya with it's endless whitespace in the GUI and a menu structure seemingly modeled on the labyrinth of crete. but hey, at least you can assign your entire keyboard to different marking menu's to enable fast access so you don't have to look through a shelf stacked to the brim with icons that look like identical twins... ;)

sure you can get used to them - but interfaces that can't be beat - really?

• Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    After over a decade of using max and maya professionally I've fully switched over to Blender. It's intimidating but once you get used to it it's a delight to use. Feels way ahead and more "pro" than max/maya in many ways. Yeah you don't have big dumb icons everywhere but get used to the hotkey based workflows and you are flying :). And once you get into customizing it, adding custom menus, context sensitive hotkeys etc, it gets crazy powerful. 

"freeware look".. I personally think it looks great and love the utilitarian snappy UI. it's exactly what I want for productivity.

Also, the sculpting tools in blender are actually pretty good, and it can push crazy high triangle counts. Again, super customize-able and you can get Orb's brushes for it :) https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/86419
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Peris said:
    After over a decade of using max and maya professionally I've fully switched over to Blender. It's intimidating but once you get used to it it's a delight to use. Feels way ahead and more "pro" than max/maya in many ways. Yeah you don't have big dumb icons everywhere but get used to the hotkey based workflows and you are flying :). And once you get into customizing it, adding custom menus, context sensitive hotkeys etc, it gets crazy powerful. 

"freeware look".. I personally think it looks great and love the utilitarian snappy UI. it's exactly what I want for productivity.

Also, the sculpting tools in blender are actually pretty good, and it can push crazy high triangle counts. Again, super customize-able and you can get Orb's brushes for it :) https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/86419
    I have you to blame for taking a look at Blender after I read that you use it. and while I only have spent a day or two in it I am already feeling that this could be something!
    Sort of the same feeling I had with Modo when first starting to use that.

Feels very fresh and while the UI feels odd coming from 7 years of Max use, I can already see the power of it once you get the hotkeys down to musclememory :)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i think it really comes down to which workflow you prefer
    some people are used to click most things which is not that great in blender
    but once you get used to the hotkeys it gets really powerful and fast

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Both with Max and Maya I am constantly in search of  "where is that checkbox or button  I pushed last time when I did same thing before"     or with Max specifically  where is that extra script  or why it doesn't work  now.  What's the hidden condition in some deep down rollout I forgot.    
         Surprisingly I've never forgot anything in Blender. I bet it's due to its  elegant interface  and  structured multi button hotkey idea.     I did recreated MAx viewport navigation  and  1; 2; 3     Max sub-object  selection modes  in Blender    but all the other hotkeys are Blender original.      Now I have my MAx hotkeys mostly recreating the Blender ones.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Ruz said:

so i thought I would give blender a blast. I last tried it yonks ago, maybe '2000' or something when it was truly awful. pleasantly surprised really, but my overall view is that its like cut price maya and it crashes a lot.

Lolz..yeah thankfully has morphed into a completely different beast since those days. I'd first picked it up in 2004 (2.4xx) when transitioning over too digital from a 'classically' trained traditional painter/sculptor (base-relief) background and has been my core 3D package. I'd say the initial attraction from the outset is it's OSS GNU collaborative ethos. All important by definition as I'm a self professed advocate against "closed garden" DCC proprietary solutions, to be clear just a personal POV nothing in a sense adversarial by any means.   

Anyways If it's a bug and you've got the time report it, dependant upon version there maybe errors affecting stability...so an earlier 2.7x main trunk build and give it another try? Plus 2.8 is scheduled for release in Nov.  

renderer leaves a lot to be desired and ui is a bit weird, but I found it better than lightwave LOL

Hmm...well in that case Bforartists - https://www.bforartists.de/

...a fully functional Blender fork, could be worthwhile trialling instead?! come to think of it I've yet to run a test myself, probably blockout a "free" weekend next month. 

JordanN said:

I tried Blender last week and I can't get over its "freeware" look.

...possibly the most funniest statement I've read - ever!

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If anything, it looks like Unity+Modo. 
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    kanga said:
    Strange UI it has, spontaneously crashing, it does not.
    Yoda? Is that you? 

Never had a crash trying out Blender, very stable for me. Maya crashed very little for me, but a lot of others complained about it crashing.

Now I'm learning Max for its superior modeling suite and it crashes like a mofo. Fml
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    WTF so who changed title of the thread to something really stupid? I don't think there was any rant .here. maybe we need a change of mods :)

re blender I made loads of progress on it, can actually model , unwrap and do the majority of stuff I need now:)
    I wish that there was a better viewport display though. the rendered preview is good and the
    matcaps are ok
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Ruz - how are you finding Blender to use now you're more comfortable with it? I think 2.79 is getting the updated viewport right?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well its quite nice really but still need a bit more polish i think to make me totally sold on it. i have n't achieved the sort of renders yet that I am happy with, but maybe that's just a lack of knowledge so far. re modelling though its fine I can actually work on stuff, though i think it would take longer before I can use it full time.

The thing that really annoys me a ( a bit) is the camera clipping , you have to change it manually on each viewport. wish there was a global switch to turn it off.
    I wish you could have custom menus with all the commands i use regularly, I am not really a keyboard shortcut type of guy, though I have been using them. (maybe you can do this already I bet. will check it out tonight)

I wish for the viewport there was something like max where you can see the lighting on the model without using the rendered view, which is 'not quite' real time.

re the UI I sometimes get a bit lost but then i can just reload my scene with the default UI which is cool

I have been using the material node editor and as someone non techy I have been pleasantly surprised with it.

the program seems to have a lot in common with both maya and cinema 4d
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Yeah the freeware look is repelling and there is not a single option to customise it. In other programs you can  choose between awesome looking themes like light grey, dark grey, middle grey, not so light grey... ;)

The viewport has some issues but will be addressed as Torch wrote, think the big changes are in 2.8 though.
    Don't know the max viewport but you can see the lighting in the material and texture view, though not a beauty.

Have a look at the pie menue, I think that's what you want.

What kind of renders are you trying to achieve inside Blender? Are you using BI or Cycles?
    The Principled BSDF as mentioned before will surely be helpful for pbr stuff.

• wannabe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wannabe polycounter lvl 18
    I've been where you are when it comes to my views about blender. It was very much on/off for me since somewhere around 2.4x ish. At this point I've really come to love it and i use it at work almost daily when it comes to real time assets. What did the trick for me is an all customized UI and addon folder...

Let me link some stuff:

Custom UI + Several Addons:
    https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?352666-Input-Custom-Blender-Setup-Silo-Maya-esque

YPanel (Tools for Real Time Assets):
    https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?421150-Addon-yPanel-Tools-for-realtime-asset-creation

Y.A.V.N.E (face weighted normals / I think this will make it into 2.79.. not sure though):
    https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?393179-Addon-Yet-Another-Vertex-Normal-Editor-(Y-A-V-N-E-)

HardOps (great for hardsurface stuff):
    https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?387735-Hard-Ops-Thread

Magic UV:
    https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?391573-Add-on-Magic-UV-v4-4-(Copy-Paste-UV-Preserve-UVs-UV-Bounding-Box-and-so-on)

Asset Management:
    https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?391114-Addon-Asset-Management

DECALmachine:
    https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?420355-Addon-DECALmachine

These are just a few of a lot of awesome plugins which only cost a few bucks in most cases... most of them are free.
    I'd highly recommend checking out this part of the blenderartists.org forum:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?48-Released-Scripts-and-Themes

You'll probably find a lot of stuff that'll suit your needs.

Regarding the viewport i am really looking forward towards 2.8 release. The new evee viewport looks very nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ew87R_mxA
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    my sarcasm detector seems to be failing here on these last posts but just to be safe -

lit and shaded geo in the viewport, overlayed with a custom pie menu (set up like a context sensitive version of maya's hotbox):

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    thomasp said:
    my sarcasm detector seems to be failing here on these last posts but just to be safe -

lit and shaded geo in the viewport, overlayed with a custom pie menu (set up like a context sensitive version of maya's hotbox):

Sorry, edited post to make it a bit easier for the detector.
  • Fstain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fstain polycounter lvl 2
    Blender rules.

I've been through most of the software out there. I think Maya was the only software aside from Blender that really felt like "Yeah I could use this." But that Maya was 4.5... back in 2002 or something.

So yeah... Blender exclusively since that time. I used Maya for like a year or something. :smiley:

PS: I really dislike XSI and it went belly up under the careful supervision of Autodesk. Amazing. *clap*
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Ruz said:
    I wish for the viewport there was something like max where you can see the lighting on the model without using the rendered view, which is 'not quite' real time.
    I have actually found this addon to be quite useful for the viewport's OpenGL lights, because Blender's default is kinda awful. And you can edit presets, and create and save your custom lights:

You can get it from here: http://blenderaddonlist.blogspot.fi/2014/08/addon-opengl-lights.html

I'm not sure is this something you're looking for, but it's worth getting though.

But in general, you'll get the hang of Blender eventually.

This another addon is a MUST, at least for me. Meshlint, where you can check the "anatomy" of your mesh from bad topology.
    https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Modeling/MeshLint

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    thomasp, that's awesome, sarcastic or not:)

yeah i was already heading back to just having 1 viewport view like I do in other programs. hate too much clutter

some great links too from
    Wannabe and FourtyNights. look forward to going through all of it

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    you can also have matcaps displayed on your mesh, like zbrush
    which is pretty nice to check surfaces
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    viewport again - have a look at the realtime demo scenes at https://www.blender.org/download/demo-files/
    there's probably more on blenderartists if you search for it.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    some really nice demos there thomasp, foofd for thought really.
    just wondering also if there is any way to preview imported images within blender as blender does n't use the standard windows UI when importing. maya has an option to use either
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there Ruz - 

• You can switch the file browser to display thumbnails (it's in the options, up there !). Unlike Maya there is no way to use the native OS windows for file browsing, but also unlike Maya ... the native Blender browser is actually very powerful, especially with the way it handles bookmarks. I too was looking for a way to switch to OS style at first, but now I wouldn't want to switch anymore.

• Regarding customization and shortcuts : there is unfortunately a lot of terrible advice floating around, mostly coming from users who started 3d directly with Blender and recommending to "learn its default shortcuts". Now of course there are some very clever default hotkeys (especially the way they are well unified all over the program) but overall it's obvious that everyone has different needs. Unfortunately even addon creators tend to make the problem worse by forcing their own crazy hotkeys. Really an unfortunate situation.

Now there are a few things you can do. First, everything can be remapped either directly by right clicking on menu items, or by editing the mappings in the options (this takes some getting used to though because there is no error prevention there, meaning that you can end up deleting hotkeys and not being able to recreate them since they are defined directly as python commands).

But there is also a fantastic paid addon called "Pie Menu Editor". Unlike what the name suggests it is not only a tool to create pie menus (which I am personally not a huge fan of) - it also lets you create your own regular pop up menus as well as macros. I just spent some time configuring it for my needs and I can now work completely in full screen from the sculpting phase all the way to retopo. I have my regular custom hotkeys for my primary tools, and all my secondary tools in one single pop up menu.

Unfortunately the addon doesn't come with documentation and the videos that the author provides are awful (slow, with no narration, and cringe worthy folk music in the background). Which means that the addon takes an hour or two to understand as opposed to the 5 minutes it would take if there was just a simple help page provided. If you're interested I can write or record a quick breakdown.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Did you get the results you expect from the renderer? Make sure to have a look at the compositing as well.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers pior, it would help a lot of people if you could do a quick tutorial on that. seems that once I get organized blender will be very useful to me.
    shame about the os , but as you say its not at all 'that' bad.I am sure I will get used to it apart for some reason the text in blender is very hard to read. might be my monitor, not sure

prime8 - not quite there yet, but a big improvement this week. I am loathe to post anything yet:)
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    For text size : 

You can also load your own font but I think the one by default is quite good.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    The pie menu editor is awesome, and if you don't want to pay it's also pretty easy to just script your own menus in python if you're not too scared of touching code. Blender has a built in scripting editor and even has templates in there that help you set it up. I put together my own context-sensitive menus that give me quick access to tools I haven't hotkeyed. Definitely worth it :) 

I found this tutorial very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pim5YIfWv-M
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there man, here's a quick rundown of the menu editor. The addon is convoluted to operate at first, but extremely powerful. Sorry for the lowres capture and bad audio, had to do that quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Z8un0tqas&amp;feature=youtu.be
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Just wanted to chime in here, that I've never bothered tinkering with Blender's functionality or hotkeys. I find them good enough as they are, and I've memorized a ton of them and changing them wouldn't make sense for me. Like the Alt + G you've mapped (pior) for your custom purposes is for clearing the object's location and I happen to use that sometimes (Alt + S for clearing the scale, and Alt + R for clearing the rotation, and I use them too). My Blender is pretty much default because of memorization of hotkeys and the official documentation for them.

Ah, the pie menus, they look cool... but I remember when they introduced them for the first time I wasn't interested, and I'm still not interested, because I've used Blender long before any pie menus, and got used to the standard usability.

I already find installing a couple of addons for every new version of Blender laborius enough. :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's completely possible to simply stick with the the defaults. The issue is that quite a few people actually recommend sticking to the almighty defaults, which is simply awful advice :) Blender is no different than any other program - it's just a matter of understanding the way it works and how things are organized, and then it's up to anyone to customize it or not from there.

For instance since I do not consider clearing transforms as a primary function that I need instant access to at all times, I don't need it in my keymap. Therefore I might as well use the button for something else. But again everyone is different, that's the whole point.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well i have the memory of a senile donkey so that's fine for me Pior. thanks for taking the time to post the video.
    I  will install it tonight.
    Also If I did not read it wrong vray is also available for blender now at a very reasonable cost
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @Ruz I'm curious what you're looking from V-Ray instead of Cycles to get better renders? Since you said "renderer leaves a lot to be desired" in your first post, and I guess you meant Cycles, right?

Personally I haven't used offline renderers almost at all, apart from rare quick'n dirty tests from Cycles. I usually go straight to real-time, like how we all end up rendering our stuff anyways.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    If you're rendering with Cycles these days just get a daily build and use the principled BRDF. It covers all situations that you'll ever need except for maybe skin, hair, and architectural glass, and depending on how realistic or fast of a shader you need you can probably just use it for those as well.

The daily build also has a denoiser for Cycles if I recall correctly, which is extremely helpful.

The combination of the principled BRDF, the denoiser, and adaptive subdivision for displacement mapping makes Cycles pretty nice to work with, up to a certain amount of scene complexity. I will admit that I do most of my renders in Toolbag these days though.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well its more that I am looking at cherry picking the kind of thing I want from software, which is fine i think.
    probably vray is more commonly used and I have use it a fair bit also, maybe getting more predictable results
    I am not saying cycles is crap, far from it. maybe I will end up using it more than vray, could n't say at this point, just keeping my options open